ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Hill climber project

Clio sport cup
So earlier this year i decided to sell my mini turbo hill climb project for something ready to go, so after owning a clio phs1 172 decided to go for a 172 Cup.
After viewing a few clios i found a nice 2002 cup with a few decent mods and in tidy condition
View attachment 88322

So what i got with this was
brand new ktec coilovers
Sports exhaust unknown brand but looks like a decent bit of kit
15" speedline alloys with federal rsr tyres
Carbon induction kit
Red stuff pads and brembo discs
suede steering wheel

So a month later had my first hill climb and must say she went well and handled like a dream but like any track car there is space for modifications...
Rolling road tuned with just ktec unduction kit and cat back exhaust at 184.8 bhp which i was pretty happy with!
Ktec racing induction kit (highly recommend)
Polished and ported inlet manifolds
Whiteline arb
Ktec de-cat
Front and rear strut braces
Sparco sprint Bucket seat
Oreca door cards
Fibre glass boot and bonnet
Spare set of oz f1s to run federal fz201's

View attachment 88321View attachment 88323View attachment 88324
ignoring how dirty the car looks and the fact the bonnet has not been painted we were just fitting it and getting the holes drilled for the aero bonnet catch before it goes off to be sprayed.
over winter the bonnet and boot with be sprayed, poly carb windows fitted, front and rear braided hoses, service, fit de-cat and then have it setup on the rolling road again to see what the matched inlets and de-cat add to my 184.8bhp

Always glad of any comments

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
What class do you use that in then?
Are that many bits and pieces allowed to be done in the road car class?

Clio sport cup
this year i was in road going, will be inn the same next year, going through the blue book you can get away with doing alot, a must though is you must have full front and rear seats and have door cards, induction, exhaust, and tyres have to be road legal tread patterns

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Dunno if I will bother then if the rules are that slack.
I was after limited mods and changes to keep costs down but no point if you can get away with that much.

Clio sport cup
To be honest the car standard was one of the quickest in class, I'm only doing so much as after next season I will be moving to non road going so the car will be stripped and on slicks

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I thought you said you will be in the same class with these extra mods.

Clio sport cup
Next year but that's only so I can get the car ready for the year after, the cars I was against last year were standard apart from induction, tyres and some had been lowered, was mostly ford sts, lotus Elise and 205gti

172 Hillclimb/Sprint
Hi Andy looks a tidy project for the winter, which series are you looking to do? I was sprinting last season in a 172 Phase 1, though will be hillclimbing this year with any luck in the midlands hillclimb series.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I was going for koni adjustables, eibach springs, got 8 16" wheels for choice of tyres, bucket seats, harnesses, sparco s/wheel, k+n panel filter, standard exhaust as cant use dcat, pure motorsports topmounts and strut brace if its allowed.

172 Hillclimb/Sprint
What class are you going in Paul? If your going in road going, you can't do too much, if your looking to do 3B, Mod Prod, the sky's pretty much the limit.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Road going class is the plan. Bloke in work is a scrutineer so need to double check but think I can do that much (except top mounts, unsure on them)

You'll not be able to fit the spherical bearing top mounts only OE top mounts, but the rest is ok if your running in Class 1B 1400-2000, you may have a problem with the pollycarb windows unless they are just the rear quarters as your standard windows must be fully functional, electric or handwinders.

Regards Russ.......

I was going for koni adjustables, eibach springs, got 8 16" wheels for choice of tyres, bucket seats, harnesses, sparco s/wheel, k+n panel filter, standard exhaust as cant use dcat, pure motorsports topmounts and strut brace if its allowed.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
No polycarbonate Windows for me.
Guess its standard new top mounts and normal strut brace then. Shame as I like the look of the pure motorsport ones. Saves me more money though.

Yes sorry about that, the polly windows was in ref to the OP Andycollins, I wouldn't bother with the strut brace tbh as the OMP ones are tied in with self tappers and do nothing in my opinion, the front turret uprights are solid enough and theres no flex on a rd car.

Regards Russ...........

No polycarbonate Windows for me.
Guess its standard new top mounts and normal strut brace then. Shame as I like the look of the pure motorsport ones. Saves me more money though.

Cars looking well, are all your mods done ready for the 2013 season? I've seen a couple of the Cups with the green wheels recently looks nice.

Regards Russ.......

Clio sport cup
I'm no where near ready, still have the fibreglass bonnet and boot to paint, polycarbonate windows to fit, white line arb, decat to fit and get the horn working for the mot! Not much before the end of march

Last edited:
  Clio 172 (CUP)
Interesting read, would be good to see how your project progresses.

I bought a cheap tatty 172 cup backend of last year with an aim to prep and hillclimb it this year, a long way to go yet and a lot of researching done so far. Maybe I'll start a project thread myself, anyway...

Did you guys contemplate roll-cages for std production class? Do you know of any option for a rear half cage/full cage but with leaving the rear seats in to comply to the regs (although I can't find where it states specially in the bluebook the rear seats must stay in)?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Safety devices rear cage goes in with the rear seats although I would have thought if you cut the seat or leave it folded down like the 205's would be fine.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
No cage for me as im too tight to buy one.
Still havnt done anything to mine as any time ive had has been used up putting my 205 back together. Once thats done I will get the Clio ready.

Clio sport cup
Well Friday had the ktec decat fitted and whiteline arb and what can I say, it's gone from a really goog handling car to an even better handling car feels a lot stabler and he decat really let's it breath better and boy does it go well now! With the ported inlets,throttle body, decat and ktec induction pulls strong and fast :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Why have you removed the cat as I think they need to be on in post yr 2000 cars, mines a ph1 and misses out by 3 months lol

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
New front konis and eibach sportlines for me this week as my front shocks are knackered.
Sort my license and enter the loton park practice on Easter weekend.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Its a car thats been used on road rallies, but hasnt got much done to it really.
I wont run the sumpguard as too much weight.
Konis all round, sportline springs, yellowstuff pads, carbon sparco rev bucket seats, harnesses, 167k miles motor just run in, might wash it, 16" Turini wheels with Toyo TR1 tyres, (maybe some worn continentals on the front if its really dry). Dent in the rear quarter to screw up the aerodynamics.

Just out for a play in the road car class, havnt even been to Loton since i was a kid. Would like to try a couple of sprints too all just for fun.

Just renewed my MSA licence and joining Hagley and District Car Club to do the practice weekend at Easter and enter the round in April.

Clio sport cup
It's well worth doing there driving school, this is my 2nd year but first full year at it, if you need any help with anything let me know.
are you running full interior?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
A lad I used to rally with already competes, hes currently got a Davrian with an Imp engine in it.
Yeah I will be running a full interior, cant be arsed pulling the carpets out.
Where are you based?

Clio sport cup
That's cool, I'm based in Shrewsbury mate, if you get the bug and want some budget track tyres federal rsr work well there

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Im near oswestry. I was waiting to see what others were using and looking to get another 2 tyres as ive got 8 16" wheels. Also got some standard clio 15" wheels too as another option. Trying to keep costs down though.
Im only doing it for fun and to tick another box on the motorsport list.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
They look OK in green besides I think there is trouble brewing over the use of orange , see ff's thread lol