ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 Vs Trophy

Clio 200 Black and White
After a few weeks with the 200 I've finally found the time to write up a comparison with my previous car, a 182 Trophy...

I loved the Trophy and thoroughly enjoyed my 12 months with it, but one lazy Saturday afternoon I read about the Clio 200's top-5 finish in eCOTY and casually trundled down to the local Renault Garage to see what all the fuss was about.

Three days later I placed my order.

There has been a lot of discussion about the way the thing looks, but in the metal I think it has serious presence and brings the Clio bang up to date. The Pearl White on the B&W picks out the bulges of the bodywork beautifully and the black roof, speedline wheels and wing mirrors bring harmony to the nose.

The build quality of the interior warrants special mention; it feels more like a Golf VI GTi than a mid-size French hatchback. The doors shut with a purposeful thur-rump and there isn't a squeak or rattle to speak of, despite the purposefully stiff ride. There are plenty of toys in here too; keyless go, Bluetooth, auto lights, auto wipers, climate control... and they all work intuitively and without fuss. The integrated TomTom, which at first I didn't care for, is a particular highlight; much faster than the portable unit I used previously and genuinely helpful with its traffic alert and alternative-route functions.

The excellent height-adjustable Recaros are both comfortable and extremely supportive when the road gets technical. The steering wheel is smaller and less horizontal than the Trophy's and because it is reach and height adjustable, you can construct the perfect driving position from which to exploit the Cup Chassis.

One of my main motivations for moving to the 200 was to gain a bit more space and practicality so I’m glad to note that there is generous accommodation for 4 adults, plus a usefully proportioned boot. General refinement is a big step up from the Trophy and although the engine is still rather busy at 130kmh, minimal wind and road noise make it pleasantly comfortable on the motorway.

In terms of comfort and refinement, the 200 is a big improvement over the Trophy. No surprises there then.

What I wasn't prepared for was what happened the first time I piloted the new car up a local mountain pass. The engine pulls with genuine enthusiasm from well below 3000rpm, with such a swell of torque that you'd swear there's a turbo hiding behind that curvy front spoiler. I used to slam the Trophy into first gear out of the tighter hairpins, but the 200 pulls with similar vigour in 2nd.

The exhaust has a wonderful gruff burble at low revs and even pops occasionally on the overrun. Above 4500rpm that burble turns into an angry wail as you chase that 7800rpm limiter before snicking home the next ratio via the short, tight throw of the vastly improved gearbox. Indeed, holding each gear until the satisfying beeps and flashes of the gear change indicator soon becomes utterly addictive.

The Brembo brakes are powerful and confidence inspiring and the whole car is much more stable under braking. In the corners, the 200 stays flatter than the Trophy, which means it’ll slide where the older car would kick a wheel, and although the 200 is very stiffly sprung, it’s less fidgety than the Trophy, rounding off the post-snow potholes with greater efficacy.

Predictably, it’s the older car that provides the more detailed feedback through the steering wheel, but the 200’s steering is more accurate, thanks perhaps to that independent steering axis. The new faster steering rack proves a major advantage too, allowing you to tackle all but the tightest hairpins without taking your hands off the wheel. While the Trophy driver is busy untangling the lock from the previous turn, the 200 has already straightened out and powered up the next straight.

In short, it’s a more rounded, more sophisticated approach to tackling a good stretch of road; one that’s every bit as enjoyable as the Trophy, only faster, more composed and in my opinion more satisfying.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
:approve: LOL at Roy's comment!

Good review and I really think those that comment on a 200 without driving need to go try one, it certainly surprised me (as did buying unintended after the test drive) :eek:

Nice write-up. I had a quick play in a 200 at a RS Bedford last year, two things that impressed me were the brakes, and the low down power as you mentioned.

Didn't feel that electric on the straights though ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's personal preference at the end of the day. Not a fan of the 197, but I want a go in a 200. Still ugly, I mean really hideously ugly though.

LY 200
It's personal preference at the end of the day. Not a fan of the 197, but I want a go in a 200. Still ugly, I mean really hideously ugly though.

