ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 Vs Trophy

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Exactly, Just ask Warren. He has had all sorts of setups on various Mk2 Clios. The Sachs dampers are epic on B-Roads. Either the 1 Mr Kung-Fu had was f**ked, or you weren't trying hard enough.

Anyone who's driven my car recently and a Trophy will tell you the same, I find my twin tube's on softer settings are better than the Trophy on bumpy roads. Depends if you are comparing a cr4ppy set of FK's to Sachs dampers, but the problem with most coilovers is they are only good at one thing, which is being used on a track. On the softest settings most are still uncompromisingly hard and stiff.

If you're local you are more than welcome to come and have a drive and see for yourself, unlike most I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is ;)

V6 255
Anyone see the 5th gear test, 182 cup v 200 cup? 200 cup just won on a tight track, and that's with Plato hanging the tail out on the last corner in the 182. (there is a rumour that it wa scripted so the 200 won)

The trophy is quicker than the 182 cup - fact, so surely it will be quicker than the 200? No?

I've yet to drive a 200, but I've sat in one, and it felt solid and safer, so slower, but that doesn't mean it is

It's all about what you want from the car. I like driving round like my pants are on fire, and want to feel like they are - hence I have a Trophy

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Anyone see the 5th gear test, 182 cup v 200 cup? 200 cup just won on a tight track, and that's with Plato hanging the tail out on the last corner in the 182. (there is a rumour that it wa scripted so the 200 won)

The trophy is quicker than the 182 cup - fact, so surely it will be quicker than the 200? No?

I've yet to drive a 200, but I've sat in one, and it felt solid and safer, so slower, but that doesn't mean it is

It's all about what you want from the car. I like driving round like my pants are on fire, and want to feel like they are - hence I have a Trophy

Not that I believe the results of that "test" but the difference was fairly significant for such a short twisty circuit.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
It was over a second that is alot of time on a track between two very similar P/W Ratio's, (the 182's is actually better P/W wise iirc)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_eSIMZ5Z6vI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_eSIMZ5Z6vI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

What people tend to forget when posting these sorts of video comparisons (although it's still valid) is that 95% of people cannot extract enough from a car to see the benefit, and definitely not on a public road.

What matters to 95% of people 95% of the time, is how the car suits their tastes, driving style and practical needs from day to day. Very few of us spend our life using our main driver as a track weapon every other day. Lap time chat is becoming the new bhp chat.

Good write up from someone who actually has experience of both cars. unless you are in the same position, then anything you comment is largely hypothetical!

i still think that the 200 looks wrong...i have seen it in the metal and it just doesn't do it for.

however...sooner or later i will have to change my own car and i am renault sport through and through. that being the case, i guess that my next car will likely be a 200. i just really hope that by that time, a newer, face lift model will have been released.

Iceberg 172
I really enjoyed reading that write up!

Not knowing anything about the mk3 clio's i'm not going to comment on them!

However, the above video did shock me a bit! It's not often that a newer model beats the older model... do you remember the top gear test where they done the focus rs vs escos etc etc... older normally means lighter etc as now days everyone wants ipod / bt / 20 airbags / etc etc. So to see the new model beating the old model by a fair margin for such a short, tight twisty circuit was a nice surprise.

In response to the above statement saying no one on here could push there clio's as far as plato did... that's true, but it'll apply to both drivers, so a 200 vs 182 both driven at 90% of their full potential the result will still be the same margin.

However, i doubt anyone using their clio as a track car would be using std suspension / brakes / exhausts etc so track times mean shite.

I'd like to have a go in a 200, i'm not a great lover of the looks however the B&W does look great!

In response to the above statement saying no one on here could push there clio's as far as plato did... that's true, but it'll apply to both drivers, so a 200 vs 182 both driven at 90% of their full potential the result will still be the same margin.

Yeah that's true enough. I suppose my point was that most sensible drivers don't race everywhere. For example, I have no idea if my car is quicker around xyz circuit than a 172/182/197/200, but I do know that I enjoy it immensely on the road, which is where I use it. It will go on track, but I won't be racing any Clios, or anyone, while I'm there. So, does it matter so long as each driver enjoys the handling and character of their machine?.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
These opinion threads IMO, should just be locked and added to a thread of other opinions.

It wil always, always end up as a "I think such and such is better than previous such and such"

Trophy 265/500
I've had a test in the non cup 200 and it does seem nicer than the 197, but still not quite up to the Trophy on overall oomph.

It is an awful lot of extra ££ though..

