ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio cup racer #34

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
This is a very interesting thread Mark and all in one page only.

Do you have any plans to sell the V6?

Cup In bits
Refreshing to see these boxes aren't as bad as made out to be really.

As far as your induction issue Mark, any scrut will just want to see forward facing lights. Either go with spotlights in the lower grill like a lot of the cup racers used when they went endurance racing or fit one of those induction cones and cut the headlight and fit it through.

Something like this http://www.cliosport.net/threads/headlight-induction.709907/

Clio V6, cup racer
This is a very interesting thread Mark and all in one page only.

Do you have any plans to sell the V6?

Yeah, that's cos I don't write about it that often... or even do much on the car that's worth writing about. See we have now bumped over to a second page!
V6 is a keeper, Snappy has the steering wheel right now while its sorned.

Last edited:
  Clio V6, cup racer
Refreshing to see these boxes aren't as bad as made out to be really.

As far as your induction issue Mark, any scrut will just want to see forward facing lights. Either go with spotlights in the lower grill like a lot of the cup racers used when they went endurance racing or fit one of those induction cones and cut the headlight and fit it through.

Something like this http://www.cliosport.net/threads/headlight-induction.709907/

That light does look interesting and was thinking along similar lines. The race series I was going for states:
"MSA compliant headlights are required."
when consulting the Blue book, I take that to mean from J5.14.4 "have glasses of minimum 182.5 sq cm each" Which to me sounds like an awful lot of glass, certainly more than a couple of spotlights in the grill.
Annoyingly, I keep reading threads from those of you in the Triclolor series who are all removing their lights.

Cup In bits
The blue book can very hard to define from whats written tbh and I would speak to a couple of scruts of potential race series as it's their personal understanding of the ruling to a certain extent.

I consulted the scruts for the SMRC at Knockhill and they were pretty funny about it so I just plan to chance my luck but also they distinctly said no composite doors yet the tricolore and the CSCC tin tops allow it no problem. I can't see the consitency there given all 3 are tin top championships with an unlimited modification rule except for that of the car silohuette... Again cementing my point it's down to personal understanding of the blue book.

When I say spotlights, these lights have been pretty heavy duty jobs for racing into the night hours or 24 hrs racing. I have tried to find pictures but had no luck. A guy Dave from here, who had them when his cup racer was bought, it had done a bit of everything I believe.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Seems to go pretty well on them Mark. Know a few people including @EVOgone have had them refurbished so would at least give you the option to stick with what you know. If it ain't broke...

They did a few different rear inserts too - silver, black and lastly yellow that came with a matched softer rear spring that could be worth trying.

Hadn't realised the SWR was formerly Harlow motorsport. Recognise the name from reading articles about the mk1 series but never made the connection.

Looks like someone has a put a lot of effort into getting Steves mk1 back to its former condition, really nice to see and a credit to whoever did it.

Good luck to both you and James for this weekend at Silverstone.

Go direct to Bilstein and they can refurb them and test with damper read out. Not that expensive. Dave Masters is the man.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
That light does look interesting and was thinking along similar lines. The race series I was going for states:
"MSA compliant headlights are required."
when consulting the Blue book, I take that to mean from J5.14.4 "have glasses of minimum 182.5 sq cm each" Which to me sounds like an awful lot of glass, certainly more than a couple of spotlights in the grill.
Annoyingly, I keep reading threads from those of you in the Triclolor series who are all removing their lights.

For reference, 182.5sq cm is equal to a circle of 15.25cm diameter, that's pretty much exactly 6 inches so 2 6" spot lights would suffice.

Clio V6, cup racer
Back out of winter storage now, Have fitted the headlights, suspension re build and general tidy up. Ready for CSCC testing at Snetterton on Thursday.
IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1461.JPG

Clio V6, cup racer
Great stuff Mark! What's your plans for the season?

Millennium Series? I think I might be doing a few of them too so will be good to see you there :smile:
Yes, first race at least and see how it goes from there. still looking to upgrade car to x85 at some point, but concentrating on this one for now. Father and son team!

