ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 58 plate engine mounts

Hi, I am new to the forum and a fairly new 197 owner. I love the car, no I adore it! It is so much fun to drive. I do have a problem with it and hope someone can share their experience or knowledge please?

I've had the car just under 6 months and came out of the three year warranty in September.

The first issue: I have been experiencing the cold engine issue of the enging kangarooing or delayed power in first, second and third gear. Surfed the net for info and now wait for the engine to get warm
before setting off and have remapped to help increase the fuel input to the engine when cold. It has improved considerably, but still get the occassional hiccup. Before doing the remap I took it to a Renault dealership (Lookers, Chester) for its first MOT and service, mentioned the kangarooing they blamed it on the brakes seizing up!!

The second issue: May have been caused by the first one - the car has a clunk in the back when it
kangaroos. I suspect that it is the dog bone mounting that has been worn/damaged by the kangarooing
that is then causing the exhaust to clunk. I am considering upgrading the engine mountings with the aim of tweaking the performance and sorting the clunk problem.

Any observations, ideas, hints or tips gratefully received

Clio 197
I hope someone can answer exactly what the 'clunk' is that you mention. Mine does the same thing (I think) that you're describing. Only when it's cold, when you lift the clutch up sharply or change gear or ease off sharply there is a clunk from the rear of the car. Sounds like it's coming from the offside and possibly something to do with the exhaust. The noise disappears when the engine is warm though.

Clunk at the back could be as you say, but worth checking exhaust and heat shield first. Could also be the clutch release bearing from what lewisflintham has described.

Kangarooing is a fact of life on the 197 and you wont get rid of it completely, it is certainly nothing to do with the brakes!