ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200T EDC, What's up with them?

Speed on straights is partially about corner ecit speeds as much as power. Could have just been a guy caring about his newish car.

Also race mode bro. 150ms is quicker than you can shift manually plus you dont have to heel and toe. Big win in my books for a track car.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I don't get why people keep comparing the gear change speeds to a manual box. No s**t it's quicker, even the worst DCT in the world is quicker than manual shifting, doesn't mean it's good for a DCT.

I still think that the Trophy is worth seriously investigating.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Speed on straights is partially about corner ecit speeds as much as power. Could have just been a guy caring about his newish car.

Also race mode bro. 150ms is quicker than you can shift manually plus you dont have to heel and toe. Big win in my books for a track car.
Heal and toe is fun though.. If you were racing then I could see the appeal, perfect gear changes every time is better than potentially missing a gear (i.e. human error). But I think 0.1% of CS has ever been in a car in a competitive situation, and even then I'd hazard a guess that 99% of those are amateur racing (again, for fun)

2014 Clio 200t edc
I can't help think that (and maybe rightly so) the 200t is being compared to everything before it. If you look at the package as a whole, without the pedigree then it's a good car with good features and power for a 1.6t. The problem with every new renaultsport hot hatch and Peugeot for that matter is they get compared to cars 20 years before, 205 gti, ph1 172. They are different cars as all cars have moved on and got bigger, safer etc.
If you take this dct as it is, and think what paddle shift gear changes were like not that long ago it's really quick, slick and works really well.

Clio
Errr do you think i would have spent my hard earn't if the gearbox was an issue lol. And yes have a mate who lent me his new Golf GTI with the DSG box as that was another option.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Have you ever done a track day in both?

I have. I went from a Mini JCW auto to just a cooper S manual. Despite the JCW auto being faster, the CS manual was infinitely more fun. The difference was day and night.

Obviously it's horses for courses, one mans fun is another mans pain, but I think it's fairly obvious that Renault failed hard when they decided to make Auto only.

Clio
I agree with PP172.People are obsessed with the auto box that seems to be standard fodder on all Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes performance cars. I know we all hate the French but give the car a chance lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I agree with PP172.People are obsessed with the auto box that seems to be standard fodder on all Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes performance cars. I know we all hate the French but give the car a chance lol
The last time I checked (I could be wrong so forgive me if I am) the Renault Clio wasn't in the same market placement as a Ferrari/Merc/BMW.

The fiesta is though. And they've sold 10 times the amount.

2014 Clio 200t edc
i see fiesta st's all over the place and like the ones before all the young kids seem to be driving them. Maybe they are easier to insure than the 200t edc? Maybe it's because they have 3 doors instead of 5?
I watched a video of one on track and I think it was 1 tenth of a second quicker than a 208 gti 30th. That to me says it is a decent car considering the positive press the 208 gti gets. The way it got round the track seemed impressive to me. If I could afford one I'd definately look into one, but I can't so I'm out.

The last time I checked (I could be wrong so forgive me if I am) the Renault Clio wasn't in the same market placement as a Ferrari/Merc/BMW.

exactly. You are getting something only supercars get but in a hot hatch. Be grateful!

Only reason I don't have one is I can't justify that sort of expenditure for a vehicle.

The fiesta is though. And they've sold 10 times the amount.

Clio 200t
It was always going to be a controversial car no getting round it. From an owners perspective I love the car, but it is a step in a different direction from Renault, obviously this forum is predominately 182 owners which couldn't really be further away from the new car. As I've said before, other countries have lapped the car up, but this is what we are going to have to expect in this day and age as cars move on.

If it was a manual people would just be complaining that it's 5 doors, then if it was 3 doors they'd be complaining about the turbo and not being NA, it goes on and on. I think perhaps what Renault should have done is put it in, in stages, not all at once (so perhaps make a facelift version 5 doors or something along them lines).

To me it seems as though the trophy is getting ignored because it may be better than the Fiesta and 208 cos again all I've been hearing is whinging about the gearbox. Not the handling or anything, just constant moaning about the gearbox.

Get used to it. I wouldnt be surprised if the new Megane RS is auto and also the new Corsa VXR will be auto which just seems to be the way they are going.

Clio 200t
To me it seems as though the trophy is getting ignored because it may be better than the Fiesta and 208 cos again all I've been hearing is whinging about the gearbox. Not the handling or anything, just constant moaning about the gearbox.

Get used to it. I wouldnt be surprised if the new Megane RS is auto and also the new Corsa VXR will be auto which just seems to be the way they are going.

Lol people moaning about the clios box, if they put in the meg there be an uproar and riots outside renault lmao.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The main issue with the EDC (either 200 or 220) is the inability of those that own them to see what's written about them by the motoring press at large as anything other than petty rants for the sake of it...poor Renault, the country's press are all ganging up on their new baby (despite them being head over heels in love with the previous incarnation).

