ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 with 5 points on license.. Help!!

2004 Clio 182
Hi All

To cut a long story short, I (without my knowledge) reversed into a parked car last october outside my work, Wasn't aware of it at the time so drove off (there was no visible damage to my car, a slight scuff on hers) Two independent witnesses saw me do it, so despite me protesting that I had no knowledge of it I got given 6 points on my license and just under a £300 fine in April. Got 3 seperate offences on my license (AC10 - Failing to stop after an accident, AC20 - Failing to give particulars or to report an accident within 24 hour & CD10 - Driving without due care and attention all with two points each)

So renewal time comes up on my insurance this week, Last year I paid £820 for fully comp with admiral on my 182 (Im 25, License for 7 years), And admiral have informed me that I can no longer have insurance with them as they do not insure anyone with a "Driving without due care and attention" conviction on their license.

So today I am Insurance hunting, the cheapest I can now find for my 182 is £3100!! (The guy on the phone said he could get it down to under £3k if I put a parent as a named driver).

Does anyone have any idea who I could try for something cheaper? I really don't want to have to lose my 182 over a scuff on a ladys bumper, Although at the moment It is looking like I am going to have to.

Any companies that specialize on people with points? Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

2004 Clio 182
No chance you didn't notice. No point lying mate.

Green light, sky, brentacre, flux.

Why would I lie on here? Believe it or not, I didnt notice. Although I remember on the day I had a horrible cold and was off my face on hardcore cold and flu tablets, so probably wasnt at my most perceptive.

Anyway, thanks for the companies

​Andy

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
lol Give the bloke a break!

6 points and a 'without due care' on his license!

He's been rogered quite enough already I'd say! ;)

2004 Clio 182
No NCB either, My Insurance got charged £400 for the respray of her car and for the rental car she used while it was being resprayed :( .... Yeah. I got buttfu*ked!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Thats pretty scary you claim not to have noticed.

Surely if you were so bad on the meds and knew full well you were, you shouldn't have been driving at all?

2004 Clio 182
I spent the whole evening before not being able to get to sleep because I felt so crappy, Took some tablet's, Didnt realise they were drowsy. Woke up late for work and drove in, Hit school run traffic as I was running late, Reversed back to let someone past and lightly dinked a parked car without noticing . I didn't know why I was so out of it until I looked at the packet later that day.

Cant change what happened, I am well aware that it was stupid. This thread was asking for insurance companies, not asking for you to all get on your high horses about it.

172 Cup
"Sell" your car to a parent, put it down in there name on the log book, and you, yourself, go on it as a named driver. Few friends have done it in the past, and saved them a fortune in circumstances similar. But judging by your Points/carelessness your parents might say fudge off

"Sell" your car to a parent, put it down in there name on the log book, and you, yourself, go on it as a named driver. Few friends have done it in the past, and saved them a fortune in circumstances similar. But judging by your Points/carelessness your parents might say fudge off

AKA Fronting which is illegal.

172 Ph2

OP if you want to get yourself into further sh*te then please do this, it's easily spotted these days.

Or just don't do it and suck up the premium unfortunately.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Cant change what happened, I am well aware that it was stupid. This thread was asking for insurance companies, not asking for you to all get on your high horses about it.

This is true. Have you considered trading in the Clio for a high horse? Mine costs next to nothing to tax & insure.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I don't think i've ever come across anyone who's ever actually been done for 'fronting'. Its talked about - but thats where it ends. Nigh on possible to improve!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
AKA Fronting which is illegal.

Not saying it isn't illegal but how can it really be proven? If the car was in his name yet his parents were the insurance policy holder I can see how it's easily proven to be fronting. If the car is under his parents name and they're the insurance policy holder then there's no way of proving that he wasn't just borrowig the car?

172 Ph2
I don't think i've ever come across anyone who's ever actually been done for 'fronting'. Its talked about - but thats where it ends. Nigh on possible to improve!