Why are you not a fan of the 197 but want a go in the 200? Same spec for same spec (cup chassis, Recaro's etc)!?

Genuine question!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Why are you not a fan of the 197 but want a go in the 200? Same spec for same spec (cup chassis, Recaro's etc)!?

Genuine question!
The major bits that I found dissapointing in the 197 (lack of low down grunt and the crap steering) have been tweeked for the 200.

I went to Renault with the intention of buying a 197. Never been so dissapointed with a hot hatch, got the bits that I care about wrong (IMO).

I couldn't care less about refinement, I do more miles in my car than most, and a 172 is refined enough for me.

The only hatch that near enough tempted me was the r26, I still wonder sometimes why I pulled out of that deal. And then I go for a drive:evil:.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I thought the steering was far too light in all mk3's like very electronically balanced.

Haven't driven a 200 yet.

LY 200
The major bits that I found dissapointing in the 197 (lack of low down grunt and the crap steering) have been tweeked for the 200.

I went to Renault with the intention of buying a 197. Never been so dissapointed with a hot hatch, got the bits that I care about wrong (IMO).

I couldn't care less about refinement, I do more miles in my car than most, and a 172 is refined enough for me.

The only hatch that near enough tempted me was the r26, I still wonder sometimes why I pulled out of that deal. And then I go for a drive:evil:.

Fair play!

Bar looks i just couldnt tell the difference personally (same spec car for same spec car) although i only had one outing in the 200 and i dont think you can get a good idea from that alone.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
TBF Jay, by all accounts you don't do many miles? When you do 20-30k miles a yr, and several track days, I think you get a bit more picky/fussy/anal about the bits that are important to you.

(That's not a dig, just a genuine observation).

I do think it's a shame they cocked up the looks so much, the 197 was one of the best looking hatches made imo.

Clio 200 Black and White
The steering weights up nicely in the 200 and the faster rack makes the car much easier to control in the corners.

It doesn't match the Trophy for feel and feedback, but it is more accurate and pointy.

I haven't driven a 197, but I imagine it's very similar to the 200, apart from the added low-end grunt, faster steering, better engine note and even more focused chassis settings.

LY 200
TBF Jay, by all accounts you don't do many miles? When you do 20-30k miles a yr, and several track days, I think you get a bit more picky/fussy/anal about the bits that are important to you.

Indeed!

I would've certainly gone for a 200 had i done more miles than i currently do as, as i have said before i do believe its the better car BUT by how much im unsure!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The steering weights up nicely in the 200 and the faster rack makes the car much easier to control in the corners.

It doesn't match the Trophy for feel and feedback, but it is more accurate and pointy.

I haven't driven a 197, but I imagine it's very similar to the 200, apart from the added low-end grunt, faster steering, better engine note and even more focused chassis settings.
I think that's where I don't get most modern hot hatches tbh.

LY 200
^Was that aimed at me!? lol

I own a mk3 mate and had a cup packed 182 before hand for 4 years! I wasnt digging at the newer cars but i am suprised you dig them! ;)

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
no mate, the other chap who thinks they are too big to be a hatchback, despite being more nimble and only slighlt bigger in dimensions lol

Mk3's are easily the best Clio's available, the Mk2 imo isn't really any improvement on the Mk1, not 10+ years improvement thats for sure, but I have no issue admitting the Mk3's are better.

I still have my Mk2 Ph1 and the missus has a low mile standard Williams with non fcuked suspension and overall it's a better car standard for standard imo. Less rattles, handles better than my Ph1 on FK's (setup too), just the brakes that dont cut it. Mk3 is better in every way bar straight line speed, which there was nothing in it with a 200 (although the 200 only had the driver, there were two of us - sure they will get quicker with miles as all Renaults do however)

Clio 200 Black and White
I wouldn't say the Mk3 is too big to be a hatchback, but it's certainly a fair bit bigger than a Mk2.

I don't really notice it when driving it, but whenever I park I'm reminded that it's quite a bit wider than my old Trophy!

