ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Hill climber project

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Havnt got an entry for Loton park as when I phoned up the entries bloke, he was a pompous arrogant jumped up arse and I refuse to deal with people like that.
I have been involved with motorsports for over 15 years as a competitor and organiser (road and stage rallying, rallycross, banger racing, landrover trials and motorbike trials) and have obviously competed on many events and never have I come across anyone as rude as him. (Since spoken to other competitors about him and they have the same opinion.
Needless to say, I have joined a different club instead!
My brother will be there in April for his first ever event, so you can guess hes proper excited!
My car is currently in my mates garage as I dont have the time to mess with it - new steering rack bushes required.

Clio sport cup
Yeah I had a problem last year with a late entry, he was supposed to be replaced this year but I guess he hasn't been! Hat was the problem with your entry? What cars your brother entering?
i have a few teething issues with mine, was gutted the practice days were cancelled could have done with the track time, ideally needs tweeking on the rollers again to get the air ratio correct other than that can't wait till next weekend

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I phoned him on the closing day to sort an entry and he was an arsenal so walked away.
My brothers car wasn't ready in time so he used his black Evo 7 and enjoyed himself. He got 4th in class. I couldn't get to watch as i had the kids to look after.
I did the sprint at 3 sisters on Sunday and really enjoyed it, just a shame i didn't have better types as it dried out and i got picked off by the Hondas and finished 4th in class. Got 2 practice runs and 7 timed runs in though, would have been 2nd if it was just the 2 timed runs. That's motorsport for you though.

Clio sport cup
Well I thought I'd put a quick update on this....
since the last update on the car I've fitted a half cage, solid race spec engine/gearbox mounts, stripped the lower dash out and anything not needed, bought some ktr top mounts to fit still have the polycarbonate windows, fibreglass bonnet and boot to fit, it is coming along well currently first in class leader board but still plenty of time to be had.

Clio sport cup
Thought I'd do an update here.
first season of hill climb now out the way and te Hagly championship won in both class and overall which I'm pretty happy about.
as for the car well currently the specification is
15" phase 1 wheels with 888's
white line arb
ktec coilovers (looking to upgrade these)
brembo disks and red stuff pads
ktec racing red solid engine/gearbox mounts
ktec orange induction kit
ported and polished matched inlets
custom half cage
sparco lightweight seat
interior stripped
perspex windows
fibreglass bonnet
custom exhaust
superchips remap

so far I've done a little Xmas shopping and I've got a jenvey itb setup with ktec ecu, ktec solid top mounts,fibreglass boot and headlights and I'm looking for some adjustable rear shocks maybe complete set.
Wheels will be off to the body shop not sure on the colour but fancying a change from the green.
View attachment 104518
So very soon I will be selling the ktec induction, the matched inlets and maybe the ecu with the map on

Clio 172 (CUP)
Well done on your first season there.

Looking to get in to hill climbing myself, I assume that cage meets blue book regs, would be great if you could dig out the supplier's details if that's the case.

Also, how did you get on with you front brake setup, especially having to rely on them from cold? Enough bite?

Cheers

Clio sport cup
Hi mate.

the frame only has to meet the design of the msa book as hill climbs are not as strict as roll cages are actually optional in road going and modified road going.

front brakes were good plenty of bite red stuff and brembos on front and ferodo on the rear, I found instant bite.
what spec you planning on?

Clio 172 (CUP)
Going to start in production class with a 172 cup and see how it goes, don't get me wrong, I'm upgrading pretty much everything but within the regs. Just starting the work to be honest and front brakes and suspension are the only two decisions left to make, oh and which Motorsport club to join (south London/Surrey area). Will hopefully get some track days in before next season - complete newbie at this ;o)

Clio 172 (CUP)
Meant to say 'Road Going Series' Production, so limited on any power gains, but I'll tighten everything up with powerflex bushes and new ball joints, tie rods etc plus a rear arb to go on. Got a ktec SS exhaust and breather to on, and there's leads, seats, harnesses, s.wheel, better gear shifter and of course a full cambelt service and all the liquids, plus some other bits and bobs - like to get my hands dirty, all part of the enjoyment.

Then see where it goes and possibly move into modified prod series the following year or two. That'll probably be a leap to ITB's and aftermarket ECU, and a proper suspension set - who knows, depends on funds as always.

Any recommendations certainly welcome ;-)

Clio sport cup
I'd recommend if you havnt already running 15s with federal rsr tyres for road going and 888's for modified.
my setup for this year which you could do is get some polished and ported matched inlets and k-tec induction kit that and a decent exhaust made wonders to my car this year and you could use them in road going, when I had mine mapped last year it was running a healthy 188 bhp and pulled like a train! And also changing the engine mounts made a impressive improvement with acceleration.

