ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Engine Break In

Clio 197 Red!
Hi guys, my first post here :)

Went to the dealer today and bought my dream car! A red one. Will have it after an agonizing weekly wait, so next friday I hope.

I asked the sales rep how to break in the engine since I found nothing mentioned in the car manual (its in Greek, is it the same with yours in the UK?). He said I'll find nothing in the manual since all I have to do is keep the revs just below the red line when the shift light comes on, for 4,500km (2800 miles), that simple. Have you guys been told the same? I know this is a controversial subject but out of curiosity how did you guys break in yours?

Last edited:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
don't bother

as long as it's up to temperature (oil temp remember, not the water temp gauge) then i would drive it properly!

172cup
you should see the s**t new cars go through on final engine testing on EVERY car... you wouldn't bother running it in after seeing that!

:eek: its really bad... cold engine... never having been run before etc etc

I sh!t myself at Poxhall Luton & Ellesmere Port and watching the assembly from start to finish

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
lol

the friendly guys at the Greek import centre at the docks will have "run it in" for you anyway! :(

172cup
trashing it regularily (but not bouncing it off the limiter repeatedly) will ensure your engine is nice and loose early... and should get the best performance growth throughout the next 3yrs.

you should hope that as everyone else will be pootling around for the first 3k... yours could be nice and loose... and be one of the quickest std ones about

Clio 197 Red!
trashing it regularily (but not bouncing it off the limiter repeatedly) will ensure your engine is nice and loose early... and should get the best performance growth throughout the next 3yrs.

you should hope that as everyone else will be pootling around for the first 3k... yours could be nice and loose... and be one of the quickest std ones about

Thanx mate

I've also read its best to drive on twisty hilly roads so the engine constatly varies through loads, helps the gearbox too.

Clio 197 Red!
Christofer how can you tell when the oil temp is ready? Can only see readings for water temp and fuel on the dash.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
^^yep. 15 to 20 mins does it.

the water temp on the dash is a false indicator really, that's why you'll get a soft limiter 500rpm lower until you're up to full temp

Clio 197 Red!
Thanx mate

I've also read its best to drive on twisty hilly roads so the engine constatly varies through loads, helps the gearbox too.

not sure on that one mate

I read this in the manual as proper break in procedure for an Aprilia 1000cc bike I owned a few years ago and it kind of made sense since you should be varying the revs constantly and not just drive on a boring highway. Who knows with this engine though...

Anyway thanx for all your suggestinons guys.

Marino

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Don't listen to the whole "keep it under certain revs".

If you want a fast car, I'd take it from the dealers to the track the same day (and don't drop below 100 on the motorways).

Think of it this way, you make the engine think it's only ever going to do 3000rpm, when it's done 1000 boring miles like that, what's changed???

On the other hand, you show it what being an engine's all about;)

172cup

If you want a fast car, I'd take it from the dealers to the track the same day (and don't drop below 100 on the motorways).

Think of it this way, you make the engine think it's only ever going to do 3000rpm, when it's done 1000 boring miles like that, what's changed???

it doesn't have feelings... its just an engine lol.... you talk to your car don't you

BMW M4; S1000 RR

it doesn't have feelings... its just an engine lol.... you talk to your car don't you

Only speed up.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
p.s. I have just watched the Matrix trilogy so that might be some part of the last post (reloaded and revolutions all the way through for the first time... AMAZING!)