ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup 172 failed MOT due to rear brakes

172 Clio Cup
Hi guys.

I am aware of the above issue when Cups have MOTs.

I only normally get problems when I use a local garage hence why I take it to main dealer. The main dealer franchise has moved in my town and has new owners.

I took my Cup in last week and they advised me to replace all discs and pads as it may fail the MOT. I told them ok go ahead. To my surprise I get a call later and am told my car has failed the MOT.

Reasons below -

Brakes failures: RBT Service Brake Efficiency : 49%

001 Service Brake Efficiency below requirements
002 Nearside Rear brake recording little or no effort
003 Offside Rear brake recording little or no effort

I am surprised they are failing the car on rear brakes as they basically do nothing. They have passed my car last year with old brakes.

They tell me it could be a brake valve that needs replacing.

Any thoughts? Surely I would know if my brakes are at 51% below what they should be. My braking distance would be x2 ...

172 Clio Cup
This is Renault main dealer, surely they are aware of this issue. I have contacted Renault head office as it is becoming annoying having to go through this every year!

There is no mot statement. It is an advisory notice that some cars back brakes do not do much. The tester should take this into consideration.

172 Clio Cup
Ok I will show them the advisory notice.

What about the RBT service brake efficiency @ 49% ? any ideas what this is? Not seen this before.

Thanks

RS 182 CUP
How many clicks does ur hand brake do to be tight, to many is an indication ur pads are low, feel ur discs for a deep lip around the edge and has it got ridges? If it hasn't got these two symptoms it should be ok, try taking it to a reputable company tho, that's ur best bet, but whatever u do don't go to quickfit!

172 Clio Cup
Thanks for replies.

Also the Renault tech guy at dealership seems to think a braking valve? will cure the problem - is he talking rubbish? They want £235 fitted. There must be a problem if the brakes are @ 49% ??

Soz for questions but I want to go in with as much info as pos. Good that guys who work on Clios post here.

Lionel Richie
99% b****cks, i've seen 1 cup with a knackered rear valve in 6/7years

49% is bloody good for a cup, they're normally about 25-30% from memory

172 Clio Cup
Update. Car passed mot today. Brakes are at 55%. RUK spoke to the dealership and I also took the above document in.

They say it passed cause all my brakes n pads were not bedded in. Hmmm.

Thanks for your help guys (especially Fred)

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for posting the April 2006 VOSA article. My Cup was initially 'failed' due to low rear brake effort. Once I faxed the report through it prompted the tester to call VOSA who explained things. I've 30% going both rear discs fwiw. Cheers. Dan