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think the 200's problem just now is the list price and mpg. I'd still have one and prob will do in the future, when they're more economically priced. I really like them I even went to see them before getting the T but I cannot/could not justify 14/15k on a 2nd hand Clio which does 25mpg. If I was spending that much right now I think I may go for an E46 M3, Jap turbo or Clio V6 perhaps. However, I think the seating position and steering wheel in the 200 is perfect though.

Iceberg 172
Yeah that's true enough. I suppose my point was that most sensible drivers don't race everywhere. For example, I have no idea if my car is quicker around xyz circuit than a 172/182/197/200, but I do know that I enjoy it immensely on the road, which is where I use it. It will go on track, but I won't be racing any Clios, or anyone, while I'm there. So, does it matter so long as each driver enjoys the handling and character of their machine?.

I know exactly what you're saying mate and agree totally with you.

Good review from someone who has owned both - not something you get often, haven't driven either in anger - would like to be able to draw my own opinion if I had.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
That write up was good, bit EVO-ey:approve:

I still need to drive a Trophy!

You online Joe? Think we need a select local sunday morning meet soon!! (all insured of course)

MCS R56
These opinion threads IMO, should just be locked and added to a thread of other opinions.

It wil always, always end up as a "I think such and such is better than previous such and such"

What people tend to forget when posting these sorts of video comparisons (although it's still valid) is that 95% of people cannot extract enough from a car to see the benefit, and definitely not on a public road.

What matters to 95% of people 95% of the time, is how the car suits their tastes, driving style and practical needs from day to day. Very few of us spend our life using our main driver as a track weapon every other day. Lap time chat is becoming the new bhp chat.

Amen to both!

Clio 200 Black and White
I see this thread has caused a bit of a stir, to be expected I guess.

Roystinho
How can you make any meaningful judgement about how a car handles based on a passenger ride? You need to get some miles under you belt with a car; drive it in anger a few times and really get to know it before you can come to any useful conclusions about it.

I haven't taken the 200 on track yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fair bit quicker than the Trophy (better brakes, higher rev limit, greater stability, even more focused chassis).

Danny172
There are quite a few people out there considering switching from a 1*2 to a 200 so I thought I would post up my experiences to help people make an informed choice. It will always be a matter of opinion at the end of the day, but having owned 1*2s for a couple of years and now moving to a 200 I'm in a good position to provide a fair assessment of the two.

Portland
A short test route will never be enough to uncover the true talent of a car; you need to really push the car on your favourite stretch of road to get the best out of it, which people rarely do on a test drive.

Jamie
I think the list price is very competitive; you can get a fully loaded 200 with cup chassis and recaros for under 15k, which is a hell of a lot of car for the money. Of course there are second hand options out there as well, but that's not really a fair comparison.

Fair point on the fuel consumption though, renault will have to sort that out for the next model. It must be 20-30% less efficient than a comparable mini or Pug.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think you can get all that for 15k and my point was I just think it's too much to spend on a Clio.

I'm not trying to put anyone off or put it down it's just alot of money. £14k on a car these days gives you alot of choice.

Fair enough it's brand new I take that on board but I still think is's a fair comparison.

The only reason I don't have one is the purchase cost. I went to see them and tbh the Trophy was the 2nd choice. I just couldn't get away from the fact at the time the T was £7k and the 200 £14k. I even got a dealer quote. No trade in with LY paint and Recaros.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Danny172
There are quite a few people out there considering switching from a 1*2 to a 200 so I thought I would post up my experiences to help people make an informed choice. It will always be a matter of opinion at the end of the day, but having owned 1*2s for a couple of years and now moving to a 200 I'm in a good position to provide a fair assessment of the two.

Absolutley mate, and it was a great review of both cars.

What i did mean however was that people veer of topic to comments like

Id rather a 1*2/Williams/Focus RS/VXR etc

Thats all good and well but it does seem to raise its head time and time again, we all know what we would rather/prefer.

But does it really need to be brought up time and time again? Im not sure!

Just my 2p worth etc :)

320d
Good review.

Having never driven a 197/200 but have had a few runs with a 197, I find that the 197 is more capable in real road conditions i.e. damp patches in the road, different road surfaces, bumps etc. On a smooth dry track it would probably be closer but I haven't experienced that so couldn't comment. The 197 seems a lot more composed on road though.

Straight line speed is pretty much identical, I haven't tested 0-60 etc but say 2nd gear - silly speeds its neck and neck.

