ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200: Front strut removal. Fred/Steve etc.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Does anyone know if this is as hard a job as people say?

My Renault mate that normally helps me with this stuff is away at present and I can probably call upon some friends to help if the job's not a nightmare.

They don't know yet... :eek:

I need to remove both front struts to fit H&R springs but I've heard that the hub setup on the 200 is difficult.

Can this be done on a driveway easily with enough people/tools?

The back springs are dead easy, so that's not an issue.

Thanks!

330i. E30 Touring.
Jack up. Take wheel off. Take pic.

Then we'll all be able to tell you. x

(I'd be amazed if it was much trickier a job than anything other French car I've worked on. Worst case I bet is that you have to undo the hub nut etc and take the whole assembly out, a la 106 etc.)

Lionel Richie
^nope, you have to compress the springs ON THE CAR to get the struts out, wipers have to come off too (seriously!)

tw*t of a job, do not attempt TBH mate, i wouldn't even attempt it on the floor even in my workshop!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Proper dick of a job. Have to disconnect tie rods to get the arm to swing down far enough to get the strut in and out. Painfully anger inducing. 2 post ramp is an absolute compulsary item to even attempt it

330i. E30 Touring.
What the f**k?!

This is exactly the reason I have a job! To stop design engineers making jobs like this a pig!

330i. E30 Touring.
Flop note to self. Don't offer to lower someone's 200.

Bingo!

Looks like Fred/Danny's careers are safe for a while yet, lol.

That'd get a big fat 'Are you on crack?' from me should i be asked to sign that off, lol. Imagine if they have a recall/run of warranty changes on anything like that. ££££££ gone.

Lionel Richie
on the meganes they have perforated a line in the plastic so you can "snap off" a piece to access the top mounts to save removing the wipers, i s**t you not

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The megane perforation/flap is a good idea. Always feels wrong cutting them though, lazy french should have made it a proper flap to start with

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Oh and FWIW Meganes are harder to work on the front suspension in general, it's a basically the same setup, but worse designed and badly thought out.

330i. E30 Touring.
f**king hell.

Properly mental.

If ever of you two work on something i've had an input into, you're going to be laughing! (;

If u don't go to Fred to have it done my mate Tom will do it on his ramp, I can vouch for him as the only person to touch the meg and rocco bar Hopkins. I'll make him sort it, let me know.

Mk3 Megane 250
I'm going to go against the grain here, me and my mate done the 197 on the floor/garage, and the first one was 2 hours to do, next one less time, not going to lie its a pig of a job, but as long as your not a novice with tools and have enough / correct tools, then i'd say give it a go. Altho it's getting much colder now outside to be doing.