ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 v's 182 Cup - 5th GEAR

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Maybe they were saying a well run in 200 will beat a 182 round there track!

Lols some programme!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Posted in the other thread also...

I think what they put out was clearly not a fair result.

So...going only from the point when the 182 Cup was 0.6 of a second ahead...since when, anywhere, on any track or road surface, could a 200 pull 2 seconds over a 182 over a 30 second period. If that is genuinely what it did then Plato plainly fu*ked up somewhere on that particular lap in Tony's 182, and they conveniently used that timed lap for the comparison at the end.

Think about it, that would be like it being 6 seconds quicker over the Top Gear test track...LMFAO.

this whole 200 v 182 is a shambles lol. I know what the 182 is capable of (after 4yrs of ownership). I know what 197 r27 is capable of after 8mths of ownership. I could probably write my owner script for the 200 for 5th Gear lol

Absolutely shabolic of 5th gear to do what they done!

I love Top Gear, but I doubt it would be difficult to dish some dirt on them as well if somebody really wanted to. On the plus side with TG, at least anyone with half a brain knows it's mostly - brilliantly - staged.

Did you see the RS vs. R26R split screen? Whilst I'm not doubting the result, they clearly 'artistically' played with the footage to build up tension, the R26R was actually a second quicker in reality so it would have looked obvious from an early stage had they showed them both precisely from the start.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
So does it go something like this

Renault "yes 5th gear, you can have a 200 to thrash round the track, only if you let it win?"

Cant see it myself tbh

White clique
So does it go something like this

Renault "yes 5th gear, you can have a 200 to thrash round the track, only if you let it win?"

Cant see it myself tbh

agreed.

i assume that the reason renault do not want the older model to beat the newer one is the same reason they have invested money in technology to evolve the clio to what it is today - a better all round car.

Its time to embrace the new clio benchmark IMO.

White clique
I have not said otherwise have I,just that there was a script.Make of it want you want.

I'm not specifically pointing the remark at you, as you have yourself said you'd be getting a 200 next, and clearly you wouldnt spend money on a car worse than yours already.

Thing about this test result is that its bound to upset some people! If the program had the 182 as the winner, then there would be a whole load of people calling that a fix too.

Plus there are just too many variables for those who are detail freaks such as tyres, litres of petrol, petrol brand, engine miles, when it was last serviced, condition of the engine etc and the list could go on forever. If they did the same tests every day for a week, you are bound to see different results - which would include the 200 clocking a genuine faster time at some point i am sure.

I've not driven the 200, but there is no doubt in my mind that its evolved into the best all round Clio there ever was. That doesnt take anything away from how great the 182 is, it just demonstrates that Renault ae always looking to improve the product, which is no bad thing. We'd all moan if it was the other way around.

They also staged the 197 v williams shoot. I know the times form this which is why they changed the script to 'the most fun car' rather than the fastest.

GTD, Lupo
3 Bhp makes no difference in a cars proformance compared to better brakes and better handling so thats the more power per ton thing out the window.

If it was fixed and im not saying it was or wasnt but after hearing the car only had just under 2k on the clock im starting to think it was. If its anything like mine it will still be well slugish. I stuggled to see off an old ford fiesta Zetec S the other day. Was a bad day. :( Give it a year and hopefully some 200s with some good millage on the clocks will pop up and renault wont have to play with the times.

Just out of interest wasnt there other tracks where the clios have all raced and didnt the 200 come top? something like 2 seconds quicker than the trophy?

Found a couple but cant find 182 :(

Track Hockenheim Short

V6 1:20.2
RS 2.0 16v (2004) 1:21.3
R27 1:20.2
200 Cup 1:19.1

Surely they cant all be fixed?

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=search

Paul

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Paul,don't get your knickers in a twist,as said before I don't care which car won,in fact I would hope the 200 would win because that's progress.

The whole problem is that it was already sorted before hand.

I hope you have many years of great motoring in the 200:)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
What you are all forgeting is the fact the 197/200 are ncap 5 rated.

Hence stronger & safer.

Also is a lot nicer place to be than in the 172/182 & before i get slated i've had them all.

So for me i'd rather be in the safer car with similar perfomance.

At least unlike some other makes the perfomance has not taken a step backwards:D

Well done Renault for giving us such good motors;)

Last edited:

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Evo had the 200 Cup about 2 seconds quicker around Bedford than the Trophy, didn't they? Different days so different temps/conditions etc, but you would assume that's a big enough margin to discount ambient changes.

Highly questionable lap times for the Trophy.

The biggest question to be answered in respect of the evo time is how can the DCi Megane - a diesel with less horsepower, lower rev limit, similar torque output and carrying 300+ kilos more post an identical time around bedford to that of a trophy?

It's just not possible, i've driven both on track, on the same day, same track and i was over two seconds slower in the meggy than the Trophy - that's a huge gap at Brands hatch.

Ok the circuit may suit the Trophy better, I know the Trophy better so this will account for maybe anything up to say a second at the very tops but I'd be amazed if the meggy can dify the laws of physics that equate weight V power V grip V gear change times V the amount of gear changes and have the Trophy with a better score/output yet has no gain in terms of time.....

This goes for the 182 also, but Reno themselves times the trophy at 1 seconds quicker around their own track compared to the 182 on which it's based. This can only be down to the suspension modifications.

Unfortunatly you just have to look at the facts and figures.

200 Better brakes
Same 0-60 time
200 Better handling? Not sure on that as i have never driven a 182 but everyone says its tighter.

So why would it be slower if it does most things better than the 182? I own a 200 and its still slugish at the moment as its only got 1.8k on the clocks. Any ideas of the millage on the 200 used on the show?

Paul

Weight plays a major part in lap times, 200+ kilos is a lot of the stuff to be carting around a track with only 20 bhp ish more...

What you are all forgeting is the fact the 197/200 are ncap 5 rated.

Hence stronger & safer.

Also is a lot nicer place to be than in the 172/182 & before i get slated i've had them all.

So for me i'd rather be in the safer car with similar perfomance.

At least unlike some other makes the perfomance has not taken a step backwards:D

that explains the weight and as steve says it's not all about outright performance figure. When you hit a tree you'll wish to be in an ncap 5 car not a 182....
Well done Renault for giving us such good motors;)

I can't agree more that the car i'd want to be in if i was hitting a tree on a b-road would be a ncap 5 rated one as opposed to a 182.

The performance figures are only part of the story. Some people choose cars based on colour ffs, that shows that what one person likes another doesn't. Hence the debate on cars...!

I don't mind which wins as I don't own either a 182 or a 200, but the lap filming is just weird the 182 is ahead, then it cuts filming and starts again at the next corner and the 200 is in front by about half a cars length?? I agree with others here when they said Plato must have done something wrong on one of the corners to go from the 182 ahead by half a car to the 200 ahead after just 1 corner by half a car, moved a full cars length ahead within 1 corner... In a heavier less powerful car?

ibiza cupra
i wouldnt lose any sleep over it they are both top cars in there own rights and 5th gear is crap so what we need is a real life shoot out to settle it properly lol

but the lap filming is just weird the 182 is ahead, then it cuts filming and starts again at the next corner and the 200 is in front by about half a cars length?? I agree with others here when they said Plato must have done something wrong on one of the corners to go from the 182 ahead by half a car to the 200 ahead after just 1 corner by half a car, moved a full cars length ahead within 1 corner... In a heavier less powerful car?

Just watched it again and there's something not taken into account with what you are saying. The second reference is not taken at the second corner, just a second checkpoint. I don't know the circuit but there could be a series of corners in between the checkpoints.