ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 197 steering wheel melting.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Anyone else got this?

at about 9 o'clock on the wheel. it has melted slightly and then cooled and so feels a bit rough. not overly impressed tbh.

Fiesta RS Turbo & Pug 206
they all go like that mate , guy a garage and pop it on the side of your house then put the car in it = job done , no more melting s/wheel

Barge
Mine lives in the garage. Hasn't stopped it as the majority of the time it's outside is during the day.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Yep, mine has started at about 2 and 4 o'clock on the wheel.

Add that to the bloody great hole in the now second set of recaros and i'm not happy. In the 3rd year of warranty so the dealer will no doubt play the 'wear and tear' card.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to see you try and get one from Renault on warranty!

Barge
I might go in and stomp my feet a bit, add it to the list of things they've yet to fix. FLOL. Love Renault build quality.

is this the same problem that's affecting Clio2 wheels? unbelievable Renault haven't done something about it if it is

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah pretty lame tbh. so it seems like a few of us are affected...

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
plus i'm sure the steering wheel isn't as soft and squidgey as when i first got the car. or am i jsut used to it?

Barge
Hmmm, I remember mine being squidgy. It might just be that we're used to it. Other people who've driven it say it's nice and 'comfy', etc.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah it ain't great.

i think due to the current economic situation i am going to keep this car until i hit 100k. i needz the moneyz now...

Clio 172 RS2
You joking right?
The 197 wheel looks quality leather to me...
Can understand the issue's we have with our 172 wheels but on a 197 wheel?
WTF***
Thought about replacing it with one.

Even my ex. 1997 Mini Cooper 1.3 Mpi had a 'real' leather wheel, which never gave me issues even on hot long hauls.
(Came of the MG F but nonetheless Rover spec.)

Barge
It's very subtle. Just feels really, really rough between 9 and 10 on mine, yet when I look at it, it doesn't look noticeably melted... Just looks like it always did. Weird.

White clique
ahh god the legacy problem straight from the 172/182!

Terrible! The material on the 197 did look better than the 182's, looked like it would be more hard wearing?

Not good.

Clio 197
I'd like to see you try and get one from Renault on warranty!

It's possible, I got mine replaced at the end of June.

I asked when I took it in for a service, and I really was expecting a no, but they said yes no problem. They had to order it in and it was sorted a fortnight later!

Dont' ask, you don't get!

Barge
It's possible, I got mine replaced at the end of June.

I asked when I took it in for a service, and I really was expecting a no, but they said yes no problem. They had to order it in and it was sorted a fortnight later!

Dont' ask, you don't get!

I'm asking fo sho then.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
:(
It's a shame they are still getting something so simple, so wrong.

My steering wheel in the 172 is just starting to go bad, it's 6 years old with only 40k on the clock but is garaged - I would have thought it'd be alot worse otherwise. If I was keeping the 172 I'd get a new wheel as it would just annoy me tbh.

mine went in last monday
they said hand cream you use is the main
prob for them brakin up:S i dont use hand cream
so they will replace under warrenty:rasp:

The problem is that the materials are not properly wear tested. This also applies to the Recaro chairs. They simply do not invest in the necessary wear testing. Or, they do, but don't care. It's a shame that their products are spoiled by these problems as, otherwise, they are fantastic driving machines.