It's one of the many reasons we have had such high insurance premiums so it's not about getting caught (although it is fraud and an offence) so no one should actively encourage it regardless of whether you get caught or not. Insurance companies price against risk (their own strategic risk appetites differ from company to company) and if that risk is altered to reflect a lower risk fraudulently they end up taking less premium but then thats less dosh for them to offset the higher likelyhood of large claims against them for that risk. If companies books are full of poor risks priced low through fraud they start to lose money and end up having to drive up costs, same effect as false whiplash claims it ends up costing us.

Insurance companies are not out to charge as much as they possibly can on every risk (yes they do price themselves out of some risks for good reason), they'll never gain any market share by doing so, there's plenty of competition to help drive down prices but there also comes a point they have to price accordingly for what they see from experience as poor risks and other costs like these examples.

Last edited:
  Ford Mustang 5.0
Hi All

To cut a long story short, I (without my knowledge) reversed into a parked car last october outside my work, Wasn't aware of it at the time so drove off (there was no visible damage to my car, a slight scuff on hers) Two independent witnesses saw me do it, so despite me protesting that I had no knowledge of it I got given 6 points on my license and just under a £300 fine in April. Got 3 seperate offences on my license (AC10 - Failing to stop after an accident, AC20 - Failing to give particulars or to report an accident within 24 hour & CD10 - Driving without due care and attention all with two points each)

So renewal time comes up on my insurance this week, Last year I paid £820 for fully comp with admiral on my 182 (Im 25, License for 7 years), And admiral have informed me that I can no longer have insurance with them as they do not insure anyone with a "Driving without due care and attention" conviction on their license.

So today I am Insurance hunting, the cheapest I can now find for my 182 is £3100!! (The guy on the phone said he could get it down to under £3k if I put a parent as a named driver).

Does anyone have any idea who I could try for something cheaper? I really don't want to have to lose my 182 over a scuff on a ladys bumper, Although at the moment It is looking like I am going to have to.

Any companies that specialize on people with points? Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

Andy

Drop me a PM with your contact details i'll get in touch and see what i can do for you mate.

We are really competitive on Cliosports models so if i can the points covered then you should be looking at a great price.

best regards
Neil
Greenlight
01277 376000

MR2 Mk1.5
Feel free to get in touch, tel: 01707 642552

skyfbimage_zpsf8bef167.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It's one of the many reasons we have had such high insurance premiums so it's not about getting caught (although it is fraud and an offence) so no one should actively encourage it regardless of whether you get caught or not. Insurance companies price against risk (their own strategic risk appetites differ from company to company) and if that risk is altered to reflect a lower risk fraudulently they end up taking less premium but then thats less dosh for them to offset the higher likelyhood of large claims against them for that risk. If companies books are full of poor risks priced low through fraud they start to lose money and end up having to drive up costs, same effect as false whiplash claims it ends up costing us.

Insurance companies are not out to charge as much as they possibly can on every risk
(yes they do price themselves out of some risks for good reason), they'll never gain any market share by doing so, there's plenty of competition to help drive down prices but there also comes a point they have to price accordingly for what they see from experience as poor risks and other costs like these examples.

LOL. Okay.

Market leader Direct Line, which owns the Churchill brand, saw profits from car insurance rise last year to £262m (2011: £255m). It will be paying £101m in dividends to shareholders on June 11 – equivalent to £25 per policy holder.

Admiral made a profit from the UK car insurance market of £372.8m in 2012 - a 19% increase on the previous year. Its UK car insurance profits were actually higher than Admiral’s overall profit, due to losses in overseas markets. Admiral increased its total dividend pay-out to shareholders by 20% to £245m – equivalent to £81 per customer.

AVIVA does not give a separate profit figure for car insurance, but its 2012 annual report says: “Personal motor premiums increased by 3% to £1,164 million (2011 £1,126m) and we have nearly 2.5 million personal motor customers, an increase of over 250,000 since the start of 2012. We continue to deliver good profitability in personal (motor insurance) lines.”

AXA UK & Ireland, part of global French-owned group, does not publish separate accounts, but it issued a statement on 21 February saying: “Motor profitability improved in 2012, thanks to pricing and risk selection actions.” It said it expects ‘improved results in 2013’. AXA has been particularly active in lobbying the Government for reforms to deter claims.

Liverpool Victoria, the fifth largest car insurer, saw its profits rise 11% in 2012 to £29.5 (2011: £26.5m).

