ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 vs vectra gsi

3.2 liter quick cars particulr as speed build up and the Clio looses as power to weight doesn't matter and raw hp makes a difference plus aerodynamics.

Nimbus Clio 197
it could either be a 2.5, a 2.6 or a 3.2. it depends on what age/reg it was! the bigger engined ones will be quicker mid-range and top end than a 182

Nissan 350Z
I've driven a 3.2 GSI. As you can see, I own a 182.

In terms of driving fun, no comparison. The 182 is soooo much better. It feels keener around corners, and feels faster up to 100. Its noisier, more raw, and more involving by far.

If you are looking for a grown up cruiser though, the Vectra is a nice choice. Nice cockpit, comfortable, and refined.

3.2 V6 as already said. Sounds great from the outside. From the inside? A tad muted, TBH. Dissapointing. What you can hear sounds good, but theres just not enough.

Very tall geared. Can crack 70 in 2nd, and over a ton in third.

In terms of speed, well, from 0-100, not much in it IMO. 182 definitely feels quicker due to being smaller, lighter, and less refined. However, the 182, especially at 60+ is no quicker, and at 100+ the GSI is definitely quicker. No mistake. It pulls hard even after 100 where the 182/172 or any other small hot hatch, for that matter struggles. I have no reason to doubt its 155 claimed top speed.

Nissan 350Z
They do feel more effortless than the clio's, but TBH, its still not the kind of car that has the same effortless in-gear acceleration as a modern turbo diesel at real world speeds.

From 50-70 in 5th, I have to say I found it no quicker than the Clio from 50-70 in 5th. The difference was, at 70 in the Vectra you were still only doing about 2,500 RPM whereas in the Clio its nearer 3500!

Best bet i thought was still to change down a couple of cogs.

TBH, as a motorway muncher, i'd choose the diesel. Its not enough of a drivers car to warrant the probable 20 MPG fuel consumption.

mk2 ph1
Engine Size:2498 ccCylinders:60-60 mph:7.4 sPower Output:192 bhpValves:24Torque:262 NmTorque:193 lb/ftTop Speed:148 mph

Nissan 350Z
Which one was it, the old, crappy "cavalier" vectra or the newer one?

The newer one is a lot quicker. I'd have thought a 182 should keep an older one at bay.

Nissan 350Z
Old chavalier style then.

So what they might be quick(ish) in a straight line, but they'll plough into the nearest tree as soon as it hits a corner.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
cossie dave said:
had one of these v6 things up my rear could not shake it wots top end on these i slowed up at a ton and it shot past

Oh....you must have assumed (up until you met the vectra anyway) that the 182 is/was invincible then....:sleepy:

It was probably the new VXR Vectra.....I believe they are on a par with the M3 and RS4....on Top gear a few episodes ago and they are s**t quick!

Its great when you get put in your place though isn't it.

It humbles you.

Especially when its a Vauxhall!

Sadly, you picked the wrong car to try and shake!

Nissan 350Z
^ it wouldnt have been a VXR if it was a 2000 shape one. They only came out this year.

Another fact you must remember - the slipstream effect. If a car is behind you, then they have a huge aerodynamic advantage. I managed to stay behind an ST220 in a standard Fabia vRS just by driving up close behind, up to silly speeds.

Likewise, i had a fairly standard Focus stay right up my chuff when i had a mk2 8v Golf GTI in a similar situation.

mk1 172
The 2000 X plate, goes really well 60+ as somebody said before, they crack about 100 in 3rd. Decent piece of kit, well up to silly speeds.

It was my Dad's, so did try the off the lights, kill him 0-60, but catch them on a rolling start and its anybodies race!

Clio 172 mk2
R8TDL said:
Oh....you must have assumed (up until you met the vectra anyway) that the 182 is/was invincible then....:sleepy:

It was probably the new VXR Vectra.....I believe they are on a par with the M3 and RS4....on Top gear a few episodes ago and they are sh*t quick!

Its great when you get put in your place though isn't it.

It humbles you.

Especially when its a Vauxhall!

Sadly, you picked the wrong car to try and shake!

No way is any Vectra, VXR etc on a par with an RS4...and we're not just talking outright speed. power etc here

I know what I'd rather be seen in:D

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Oh, sorry...

New VXR =
  • 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds (hatch) 6.7 seconds (estate)
  • Top speed: 161mph (hatch) 158mph (estate)

Nissan 350Z
Dave_W said:
The 2000 X plate, goes really well 60+ as somebody said before, they crack about 100 in 3rd. Decent piece of kit, well up to silly speeds.

It was my Dad's, so did try the off the lights, kill him 0-60, but catch them on a rolling start and its anybodies race!

That was me saying they cracked a ton in third, but i was talking about the 2004 shape GSI, but still i concur.

Neil - well, yes... lol

The new Vectra was given a very good review byevo magazine though, even against an STi/wrx/whatever impreza and I think an Evo 9!

Clio 172 mk2
R8TDL said:
Oh, sorry...

New VXR =
  • 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds (hatch) 6.7 seconds (estate)
  • Top speed: 161mph (hatch) 158mph (estate)

Great..more figures

Like I said..regardless of speed, power......

Nissan 350Z
White16valver said:
Neil - well, yes... lol

The new Vectra was given a very good review byevo magazine though, even against an STi/wrx/whatever impreza and I think an Evo 9!

Judged by my drive of the GSI, the driving dynamics would have to be massively improved in the VXR version to stand a chance against focused rally machines like the Scooby and Evo.

Clio 172 mk2
pbirkett said:
Judged by my drive of the GSI, the driving dynamics would have to be massively improved in the VXR version to stand a chance against focused rally machines like the Scooby and Evo.

I think Vauxhall are catching up with the OE Subaru & evo but still not in the same league....especially when the jap cars are modified.

You look at cars like the WRX STi RA and you've got a brutal rally bred car out of the box...not just about all out bhp but things like weight saving, short ratio box, IC spray etc....good technology even in the late 90s

172CUP/Fiesta supersport
i've had a go with a couple of the 2.5 v6 w,x plate sort of jobs and they didn't really trouble me at all up to a ton then I lifted off, no 100+ driving for me I like my licence too much.