Yes, first race at least and see how it goes from there. still looking to upgrade car to x85 at some point, but concentrating on this one for now. Father and son team!
Great stuff Mark :)

We've got 3 X85's at the moment! 1 of them is a very straight rolling shell with dampers, uprights, subframe, beam etc which we are selling although I guess you just want an off the shelf X85 ready to race?

Clio V6, cup racer
Great stuff Mark :smile:

We've got 3 X85's at the moment! 1 of them is a very straight rolling shell with dampers, uprights, subframe, beam etc which we are selling although I guess you just want an off the shelf X85 ready to race?
3? you don't do things by half's do you! Yes, certainly don't want to be searching for a ST75 in good knick. Hopefully will get some money together later in the year and go for a good one, assuming I don't scratch that ich for a Tattus FR2000 that's been nagging at me in the meantime.

Clio V6, cup racer
ooops, let the thread slip somewhat....
Entered the first new Millennium series race at Snetterton in April, seems all of the similar cars didn't show so we were well off the pace, Wet practice though saw us qualify mid pack and splitting the 2 Clio X85 cup racers. Trouble was I had a new set of Dunlops Direzzas to scrub in and planned that in qualifying but in the event had to take the start on shiny new rubber on a now almost completely dry track. Plan was to be safe and let anyone bye to save a first corner embarrassment but needn't have worried, had such a bad start (no one kept to the pace speed as told to in the briefing...) that the entire field shot past me anyway and then disappeared into the distance while I was sliding around all over the place. With no one to race with it all became a bit tedious so I decided to come in as soon as the pit window opened, (this is a mandatory pit stop race series with either one or two drivers) to give my son, Ricky, as much track time as possible given it was his first ever race.
Now the only pit stop race I have ever done was the Birkett and in that race, the next driver in line will be helmeted up, strapped in his car and ready to go just in case the previous car has an off or comes in early for some reason. So in I come, at least a lap early only to see Ricky not even helmeted up and even struggling to zip his overalls up. The ensuing rather relaxed pit stop set us back even further than my pathetic driving stint did.
captured on camera too:

After that he set some good lap times although, nowhere near the tin tops Clio times from the earlier race in the day, but caught and passed an ailing Ford Mondeo.

We gave the next Silverstone round a miss and instead took part in our local sprint at Debden airfield in Essex, using a new track for the first time and it suited the Clio well.
2nd in class only beaten by a Lotus by a nats.

Next race will be at Brands Hatch on 31st May.

Clio V6, cup racer
It's all a learning curve.

It sure is Tony and boy did we have an education at Brands Hatch last weekend.
Firstly I have to say I left the driving duties to Riku this weekend, he knows the track and was up for it so I thought why not give him the whole race.
Wet practice saw us qualify 9th out of 32 cars! then an afternoon of "well its stopped raining now" and just as we decided on dry set up the rain returned. So had to make the decision and plumed for a wet set up on the R1r's but almost all the other cars in the assembly area had gone for 888's/Direzzas so thought once again I had main an error on tyre choice by playing safe.
Race start then and somehow we get up to 5th place as everyone else is sliding around. A BMW took out the Mini at Druids and brought out the safety car.... I wanted our car to stay out given the delay in releasing from the pit lane but Riku thought otherwise and pitted un announced (seems like a family trait as I did the same thing on our last race). Although the pit stop went well, a TVR in front of us broke down at pit exit and hence blocked the exit for all behind...... we lost an extra lap on top of the expected lap lost for the pit stop and fell to 23rd place at the green flag. A spirited drive from then on got us up to 14th by the end but we reckon a 3rd or 4th place could of been on the cards had the delay in the pits not happened, a fact born out that we overtook the winning car on the first lap. I guess that's racing.

video from our car:

and from the Mazda RX 8 that we had a race long battle with:

Good to see Bigash turn up on the day too! bring your car next time!

Clio V6, cup racer
Well, this UK car now resides in Belgium as a UK buyer could not be found..... sad, but it had to go.

As a parting shot, EVO have finally released the video from Rockingham... don't feel sad at all..... sob, sob....

172 Cup
Watched the vid earlier today, me and my son were rooting for your car as it was the closest (in looks only!) to my 172 Cup!