ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Dci

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Im thinking about getting a clio Dci for a run around while i save for a bigger car as they seem to hold their value quite well, im wondering which would be the better one to get, i dont plan on doing any mods to it as it will just be a run around and the money will be going towards a new car.

So what would be best 65,80,100

Mark

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
80 best all round. 65 is slow as f**k and the 100 isn't much fatser due to the turbo. 100 is more expensive and harder to find. 100 has a supposed s**t gearbox too.

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
dont know if this will help, taken from another clio forum:

65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v
Engine code - K9K 704.

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's
JB5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v
Engine code - K9K 702.

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic).
Same injectors as 80
Fuel pump goes up to 1600 bar (65 & 80 1400 bar)
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Weak gearbox from a laguna.
Engine code - K9K 712.

pro's over a 1.2 16v:
much better fuel economy (60mpg is easy ive had 75mpg)
cheaper road tax £35 a year over (iirc £115 last time i had a 1.2 16v)
much better handling, my dci 65 imo handled closer to my 172 than it did to my old 1.2 16v due to thicker ARB's and a more sporty suspension setup.
more torque, most people assume a dci 65 is going to be slower than a 75bhp 1.2 16v due to the 10bhp difference but in reality the extra torque makes the dci65 much quicker around town as you have all your power from 2,000rpm (turbo spools just bellow 1500rpm) giving a thump of torque making it feel quicker than it actually is.
more refined to drive over a 1.2 16v

cons over a 1.2 16v:
only one i can think is think a dci65 is a group 4 insurance group over group 3 for the 1.2 16v but again dont quote me on that
other than that i cant think of any

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
thanks daz, from that the 80 seems the better out of the 3.

now i feel like a noob mechanic but a random question does the 65,80 have a turbo... iv only ever worked on 1 Dci so i have no idea :eek:

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
all 3 dci models have turbo's, you can still feel the turbo on the 65 just obviously not as much as the 80 and 100

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I thought the 80 and the 100 both had the 172 gearbox?

Also for the love of god make sure it's been properly serviced otherwise you'll have nothing but utter misery with it. And if you're using it for a 2 mile journey a day I wouldn't bother, not economical and very bad for the car.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I thought the 80 and the 100 both had the 172 gearbox?

Also for the love of god make sure it's been properly serviced otherwise you'll have nothing but utter misery with it. And if you're using it for a 2 mile journey a day I wouldn't bother, not economical and very bad for the car.

i do quite alot of miles a day taking customers home and picking them up to come for the cars etc so it should be fine, and i know what il be looking for and if there are any minor problems i can solve them easily enough myself :)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
dont know if this will help, taken from another clio forum:

65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v
Engine code - K9K 704.

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's
JB5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v
Engine code - K9K 702.

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic).
Same injectors as 80
Fuel pump goes up to 1600 bar (65 & 80 1400 bar)
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Weak gearbox from a laguna.
Engine code - K9K 712.

pro's over a 1.2 16v:
much better fuel economy (60mpg is easy ive had 75mpg)
cheaper road tax £35 a year over (iirc £115 last time i had a 1.2 16v)
much better handling, my dci 65 imo handled closer to my 172 than it did to my old 1.2 16v due to thicker ARB's and a more sporty suspension setup.
more torque, most people assume a dci 65 is going to be slower than a 75bhp 1.2 16v due to the 10bhp difference but in reality the extra torque makes the dci65 much quicker around town as you have all your power from 2,000rpm (turbo spools just bellow 1500rpm) giving a thump of torque making it feel quicker than it actually is.
more refined to drive over a 1.2 16v

cons over a 1.2 16v:
only one i can think is think a dci65 is a group 4 insurance group over group 3 for the 1.2 16v but again dont quote me on that
other than that i cant think of any

I appreciate you've taken that knowledge from another clio site but there are several discrepancies with the above info

The 65 bhp also uses a K9K 700 as well as the 704
OVAL PLATE CB07

The 80 bhp ( depending on year ) also uses a JB3. There isnt a JB5 - The author was probably thinking of the JC5 unit ( JC5 125 in the DCi ) They also fit the JH3 and JR5 units in 2004 onwards clio's.

The block, cylinder head and delphi high pressure fuel pump on the 700 / 702 / 704 are exactly the same. Its the combination of the turbo ( 5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series ) the delphi injectors and the intercooler that gives the 702 its 15 bhp extra as supposed to the 704 which uses a 5435 970 0000 blower. You can easily mod the 700 / 704 to get the extra power.
OVAL PLATE CB08

The 100 bhp version uses a different block and head and different injection set up. Again the 712 uses the delphi high pressure injectors and fuel pump but has a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons. The turbo is the Borg warner 5439 970 0030 unit. The inlets on the 712 head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold. It doesnt use a Laguna gearbox. The gearbox fitted to the 712 is the JR5 120.
OVAL PLATE CB2G

Watch out for injector faults - in all models fuel contamination can block the high pressure injectors. Most common fault is the high pressure pump breaking up from the inside and blocking the injectors. Will need the entire system flushing and new / recon injectors fitting + pump.

Turbo's are renowned for blowing - this in return sucks the oil from the sump, throws it into the inlet, gives the engine 5 lts of uncontrolable fuel, over revs and throws a rod through the side of the block.

Stay clear of high mileage cars - always buy a car with full history. Before you knock the engine off let it idle for 30 seconds and this allows the oil to circulate through the turbo bearings and cool them down by extracting the heat from them - this will prolong the life of the turbo by a good few years. Dont buy a "chipped" or a "modded" car - buy standard and then get the remap done proffesionally or just buy one of these....

http://www.dieseltuner.co.uk/renault.html

Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
have you owned or driven one or has a gelous dci 65/80 owner let you beleive this because they dont own a 100 ;)

Lol sorry martin o know you love the 100. Lots of people have said about problems with them and a mate has one and the gearbox went in that on 66 thou

Italian 3.2 V6
Tunst, i have a very good friend selling his dci, mint example as he is a granny driver and i must say, his car is spotless, iv never seen it dirty. rly is a clean and mint example. local 2 u aswell!

pm me if your interested.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Tunst, i have a very good friend selling his dci, mint example as he is a granny driver and i must say, his car is spotless, iv never seen it dirty. rly is a clean and mint example. local 2 u aswell!

pm me if your interested.

cheers mate il let you know once i get some cash together

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Lol sorry martin o know you love the 100. Lots of people have said about problems with them and a mate has one and the gearbox went in that on 66 thou

and how many thousand JB1, JB3 and JC5 boxes have been changed on cars under 30k miles?! ive change loads of J Series renault boxes and never any others!

clio 1.5dci
i'm using my gf's dci 65 and its fantastic and is the main reason why i'm now looking for a 172 cup now.

managed 79mpg the other weekend on a good run and in relative comfort :D

Clio MK III Dci 106
I have owned 2 DCI 65bhp. They are nippy enough little cars and hold the road well. Can get over 60mpg out of these little cars and more if you drive on the motorway. Never had anything major wrong with them either.