ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clio 197 or clio 182?

What would you rather have?

Votes: 607 39.8%
  • 172/182

Votes: 917 60.2%

• Total voters

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah kinda fits my reuqirements tbh. plus *hopefully* may not have the issues Renault have. ie: melting steering wheel...

i love my e46. such a smooth car and a cracking cruiser... so at somepoijnt i reckon a MCS will be bought. they allegedly do over 40mpg, quick enough and should be built half decent... plus the winning factor of heated seats :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yeah kinda fits my reuqirements tbh. plus *hopefully* may not have the issues Renault have. ie: melting steering wheel...
My cousins has been very solid. 35mpg, faster than a 1*2/197, better driving position. Just bin the runflats.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Power steering pumps sounds nice on the MINI's.

Drowns out the supercharger nicely.

not when you are buying a turbo. wouldn't buy an old supercharged one tbh. the fuel economy will be as bad as the 197.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
not when you are buying a turbo. wouldn't buy an old supercharged one tbh. the fuel economy will be as bad as the 197.

You'd be surprised. Alans getting more outof his works than the r27. Black interior, with satnav, the interiors decent. And I really like the variable lighting. Gimmick, but I'm simple.

Formally Clio 182
I'd probably have said 182 a couple of years ago but now the 197 seems like the norm and alot of people are getting them.

I look of them have grown on my as well. Still not so sure about the 200 though.

S3, Polo

Our R53 had pretty terrible fuel economy and *really* long gearing. But it was built well - however, you noticed the weight when pressing on although it seemed to deal with it's weight pretty well. IMO needed an LSD.

Regarding fuel economy - My 330 with cruise on would return better mpg than the MINI on the same 320-mile journey! Around town was a different matter though...

The MINI interior is vacuum-formed nonsense though (airbag cover, anyone?). Oh, and a hearty LOL @ the Clio-owner taking the pi$$ out of a MINI interior... :eek::clown:

456647675_2b1b7c6e23.jpg

I understand that the R56 is better in almost every respect? :)

Megane R26
I understand that the R56 is better in almost every respect? :)

Brakes, looks, boot space, INTERIOR, handling, cornering speeds, value... all better on the 197. Tuning potential and residual values after hefty initial outlay seem the only advantages to me.

Poncy image too.

Fiesta STripes
I drove a 182 when I owned my vts and vowed I would never ever buy one. It was the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven lol.

Then two years later, last june, I test drove a 197 at a renault garage for a laugh thinking it would be as bad as the 182. Then I bought a 197, even though I had no intention on buying a Renault Sport ever!

Best car I have ever owned, so comfortable, but thirsty lol

Fiesta STripes
One more thing. In my area, I can go for days without seeing another 197. The same can't be said about the 1*2's. It's a shame, because a black 182 looks the sex, and now it is within easy reach of the halfords obsessed chav :(

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
was a week ago with my 182 at a renault dealer to fit my rear shocks and a 197 was there on the elevator with the front wheels removed.. I got a chance to study it's suspension, the brembo's closely and what can I say.. It definitely moved forward from the 1*2, the suspension design, the huge brakes, everything seems to be very solid and so on...
But when choosing between the two, well that's different. all the respect for the Enzo ferrari for example for it's performance and technology but still would pick the F40 any day. It would be a hard decision just like the 182 vs 197 but in the end the feeling is all that matters

Clio 182/VW Camper
Well imho, the 197 is the better car but at double the cost it should be, it is a more refined drive and in real world scenario just as quick, on track slower (weight over power increases) You pay your money you takes your choice....

White clique
Well imho, the 197 is the better car but at double the cost it should be, it is a more refined drive and in real world scenario just as quick, on track slower (weight over power increases) You pay your money you takes your choice....

what, so you think they should have an on the road price of 8k then??

that really would be a bargain!

lol still with 197... dont really like the look of the 200 and for the same kind of money you could get an r26... surprising that they are dropping to around 8k and trophys are still hanging around the 7 mark.

Megane R26

You think a 182 is quicker on a track than a 197??

Better than yours. C*nt.
I vote 172/182, I think it'll age better than the 197 and I think it's more of a toy. The 197 tried to be more usable and in doing so made it less 'fun'. All IMO.

DB.

BMW 440i
Id probaly rather have the newer 197/200 for having a newer car, most likely better built and a newer look, but if i had the money to buy one of those, id of bought a Megane R26 second hand to be fair!

Do love my 182 though :)

I vote 172/182, I think it'll age better than the 197 and I think it's more of a toy. The 197 tried to be more usable and in doing so made it less 'fun'. All IMO.

People say this about the first GTI but i know which one I would rather have. Although the 182 im sure is more of as toy, its remarkable that renault can have a much heavier car with similar performance.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Tbh your always gonna get a biased opinion on forums like these. The people with 182s say get a 182, and 197 owners say get a 197 (Funny that eh?).

Your best best is to test drive both and make your decision that way. Most people say the 182 feels faster than the 197. It only feels faster coz its a smaller (Debateably less well put together) than the 197.

Personally out of the 2, I'd go for the newer more refined 197.

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Toughest poll yet. I've had both. Loved both and would have either again. Imo, for its sheer brilliance, better built, better place to be and with the recaro's surprisingly comfortable i would have to say 197. Although i did prefer the power delivery and economy of the 172.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Tbh your always gonna get a biased opinion on forums like these. The people with 182s say get a 182, and 197 owners say get a 197 (Funny that eh?).

Your best best is to test drive both and make your decision that way. Most people say the 182 feels faster than the 197. It only feels faster coz its a smaller (Debateably less well put together) than the 197.

Personally out of the 2, I'd go for the newer more refined 197.

What about those with neither? Haha.

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
Its a ridiculous thread!

Hardly anyone who owns a 172/182 is going to want to even think about the 197 being fun or better. Bearing in mind most of them having never driven a 197. I admit I like 172s/182s, great fun but so is the 197..... Its back to the old debate isnt it.

They are still clios and we are all brothers and sister here :approve:

The vote should be....which do you own lol

Formally Clio 182
I think I probably voted on the 182 when I this thread got started, but only because I own one.

Much prefer the 197's now though. Still think the 200 is gash.

Clio 172, Clio 200
I've voted the 172/182. The 197 just seems boring compared to all the other clio sports. For a very small amount more you could get the 200 with a slight increase in bhp, loads more talk and if you get the cup or cup pack better chassis, brakes and suspension. Must admit I love seeing all the videos of old battered 172's p'owning the 197 in drag race. Having just brought a 172 they are pretty quick, seeing as mine is only stock. Just need to sort of the page long list of problems I have with it.