ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT Petrol vs. Diesel (Average MPG's?)

RB FF 182
Hey guys,

Long time no see!! So, around 18 months ago I part ex'd my 172 for a Peugeot 207 1.4 HDi Envy. I got shot to pieces for making the swap, but I don't regret it. I was mainly doing short journeys around town so my 172 was killing my on fuel. Anyway, long story short the type of driving I do has now completely changed. I'd say about 60% of my miles are now on the motorway or A roads. Therefore the puny 1.4 diesel engine is so sluggish it's pretty much counter productive to keep running it.

I can break even on it if I trade it in which is fine. I've been surfing auto trader and decided to check out the GT's as I've always liked the way they look. I've learnt over the years never to trust the 'combined' mpg's that manufacturers quote, so I wondered if there are any GT owners here, what kind of driving they do, and what sort of MPG they tend to average? Any faults that you've experienced etc...?

Cheers,

Lee.

Clio GT
Hi there,

I have a Petrol, malta blue GT.

I mainly do town driving, this includes a daily 3/4 mile journey to work at a constant 30mph. 3/4 times a week it includes a 3/4 mile journey at national speed limit country road, and general driving around town. It costs me between £62-65 to fill up, and atm im getting to 300miles before the fuel gauge beeps and range disapears. the 'average' MPG on my dash states 30.1 atm. Whenever ive done long distance, alton towers, newbury, thorpe park etc, my motorway driving speed is around 70 when speeed camera signs but when not 80-85 and mpg was around 35-38 MPG when i reset it.
The only fault ive had in 2 and a bit years is my passenger window motor went, but luckily that was the day before the service so got fixed no probs atall.
Ive had to get one new set of front tyres, and had to get frontbrake pads changed. My car is now ar around 20500 miles, so IMO, ive had no real probs.

Its not the fastest of cars, but its good on A roads, good on overtakes, had a few compliments about the handling of it, and on motorways it picks up speed quick enough to overtake etc.

This is my version, id recomend the car, and have had a number of people say if i ever want to get rid of it to let them know!

By the way, wanna buy mine? lol

Thinking of upgrading soon!

Joe.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Petrols are poor tbh, go alright when you get them going. mpgs are around the same as a 197/200. Get the dci 106, much better, feel quicker and will do 50+ mpgs

Not a 320d
here we go again. roll on the people who say the petrol is s**t.

70 mph cruising....36mpg
40 mph cruising....55mpg

I drive mine properly and am currently achieving an average of 28mpg and that's steadily declining.

average between 280 - 320 miles to a tank. Long motorway cruise sees 430 miles without beating it.

Brakes are a joke in all situations. Stock suspension is OK but sits like a f**king boat. Interior is the same as a clio 200 or 197 except cosmetically. 1.6 is supposedly gutless, doesn't have much torque and has some nasty flat spots. Seems ok to me but then I know how to get the most from it. Cant comment much on stock handling, ive had mine on coilovers since about 2 months of ownership from new.

RB FF 182
Cheers guys. MPG seems too low for me on the petrol so it'd probably have to be the diesel. Doesn't seem to be many diesel versions for sale at the minute locally so I'll keep my eyes open.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
i spent quite a bit of time driving my mates old GT DCi, ive never drive the 128hp 1.6 petrol but ive driven the 110hp version and it was terrible on fuel and pretty gutless.the DCi 106 is a cracker of an engine will do 50mpg around town without trying and easily do over 60mpg on a long motorway run. My mate drove his flat out EVERYWHERE and averaged 45mpg most days, same driving in his 200 and hes averaging 19-21mpg (it goes up and down!!)they feel like a soft version of a 200, lighter steering, softer but still pretty stiff suspension, not too much body roll but soak up bumps nicely, brakes as said above are strong enough but fade easily, only an issue if you push on quite a bit though wont affect 95% of drivers!

Clio GT 1.6
I'm getting the following on my 1.6 GT around 12000 miles

Motorway at 70mph easily over 42mpg
Some mixed driving town and motorway I'm getting above 37mpg.
Town only this obviously goes down to around 32mpg+

Personally I'm happy with this car, its fast enough for normal driving and never has felt under powered on the motorway whatsoever. Not had any problems with mine at all and also had the car since new touchwood! Same as other posts before me, car gets good looks even from 'renaultsport' owners and friends and family always comment on what a smart little car it is.
Hope that helps.