Clio.
If I were you I'd join your local motor club that organises sprints, then check the regulations for what events you want to do.
It may be no good buying parts/ modifying bits only to find it's not allowed in their regs or SRs.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I'd recommend if you havnt already running 15s with federal rsr tyres for road going and 888's for modified.
my setup for this year which you could do is get some polished and ported matched inlets and k-tec induction kit that and a decent exhaust made wonders to my car this year and you could use them in road going, when I had mine mapped last year it was running a healthy 188 bhp and pulled like a train! And also changing the engine mounts made a impressive improvement with acceleration.

Thanks for the advice. I've source some 15" TD1.2's for that very reason, thought have yet to dig out the msr tyre regs. I have the induction and exhaust as you suggest, but didn't know I could p&p the inlet manifold within 'road going' class - good to know. As for the mounts, comes down to funds, but I heard pure motorsport might be producing some, otherwise I'll source some second hand ones or something. It's a pain that I can only rip out the carpets though.

Clio 172 (CUP)
If I were you I'd join your local motor club that organises sprints, then check the regulations for what events you want to do.
It may be no good buying parts/ modifying bits only to find it's not allowed in their regs or SRs.

That's certainly a fair point, I'll look to get a motor club membership sorted - just finding one now :-s

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I thought that road going classes were only allowed to use tyres from msa list 1a and the rsr's and 888's are 1b tyres?
Or is it different for hillclimbs than sprints as all the road going sprint classes use 1a tyres yet at loton the lotus in the road going classes were using 1b tyres.

Clio sport cup
I don't think at loton they look at tyres, I noticed a few road going using 888s I think they only look to see if there round lol

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I thought that road going classes were only allowed to use tyres from msa list 1a and the rsr's and 888's are 1b tyres?
Or is it different for hillclimbs than sprints as all the road going sprint classes use 1a tyres yet at loton the lotus in the road going classes were using 1b tyres.
It varies from club to club us northern types use 1a but further north or south use 1 b, we should all use the same but it was ruled out as you would need another set of wheels for the wet. I think everyone should use the same either 1a or b.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
It's my own fault for assuming the regs were the same when I entered loton as I used 1a tyres when I could have used the 1b set of tyres I had at home
I know for next year.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Well I won't be purchasing any tyres until I've checked my situation, I nearly went and purchased some 888's, glad I didn't.

I am surprised that the tyre regs aren't consistent across the country, and across sprint and hillclimb, would be common sense to align them.

Clio sport cup
Small update
just bought a set of kw v2's to add to the list of jobs to do! And well the not so warm weather to do it.
so over this winter I will be fitting.....
ktec top mounts
jenvey throttle bodies and gen 90 ecu
kw v2's
fibreglass boot and replacement fibre glass light blanks.

nice bit of work today and hopefully will turn out ok after spending a few hours last week tidying up the wiring in the car!
of anyone is interested I will be selling my ecu, ported and matched inlets and ktec as a package together and also a set of ktec/vmax coilovers as well has a decent se top head lights.

Clio sport cup
Yet another small update
managed to get my dad to move his car out the garage to let me in for a few hours to swap my shocks over. Got to say swapping coilovers for coilovers is the most straight forward job I've ever done and I still have 4 fingers and 2 thumbs!
old shocks came off easy and look in pretty good shape though they havnt done many miles, new kw's bought from dinger were in grand condition.
the car does sit higher at the rear but as I've not had time to fiddle I'm sure there's some adjustment there but I think I'll get it set up by professionals so I know it's done right! As I had the shocks off finally got around to fitting the ktec solid mounts which was a nice simple job and looks a lot nicer the oem parts.
in all it's coming together nicely still need to sort out some 15/20mm spacers for the rears with either 2/3 degrees camber and I guess the main event getting the jenveys on and running.......cannot wait

182 Trophy
Just got a clio 182 to start hillclimb next season joined Bugatti owners club so will enter the B Licence production class at prescott may see some of your there?

Clio sport cup
This year or me will be just loton, if your local to Prescott you should enter a loton event as it's a very challenging layout

Clio sport cup
So their has been a few changes to my plans, gone now have the inlets and the ktec induction and in its place is the JMS RS2 which I have to say is a fine looking piece of kit!
Managed to get hold of a pair of oz f1s to pair with my 2118s with both sets of wheels going in for a colour change, set 1 are going gold and set 2 will either be gold or white still undecided so with this I will also be changing the headlight blanks which will be going gold and some vinyl wrap and design graphics going on.
View attachment 107390View attachment 107391

Has anyone got any pictures on how they installed a fibreglass boot?