ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 on aftermarket managment content...

182cup & 172 racecar
Nice work Matt,Kev you should be pleased with the efforts made here.Yes it was running rich,saw the soot marks on the floor,nasty.Matt will be casting his wizard hands over our race car in the very near future,cant wait.:D

172 5HED
great work and results as expected.

all that is needed now is a decent driver ;)

I'll let you have a go then eh!?!! I'm getting some tuition next year I reckon, Im not bad.... but could be better!

Nice work Matt,Kev you should be pleased with the efforts made here.Yes it was running rich,saw the soot marks on the floor,nasty.Matt will be casting his wizard hands over our race car in the very near future,cant wait.:D

Indeed, the guy is nothing short of a genius TBH. What you having done?

182cup & 172 racecar
Whatever Matt decides to do really.Bespoke ECU complete map for pit limiter etc etc etc.we (Jay-Burp) is in the middle of wiring the loom atm.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
looks spot on, wish I had that unit instead of a omex :(

LOL

Nice work Matt & Kevs, hope your happy with the car kev.

Ben

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thats Lovely.

Nice to see some proper money being spent.

Really Really nice job.

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
top job but gains are minimal, most probably does not worth well the money spent on (even worse than Mk1 and Mk2 172-182's). Look at the inlet location on the manifold, my sincere thanks to Renault Engineers. It is almost impossible to find an engine having air inlet direction like that.

Lionel Richie
what's wrong with that location?

gain's are pretty good, you won't find any other 197's over 200bhp, what was the torque?

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
Fred, it is almost a tight fit. You barely have space to fit your fingers in. Among the 197's you are absolutely right. I am a clio fan and drive a Mk1 172 almost fully loaded (cammed and etc.) do not take this wrong but if you spend same amount of money and effort on a CTR (a standalone ECU (k-pro) + headers) you most likely hit 240-245 HP's. Am I wrong?

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
yes mate, here we are in a clio forum but we must see the truths :)

Clio Sports, awesome cars, but unfortunately not giving great response to mod's

Golf GTD Mk7
have to admit it's not the most accessable TB really. Induction hose needs to be 135deg bend I'd say, which is not ideal. TB conversion would be best surely.

Hmm, interesting. Why does he not market these things, I mean the man is obviously a genious :)

EC1 - the ECU fitted to Kevs car is a joint development between myself (TDF), Paul at RS Tuning and SC who carry out the hardware test and production for us.

It's actualy marketed pretty heavily but I will admit that I've neglected road car so far as the ECU was primarily designed as a motorsport unit, hence Pit Lane Speed limiter, fuel count support etc. etc. Pauls contribution to the ECU has been to add sufficent support to the ECU to run a road car with the kind of features that a road car user requires. To say it's feature rich now is an understatement!

EC1 will be complimented by EC2 in the new year (which includes traction control, H-Bridge for DBW support, dual wideband support etc. etc.) and a combination of these two ECU's will be running the front half of the grid in a couple of major single make race series in 2010.

have to admit it's not the most accessable TB really. Induction hose needs to be 135deg bend I'd say, which is not ideal. TB conversion would be best surely.

The main reason for the use of a 97mm trumpet on the body is to increase the size of the inlet hose to a point where the required tight bend does not create a loss.

With R3 spec pistons and cams Kevs engine would produce around 220bhp, which in the real world negates the requirement for port throttles from a peak power point of view. As you can see from the graphs its entirely possible to create a flat and beefy torque curve on a single body as well!

top job but gains are minimal, most probably does not worth well the money spent on (even worse than Mk1 and Mk2 172-182's). Look at the inlet location on the manifold, my sincere thanks to Renault Engineers. It is almost impossible to find an engine having air inlet direction like that.

Tuning high specific output naturaly aspirated engines will never results in big increases for small budgets. Kevs car has picked up around 18bhp/10% peak with what is essentialy cams and suitable engine control. That's a pretty cracking result in my book.

Expectations of 210 - 220bhp/large percentage gains from these engines with cams and minor work is unrealistic due to the already well optimisied engine design.

Golf GTD Mk7
Are these ECU's transferable over the RS range Matt?

97mm TB, that's pretty big. shame that an inline filter can't be sorted direct to the bonnet hole, but should still see benefit form it direct on to the filter and general engine bay temp will be considerably lower, so it might be a bonus that the inline idea didn't happen.

Clio
Tuning high specific output naturaly aspirated engines will never results in big increases for small budgets. Kevs car has picked up around 18bhp/10% peak with what is essentialy cams and suitable engine control. That's a pretty cracking result in my book.

Expectations of 210 - 220bhp/large percentage gains from these engines with cams and minor work is unrealistic due to the already well optimisied engine design.

A good result, but worth it for the budget?

Cost this out and at about £5K for +18 Bhp puts it into perspective.

If this is for a track day biased car, the money invested has been wasted.

Lionel Richie

97mm TB, that's pretty big. shame that an inline filter can't be sorted direct to the bonnet hole, but should still see benefit form it direct on to the filter and general engine bay temp will be considerably lower, so it might be a bonus that the inline idea didn't happen.

64mm or 70mm butterfly ;)

The body is a 64mm S2000 spec body with a 97mm trumpet on the end, sorry should have made that clear. Inlet temps on the road are very low so no real issues with filter location etc. afterall Kev runs no arch liner and it has a hole in the bonnet directly above the filter so plenty of ambient air supply.

EC1 is designed to run 4/6 cylinder engines and as such has 6 X Injector drivers, 4 X IGBT or TTL coil drivers, Numerous Aux PWM and switched outputs etc. etc. basicaly it'll run any 172/182/197/200 including fully phased VVT on the later engines. Due to the number of ignition outputs you could also upgrade a 172/182 to coil on plug or similar if required.

Last edited:

As per your comments on the Renault Sport forum then ;) As I said on there for every 100 people who genuinely like a project they'll always be one who thinks its s**t. :rasp:

Golf GTD Mk7
64mm or 70mm butterfly ;)

ah ;)

How much?

Very interesting stuff Matt, when the 182 is getting a remap next year I might have to give you a shout and see what the options are :)

ah ;)

How much?

Very interesting stuff Matt, when the 182 is getting a remap next year I might have to give you a shout and see what the options are :)

Not that much!!! I wanted to do this project as it gave us opportunity to develop the VVT control required for the X85/C85 engine control project. As such when Kev approached us regarding this we offered to make it happen for the budget he had available. This most definately wasn't a cheap job but at the same time the bill for our work certainly wasn't £5K or anywhere near that!

Golf GTD Mk7
Not that much!!! I wanted to do this project as it gave us opportunity to develop the VVT control required for the X85/C85 engine control project. As such when Kev approached us regarding this we offered to make it happen for the budget he had available. This most definately wasn't a cheap job but at the same time the bill for our work certainly wasn't £5K or anywhere near that!

thought he might have been being sarcy about that :)