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Jokes on here, I have 6 points for doing 51 in a 30, got taken to court, £400 fine my insurance is high for this and have suffered it for the last 3 years, you have to pay for your mistakes and take it like a man ( or sl*t ) it's not forever and loads of people in the same boat mate.

Can't afford it shot the car and get in a KA or other pony little motor that costs less.

Lesson learned, be grateful they didn't catch you in a doped up state.

172 Ph2
LOL. Okay.

What are you jibbering on about, you've quoted something that says they've made some money (strangely enough companies aim to make profit to grow) not that they charge gazillion pounds per risk for the fun of it.

I doubt the likes of Admiral and Direct Line are directly charging customers an extra £25/£81 per customer to pay their shareholders (they'd be pricing themselves out of the market), more likely the outcome of good risk selection and low operating costs increasing overall profitablity in order to enable them to pay higher dividend payments which in turn encourages an increase in share prices and the value of the company overall.

SQ5
Jokes on here, I have 6 points for doing 51 in a 30, got taken to court, £400 fine my insurance is high for this and have suffered it for the last 3 years, you have to pay for your mistakes and take it like a man ( or sl*t ) it's not forever and loads of people in the same boat mate.

Can't afford it shot the car and get in a KA or other pony little motor that costs less.

Lesson learned, be grateful they didn't catch you in a doped up state.

51 in a 60, you should of lost you licence. Stupid thing to do.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
51 in a 60, you should of lost you licence. Stupid thing to do.

Yep it was, was down the road from where I live to.

60 in a 30 will lose you your license, but I held my hands up and took the wrath of the court, certainly changed the way I drive.

SQ5
FLOL yes in 30.

I detest people that speed in 30's. It's that limit for a reason, any one could walk out.

I'm not saying I don't speed, I've been disqualified for it, but it was in a "safe" place.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
It does depend on the area tbh, there is a dual carrigeway right near me which was set to 40 a while ago ready for a load of new housing, housing has been called to a halt but it's still at the 40, no joke you do 40 along it and it's like you're going back in time. Even the most sensible drivers speed on there.

I have been followed by police along there doing 60 and they didn't bat an eye lid. b*****d council did put a speed camera van there every now and then, bet they cought stupid amount of people the crafty f**kers.

Another scenario is a single track lane thats about 1-2 mile long to the end, its all over the place and you wouldn't want to go over 40 on it in a normal car yet its a 60 road so does that make it safe to go 60?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I got let off with a swift warning for 57 in a 30. Admitted it right away, saw my passengers were all wearing seat belts told me to take it easy and enjoy the rest of my day. Awesome copper!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
It does depend on the area tbh, there is a dual carrigeway right near me which was set to 40 a while ago ready for a load of new housing, housing has been called to a halt but it's still at the 40, no joke you do 40 along it and it's like you're going back in time. Even the most sensible drivers speed on there.

I have been followed by police along there doing 60 and they didn't bat an eye lid. b*****d council did put a speed camera van there every now and then, bet they cought stupid amount of people the crafty f**kers.

Another scenario is a single track lane thats about 1-2 mile long to the end, its all over the place and you wouldn't want to go over 40 on it in a normal car yet its a 60 road so does that make it safe to go 60?

It's very safe if you know how to read the road and know when to do 60 and when not too.

A large part of my advanced course was on country lanes and they are great fun when you know what your doing.

It's no good just going hell for leather, it's all about showing restraint when you need to.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
As above really.

I was on a single carriageway 40 limit in population. It opened to dual carriageway with central reservation, no population. I automatically sped up to national speed limit and didn't read the road signs.

Was caught doing 50 in what was actually a 30 by a mobile speed camera.

My fault, broke the law and pay the price, but what I don't like is how environment isn't taken into account. When it's just a straight speed camera.

Our police force are very tolerant, alot of law breaking goes un punished because officers would rather see good intent in people and give them a chance. This is something that I am proud of our police for doing. Not long back i was pulled for doing 45 in a 40, the officer seemed genuinely concerned for my safety, firm chat and on my way.

Guess I'm saying in short I'd rather a policeman fine me than a camera!