ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT and mods.

Not a 320d
Ok ive mentioned this somewhere before but im nearing 21 and its looking pretty definate that ill be getting a brand new Clio GT as long as i save up what i need to, which isnt going to be hard.

Im not sure if you guys will turn round to me and say get a 2nd hand 197 or something along those lines, but i cant justify the insurance as itll be £1800 (this is why you dont front on your insurance kids and 6 points doesnt go down well either). And after seeing a GT and the Twingo Renaultsports going round cadwell park yesterday im pretty made up about getting one.

With it being a new car i was wondering if anyone knew of any mods available, ive done a search and ive found Ktec racing and Yozzasport. Im thinking along the lines of New springs or suspension - would getting a set for a clio MK3 do the trick ??? (preferably coilovers and good ones at that) and a remap. Id go to RS tuning for the map as ive heard they are the best. Id go for a new exhaust but im not sure if there are any available.

Cheers.

Clio 197 F1
With it being so new I doubt there will be many mods out for it, you will be able to get the mk3 springs as they will be the same and an induction kit for the 1.6 should fit too.

Clio 197 F1
I lowered mine 45mm and after 15k the stearing rack went, not sure if this was down to lowering or just a duff rack but I had to return it back to standard to get it fixed under warranty.

the twingo and gt are the same engine different to the norm,al 1.6 mk 3 its vvt tried getting a air filter for mine none available as yet and no remap as yet as its too new personally the mpg is not really good as standard so doing remaps and airfilters is going to make it even worse

320d
I'd get a 197 2nd hand. What you save on depreciation will cover the insurance and it will be a much better car.

Not a 320d
I'd get a 197 2nd hand. What you save on depreciation will cover the insurance and it will be a much better car.

I did mention that £1800 was too much. :eek:

the twingo and gt are the same engine different to the norm,al 1.6 mk 3 its vvt tried getting a air filter for mine none available as yet and no remap as yet as its too new personally the mpg is not really good as standard so doing remaps and airfilters is going to make it even worse

Surely Rs tuning will be able to sit and map it. The intakes for the twingo and the GT are both different too.

clio 197
by the time you have declared all your mods you plan on doing the insurance will increase quite a bit wont it ?.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Hey there. Just learning to drive atm. But i love it already. The only Mod's I'm doing is silvertec bulbs in the front (de-tango, de-egg w.e you wanna call it). And I'm going to up the sound system a bit. Apart from that, the insurance would be too high for anything else for me.

However, if you talk to BioHazard (a member with a gorgeous mk3 clio) he use some coilies that will most probably fit the GT, Wietec GT's. Look on the K-Tech site :)

Not a 320d
I did send you a PM i think. :)

What do you think to the GT then ?

I may drive it for a few months then look at what a set would cost me to insure.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I've only been driving it on private land, luckily my dad works up at an old air base so lots of fun ;). My mum is driving at around while i wait lol. But yeh its VVT engine needs a good thrashing to get the power but you can just fling it around bends and stuff which is a laugh! Up untill 4/5k rpm it sounds kind of like a mini cooper. After that its pure VTEC stile thrashy noises.

The seats are comfy as fook too! And the anthracite details are nice :)

Tav

Clio 197
Is the Twingo not an option? I'd much rather have ~130bhp in a car that size than a Clio.

Someone made a good point, as soon as you drive a new car away from the showroom it's going to loose about the same as your insurance would be on a 197. I wouldn't want to pay £1800 either but is that the best you could get? Shopped around without using comparison websites?

Maybe you don't need/want 197bhp though, in which case a GT would be fine :)

Not a 320d
Id love a sport, but im more than happy to drive around in a 1.6, as for the depreciation, id say 2/3 of the £11.5 k is my own and the rest will be coming from the rents so im not fussed, they want me to get a brand new car and are very reluctant to give me money to spend on a 2nd hand sport. Im aware of the depreciation, and that it would be better to get a sport, but im at uni with a part time job and id rarther spend my cash on things like beer.

The twingo was the other option, but there are WAY too many features on the car that would royally piss me off and i couldnt live with. I do like the GT though.

@ wireless monkey, whats the suspension like, is there much body roll ??

E36 M3. 182
What dont you get in a twingo that you do in the clio?? Surely if performance is your main criteria, they wouldnt matter as much as having nearly a quarter of a ton less for the engine to drag around.....

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure it'll cost more than 1800 to purchase a new GT over a used 197 anyway? Would cover the insurance, unless your paying by finance that is.

The GT just really doesn't do anything for me.

M2 Competition
^ Because what he is doing is very silly.

Why is it very silly? As a young person the warranty and peace of mind of a new car would be handy too. Not to mention fuel, tax and other costs being lower. And then his insurance will be lower for subsequant years too...

I would get the Gt/ Rs twingo (Rs twingo would be my choice) and keep it standard mate. Forget modding it when its new, warranty isnt worth invalidating and you'll be more than happy with it as standard :D

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The suspension seems good actually. And as for the other comments...