Mk2 172
Trophy while good was a disappointment for me, would have a 200 or 197 over one anyday

I agree the 197/ 200 is better. Thats cos the MK3 has a much better chassis however the trophy is by far the best MK2 and a fantastic drive!! U ask the guys at EVO mag :)

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I agree the 197/ 200 is better. Thats cos the MK3 has a much better chassis however the trophy is by far the best MK2 and a fantastic drive!! U ask the guys at EVO mag :)

yeah the chassis is sublime Dan, the Spa trackday really sold them to me on how good and capable they really are and off track they are great to drive as well.

Trophy is the best of the Mk2's I have driven, but still didn't really wow me. I think I was expecting too much from the sachs dampers, which are nowhere near as good on the road as my coilovers and cost an enormous amount to buy.

Clio 200 Black and White
I have roof rails and ski racks on my 200 at the moment so can't really give a fair estimate on fuel consumption.

I guess it's using about 10% more fuel than the 182 though.

Looks divide opinion but in the metal I think they look awesome.

A ANIMAL
yeah the chassis is sublime Dan, the Spa trackday really sold them to me on how good and capable they really are and off track they are great to drive as well.

Trophy is the best of the Mk2's I have driven, but still didn't really wow me. I think I was expecting too much from the sachs dampers, which are nowhere near as good on the road as my coilovers and cost an enormous amount to buy.

L O L

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
There has been a lot of discussion about the way the thing looks, but in the metal I think it has serious presence and brings the Clio bang up to date. The Pearl White on the B&W picks out the bulges of the bodywork beautifully and the black roof, speedline wheels and wing mirrors bring harmony to the nose.

I stopped reading after this ! Harmony to the nose ILMFAO

Mk2 172

Im thinking exactly the same! Thats exactly where they blow coilovers into the weeds is on the road. Fabulous compromise between stiffness and ride comfort.
Better than any coilover. On track u can achieve more with a coilover but the trophy dampers are fabulous on the road!
U need to drive one on a regualr basis to appreciate just how good a Trophy is!!

Clio 200 Black and White
yeah, I reckon it looks pretty damn good and the amount of heads it turns would suggest I'm not alone.

Attachments

• P1010841LD.JPG
    P1010841LD.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 52
  A ANIMAL
Im thinking exactly the same! Thats exactly where they blow coilovers into the weeds is on the road. Fabulous compromise between stiffness and ride comfort.
Better than any coilover. On track u can achieve more with a coilover but the trophy dampers are fabulous on the road!
U need to drive one on a regualr basis to appreciate just how good a Trophy is!!

Exactly, Just ask Warren. He has had all sorts of setups on various Mk2 Clios. The Sachs dampers are epic on B-Roads. Either the 1 Mr Kung-Fu had was fucked, or you weren't trying hard enough.

Mk2 172
I did not realise anyone actually bought cars based on a top 10 list in a magazine. Wow.

I never said they did but those guys have more idea than most on here about how good a car is/feels and tbh ive never really read a bad word in a mag regarding the trophy and i can see why. Great car. Maybe bit dated now but still a great drive! If i was doing the whole clio thing again and had to have a MK2 i wouldnt buy anything else. Its worth the tiny premium ten times over imo

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Exactly, Just ask Warren. He has had all sorts of setups on various Mk2 Clios. The Sachs dampers are epic on B-Roads. Either the 1 Mr Kung-Fu had was f**ked, or you weren't trying hard enough.
TBF I've met a few people that don't like the Trophy set-up. I did, brilliant.

A ANIMAL
TBF I've met a few people that don't like the Trophy set-up. I did, brilliant.

Indeed, but to argue that coilovers are better on your average b-road is, imo, a bit of a laugh. Although saying that it is down to driving style, expectations etc. i do around 15k a year on the sachs, 90% b roads and i have not driven a set up that comes close.

Clio 200 Black and White
Indeed, but to argue that coilovers are better on your average b-road is, imo, a bit of a laugh. Although saying that it is down to driving style, expectations etc. i do around 15k a year on the sachs, 90% b roads and i have not driven a set up that comes close.

You should try a Clio 200 Cup...