Yes, it is a good car, yes the gearbox may not be all bad, but here's the news, the package is not what UK Renaultsport or hot-hatch fans want in a car. Full stop.

To deny those criticisms as unfair and petty is immature at best.

This is good if you want a laugh. Can anyone spell 'blinkered'?

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=87633

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I haven't read a press review that has complained about the Gbox being slow in the 220 Trophy. The new gripe seems to be the 'characterless' engine, which wasn't mentioned about the Clio 200.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The main issue with the EDC (either 200 or 220) is the inability of those that own them to see what's written about them by the motoring press at large as anything other than petty rants for the sake of it...poor Renault, the country's press are all ganging up on their new baby (despite them being head over heels in love with the previous incarnation).

Yes, it is a good car, yes the gearbox may not be all bad, but here's the news, the package is not what UK Renaultsport or hot-hatch fans want in a car. Full stop.

Different horses for courses.

Admittedly I've not been in a Fiesta ST, I really like the look of them. At the end of the day it's still a turbo 1.6, and can't be too different in character to the Clio or 208GTI, both of which I have driven. I think from a hot hatch perspective- a turbo engine is both a good and bad thing. Wringing the neck of the 172 was always a laugh, but on a long journey I'd take a smaller turbo any day of the week.

I have always like Clios, and really like the new shape- I'll probably never own one though. But I think if I went back to a hatchback it would be "the next level up" so Megane or Focus etc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Different horses for courses.

Exactly, although it is odd that the only people who seem to get behind the car and proclaim its greatness are those that own them!

I would have had one, love the way they look, almost had one too but swayed to the ST at the last minute. I'm kind of glad I did as, from what I've read, the car just doesn't gel as a whole...whereas the ST most definitely does and then some.

I still kind of hanker after one though, was hoping the new 'Trophy' would be enough to get me seriously thinking about binning the ST off in favour of it...but nah, not this time around Renault.

Clio 200t

Or maybe we just actually love the car, regardless of what any motor journalist has gathered about it in 2 hours of driving?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Exactly, although it is odd that the only people who seem to get behind the car and proclaim its greatness are those that own them!

I would have had one, love the way they look, almost had one too but swayed to the ST at the last minute. I'm kind of glad I did as, from what I've read, the car just doesn't gel as a whole...whereas the ST most definitely does and then some.

I still kind of hanker after one though, was hoping the new 'Trophy' would be enough to get me seriously thinking about binning the ST off in favour of it...but nah, not this time around Renault.
The only downside I can see with the current crop of hatch is them not feeling visceral enough- I certainly found that to be the case with the Renault and the Peugeot, I really can't see the Ford being any different since it's down on power and at end of the day- still a 1.6 Turbo in a modern chassis.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Drive an ST mate, it's a brilliant little car, even if you never plan on buying one you'll maybe see what the fuss is about.

LindaA

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 200
Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks of any car. The only thing that matters is that the person with their foot on the pedal is happy and having a blast. As has been said many times it's horses for courses and what is fantastic for one person will irritate the hell out of another.
We can all only report our own opinion and experience.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The fiesta is 200bhp with overboost

I feel it is important to state;
anytime you floor it (possibly not 1st and 2nd gear which is torque limited) the car will give you 'overboost' for 20 seconds. If you somehow manage to keep the accelerator floored for more than 20 seconds the ecu will lower the boost. Once you release the accelerator the 'overboost' is reset and you will have it for 20 seconds the next time you floor it. So basically anytime you floor it you'll have overboost unless you somehow manage to keep the throttle floored for more than 20 seconds.

Basically, it's 200bhp full stop, because unless you're balls out in 5th (6th on these?), you're always going to have 200bhp.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Oh right!

What's the point in that then? Or is it just a safety feature in case you're on a motorway and want to keep it pinned in 6th?

And does it also work with that bolt on Mountune pack? (i.e. ~20hp more again)

Clio 200t
Don't think the power is the issue that the press have, in that department they are all similar.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Until they release the Mk4 with a manual option, and raise their game with low rent plastics on the interior, my money will be going elsewhere.

The time has come for me to look at the ST's replacement with a view to ordering in October. The '200EDC' isn't even on my list for consideration.

I thought the interior was lovely! Then again it's the only car made after 2010 I've ever sat in I think lol.

Clio 200t
The Fiesta is by no means amazing, but its leagues ahead of the Clio. In looks, touch, materials etc etc
Please let's stick with fact and not opinion, the interior is very good in the clio, apart from the recaros (which is not for me as I have leather in mine) id say the clio edges it (again opinion)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It has the same switch gear as the 2001 Mk2 Clio! That's a fact.
That's like the old one where there were switches common to both a Mondeo and an Aston Martin (it might have been a Jaguar). You wouldn't care if you had the car because you probably wouldn't have been in the other anyway.