ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Trophy press launch

Chris Harris from Autocar and the guys from Auto Express, PGTi and Max Power drove the car yesterday and today at the Pont lEveque circuit (this is the one on the Trophy video on the Renaultsport site). All loved it, the turn in and driection changes are very quick and the damper control is fantastic. We took them to the factory to see them being built also.

Itll be in Autocar and Auto Express next week. Autocar will be interesting as they drove the car with Jean Ragnotti a few months ago when it was being developed.

Itll be in Car, Evo, PGTi and the other monthlys in their issues that come out in August.

Lee

BMW M2C

Was just going to call and ask how it went. lol

[Edited by Lee on 6/28/2005 8:39:09 PM]

Bloody voicemail, get off the phone man. ;)

Autocars front cover this week

"Worlds Greatest Hot Hatch"

"Genius has never come so cheap"

6 pages on the Trophy, "Best value performance car on sale in the UK today"

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 05 July 2005

Autocars front cover this week

6 pages on the Trophy, "Best value performance car on sale in the UK today"

I thought they test drove the trophy though. :p

Autocars front cover this week "Worlds Greatest Hot Hatch""Genius has never come so cheap"6 pages on the Trophy, "Best value performance car on sale in the UK today"

Stromba will be gutted.

:-(

/y0z

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 05 July 2005
Ill wait for a proper magazine review, rather than Autocacks opinion.

Awww bless.

The Jinx

Im sure you can guess. I have pestered them enough times to get them to put the 2 supposed greatest hatches on test together and determine the outcome once and for all. Still waiting though.

172 Cup

So which magazine would that be ?

That new magazine "Williamsisthebestwthingsinceslicedbread" monthly....

The Jinx

I dont own a williams though. I wasnt slating the trophy, just pointing out that those 4 mags are pap. Ive had that opinion of autocack since I was able to read. The same goes for AE. Ive read that since the very first issue and its gone steadily worse.

Just Read the Autocar review. Lets just say they couldnt praise it higher. Some quotes

"The best value performance car on sale in the UK today"

Chris Harris loved it to bits. Have to say that it does make me want one.

Harris says the new dampers cost 10x the price of standard! Wouldnt want to have to replace them!:eek:

The new Clio Trophy would dump on an ancient old Williams from a very big height. Anyone who cant see that probably lives somewhere surrounded by cuckoos...get real.

(Or join the Morris Minor fanatics who probably think their cars are still as fast as modern machinery too...)

The newest 182 is brilliant and those sl*gging off Autocar and Auto Express couldnt stay with their test drivers if their lives depended on it.

Again, get real.

MINI JCW

I dont own a williams though. I wasnt slating the trophy, just pointing out that those 4 mags are pap. Ive had that opinion of autocack since I was able to read. The same goes for AE. Ive read that since the very first issue and its gone steadily worse.

I think Autocar is quite good, care to name a better mag and for god sake dont say topgear.

As for the 182 v Williams debate its no contest, the 182 is faster in a straight line, faster round the track and more comfortable, its called progress!

The Jinx

Didnt say they couldnt drive did I? Or that the willy was better did I?

I said the magazines are sh*te and always have been. AE caters for the middle-aged that are mildly interested in cars. Autocack is overly opinionated on some manufacturers and always has been.

Oh, and I dont wish to start a willy vs 182 arguement cos theyre far too common and pointless, but if youve ever been on a run out with a mix of cars like the willy and 182 youllsee that the real world difference on real roads really is small. It takes HUGE differences in power to make a hugely noticable difference on the road.

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 05 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 05 July 2005I dont own a williams though. I wasnt slating the trophy, just pointing out that those 4 mags are pap. Ive had that opinion of autocack since I was able to read. The same goes for AE. Ive read that since the very first issue and its gone steadily worse.[/QUOTE] I think Autocar is quite good, care to name a better mag and for god sake dont say topgear.As for the 182 v Williams debate its no contest, the 182 is faster in a straight line, faster round the track and more comfortable, its called progress!

Topgear is also cack. The only 2 mainstream ones of note are Evo and Car. (However, even they seem to be getting a little tedious of late.)

As for willy vs 182 Im not getting involved other than what Ive already said. Thats not what the thread is about.

Ive never been *that* keen on the new shape clios but I have to say I like the Trophy a lot.

I think the colour has something to do with it... (red appears to be my favourite colour going from my car history!)

I want one! (Anyone got a spare 15k they want to give me??)

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 05 July 2005

I think Autocar is quite good, care to name a better mag and for god sake dont say topgear.

As for the 182 v Williams debate its no contest, the 182 is faster in a straight line, faster round the track and more comfortable, its called progress!

Of course you are right mate, but there will always be the rose-tint brigade and their silly dreams. LMFAO.

Is the evo feature a full one JT, rather than one of their brief "driven" ones?
They are driving it this week in Italy so theyll have it for a few days. The article wil appear in the issue that goes on sale at the start of next month

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 05 July 2005Is the evo feature a full one JT, rather than one of their brief "driven" ones?[/QUOTE]They are driving it this week in Italy so theyll have it for a few days. The article wil appear in the issue that goes on sale at the start of next month

So a should be a full fat article then? Thats good to hear.

I cant stand those little ones they do that sound like theyve just quoted the press release and stuck in a few of their own oft-used phrases.

Many publications are great in their own way.

I subscribe to 6 magazines and all are enjoyable.

Test Drive, Evo, Car, Autocar, Auto Express and Diesel Car.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

:sleep: lets not go off topic.. Trophy looks a nice car and I look forward to the evo review.

106 GTi

Just grabbed Autocar not had a chance to read it yet, there is also a half page guide talking about what a bargain a second hand MK1 172 is as well.

Lee

BMW M2C

I just grabbed the last copy in Tesco.

Excellent review, but then I would say that. lol

"a glance in the mirror shows the Clio Cup bucking and squirming on the limit to keep up. And as for the chasing Clio V6, I think I can see the drivers white knuckles from here". :D