He obviously is being given a large chunk of his budget to buy a NEW car. Besides, you may be used to a 1*2 or 197. But this car is a lot faster than a 1.2. So yes it feels slow if your used to a RS, but for someone like me (new driver) and him (upgrade) the power is fine. And since the handlings good you can just chuck it in corners for thrills.

So thats were he's coming from basically.

Not a 320d
Why is it very silly? As a young person the warranty and peace of mind of a new car would be handy too. Not to mention fuel, tax and other costs being lower. And then his insurance will be lower for subsequant years too...

I would get the Gt/ Rs twingo (Rs twingo would be my choice) and keep it standard mate. Forget modding it when its new, warranty isnt worth invalidating and you'll be more than happy with it as standard :D

The suspension seems good actually. And as for the other comments...

He obviously is being given a large chunk of his budget to buy a NEW car. Besides, you may be used to a 1*2 or 197. But this car is a lot faster than a 1.2. So yes it feels slow if your used to a RS, but for someone like me (new driver) and him (upgrade) the power is fine. And since the handlings good you can just chuck it in corners for thrills.

So thats were he's coming from basically.

THANKYOU !! :) Ive got about £5-6 k saved up and the remaining cash will be coming from the rents and grandparents for my 21st, ive also said that they are reluctant (As in they wont get me one) to get me a 197.

But why go for a clio gt over the twingo rs????

I dont like the twingo, as mentioned, there are too many things about the car that i would HATE, its a bit girly in some ways, its rear end, door handles, rev counter and speedo, stearing wheel, seats are ALL things i really dislike about the car. I like the look of the GT and i like its interior. I KNOW its a great car and they go rarther well as i saw at Cadwell Park on tuesday, but then the GT did too.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Fair enough, out of the box though the RST will own a GT. GT is like a warm hatch, Twingo is far more driver focused.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Fair enough, out of the box though the RST will own a GT. GT is like a warm hatch, Twingo is far more driver focused.

This ^

Don't think of the GT as a Renault Sport. Just think of it as a more nippy 1.2t

This ^

Don't think of the GT as a Renault Sport. Just think of it as a more nippy 1.2t

with loads of lag you will really have to work it hard ;) plus the tce is quite nippy

personally i feel the interior is what lets the twingo down i know its going to be more focused then the gt but your still going to have fun in a gt

anyvids of the gt at cadwell ?

Mini Cooper S
I reckon a TCE with a remap would be a much better drive than the GT ;)
If you like the whole package the GT offers then go for it, but 12k for a non-RS Clio is a lot of money to spend on a hatchback! Just because you're not paying for all of it, don't spunk the money on anything!

I reckon a TCE with a remap would be a much better drive than the GT ;)
If you like the whole package the GT offers then go for it, but 12k for a non-RS Clio is a lot of money to spend on a hatchback! Just because you're not paying for all of it, don't spunk the money on anything!

an a set of ebiachs or coilovers ;)

Better than yours. C*nt.
As I'm sure someone's already said, by the time you declare your modifications you'll be paying over 197 money.

Not a 320d
I kinda expected this. End of the day lads im not getting a 197 or a 200 and i really do like the GT, i know its not going to be the quickest of cars but it wont exactly be slow and the interior is pretty nice. Im going to test drive one soon, possibly tomorrow and ill be looking at ordering one (if i like it) at the begining of september in Malta Blue.

Thanks for all the comments though (good and bad) keep 'em coming. Just remember that i simply cannot afford to run and insure a 197 or rarther refuse to pay what itll cost.

Oh and im aware of the warranty thing, i doubt ill be modifying the thing for a long time anyways and as you guys have said the insurance will shoot up.

320d
They're reasonably nippy. As a standard car it's the handling that would worry me, I know my 1.2 was poor and had too much body roll.

However I haven't driven one so I can't comment. They look good and your only paying for half of it so why not.

Considered the dci? Not as quick 0-60 but will be decent when rolling with 177lbft of torque.

Not a 320d
They're reasonably nippy. As a standard car it's the handling that would worry me, I know my 1.2 was poor and had too much body roll.

However I haven't driven one so I can't comment. They look good and your only paying for half of it so why not.

Considered the dci? Not as quick 0-60 but will be decent when rolling with 177lbft of torque.

OOFFT no i couldnt live with a diesel. Nah i like petrol and according to the graphs in the brochure peak power for the GT is at ~6700rpm which is okay i guess and its ment to rev to shy of 7K. Id hate to have a car that redlined at 4500.:eek:

And the handling was the reason i was after a set of springs or coilovers too.

Better than yours. C*nt.
OOFFT no i couldnt live with a diesel. Nah i like petrol and according to the graphs in the brochure peak power for the GT is at ~6700rpm which is okay i guess and its ment to rev to shy of 7K. Id hate to have a car that redlined at 4500.:eek:

And the handling was the reason i was after a set of springs or coilovers too.

My diesel Megane GT ran rings around the petrol variant. Bigtime.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The diesel is more torquey, but the petrol is far from slow. Much better than a 1.2tce anyway.

Not a 320d
Well im off to drive the thing in a bit. Not getting my hopes up with it being quick in fact im expecting it to be s**t slow.