For the next gen Clio i'd like to see it have more torque and straight line speed, which means I basically would like it to be turbo'd. The Megane 250 will rev to around 7500rpm, which is more than a 1*2 so you get the torque of the turbo with the revs of a N/A unit. Best of both worlds for me.

Mk2 172
Id still much rather have an R26 than both cars tho if im honest lol.
Lad on meganesport has a white R26 on a 58 reg with 12k on the clock for less than 13k!!! Now thats alot of car for not alot of money!!

Cupped 200
Short things short...

the low down grunt on the 200 is a very big point in hat it makes so great because in your all day living it makes things so much easier, i dont care about tracktimes, when im on track its about fun, i never take my darn time there. i would be cryin if i would :p

The looks point: its like always.. the old model "lovers" or lets call them sometimes owners are familiar with it and dont like biger changes, thats ok, but MOST other people which are not in the "Clio scene" like the 200 very much.

Fuel Consumption: What do you expect? its more power in low revs, so youre using more power constantly, you have a fair amount of gadgets and stuf in there and dont forget the weight. So OK, theyre drinking, but think about it. I think its OK, and i knew that when i bought it. Now dont start on me with those Turbod Engines and stuff. You cant feed an Eagle with Trill we say here ;) especially not when youre on hunt all the time.

A good point here is the comparison in allday capability betweeen the 200 and Trophy. and thats even with the "what its meant to be" differences like that. for me, thats an awesome job of them.

Next part, wth is goin on!? when im reading here i could think that most english clio guys are on track with their highly trained driving skills like every week! dont get me wrong, i dont want to look down, i say by myself that im not nearly in the zone of capability to get near the limits of this car.

This sounds all like "well, just like it more you pillocks" but it shouldnt, i accept everybodys opinion, but too often it seems like the opinions are other peoples opinions which are spewed here and have nothing to do with experience or based knowledge.

And yes, i would rather have a Megane 250 or a Aston Martin over the 200, but thats just what my purse is capable of ;)

Best things at the end, all in all im very happy about Forum behaviour and the people in general here because i know some other Car Forums ;) its just fun to spin around here, read Threats, laugh my ass of about the general Chat and Stuff and so on. Greatest Forum Bunch i know you are (just next to the 200sx-forum of germany ;) ).

Keep goin and thank you Mad for this interesting Review!

Youre asking yourself what the point of this post is !? there is none so get over it :p

Clio 200 Black and White
do it.

make sure you can have a proper drive on a road you know well so you can make a fair comparison with the Trophy.

I don't agree with the suggestion that most people like it unless they own an older Clio.

I don't know anyone IRL who likes the look of the Clio 200. When the subject has come up amongst friends, colleagues, family and acquaintances, it's almost unanimously disliked.

To suggest that most people who don't like, don't like it because they don't own it, is preposterous. Using that rationale, one could argue that the people who own it, and like it, only like it because they own it. Perhaps people don't own it, simply because they don't like it eh? Is it that hard to come to terms with?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I don't agree with the suggestion that most people like it unless they own an older Clio.

I don't know anyone IRL who likes the look of the Clio 200. When the subject has come up amongst friends, colleagues, family and acquaintances, it's almost unanimously disliked.

To suggest that most people who don't like, don't like it because they don't own it, is preposterous. Using that rationale, one could argue that the people who own it, and like it, only like it because they own it. Perhaps people don't own it, simply because they don't like it eh? Is it that hard to come to terms with?

Not really tbh. If we all liked the same things it would be a very boring world.

Everyone has different tastes. Al be honest, I thought they had ruined it by sticking the "F1 style blade". However it grew on me big time, enough that we have bought/ordered one.

Not really tbh. If we all liked the same things it would be a very boring world.

That isn't the point I'm trying to get across. Of course some like it and some don't. That's just common sense and shouldn't have to be explained. I'm talking about the attitude of some people in pure denial. The suggestion that you can't dislike the looks unless you've owned one for 8 months. The suggestion that you can't afford one, or the suggestion that you're jealous.

It goes on all the time. It's childish, and the instigators cry that the haters are the ones who keep going on about it. There's no smoke without fire.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Looks are subjective, everyone fancies my girlfriend but I'm bored stupid with her :rasp:

LY 200
I'm not trying to put anyone off or put it down it's just alot of money. £14k on a car these days gives you alot of choice.

14k gets you a good 2003/04 E46 M3 or an old V6 but both with be over 5 years old and will have racked up some miles in comparison!

There is no new (or nearly new car) that gets near the 200 for value for the 15/16k imo.