ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK1 1.4 RT Engine Modification

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Hi guys I want some help, I want to know the best engine to replace my 1.4 in my mk1. I'm not too fussed on speed its acceleration that the 1.4 is a let down on :S. My car is a work project so please no bad mouthing or scrap it :quiet:. The car was cheap and to modify it was equally cheap for me. The best I have done to my engine is replace the air box and create two air inductions to force cold air to the new air box and two air intakes to cool the manifold. But this is obviously not enough.

I am just wondering what engine to get and what is best. With any recommendations I would be eqaully appretiative if you can name any extras that can be added to the engine :star:.

582415_10200210242003872_1899398810_n.jpg

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Port the head and a 1.8 Laguna SPI throttle body, match the inlet to suit it. Chris H used to get cracking results from these.

is there any other forum links for this option? I dont really want to tamper with the 1.4 to much as its weak, although it has low milage I want to keep it as a spare engine... Hence I was looking at a completly different engine. Im looking at a 1.8 F7R engine at the moment as I saw one went into a williams clio.

Last edited:
is there any other forum links for this option? I dont really want to tamper with the 1.4 to much as its weak, although it has low milage I want to keep it as a spare engine... Hence I was looking at a completly different engine. Im looking at a 1.8 F7R engine at the moment as I saw one went into a williams clio.

The 1.8 is an f7p.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Find out from your insurer if there's a limit to engine size or any restrictions.

If they won't cover you, find someone who will.

1.8 16v or mk2 2.0 172 engine should fit.

Budget / expectations ?

You can get a volvo 1.7T engine in there I seem to recall.. basically you can get anything you want, within reason .. all depends on engineering skill, time and money !

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Find out from your insurer if there's a limit to engine size or any restrictions.

Budget / expectations ?

You can get a volvo 1.7T engine in there I seem to recall.. basically you can get anything you want, within reason .. all depends on engineering skill, time and money !

I think the f7p engine is my cheaper and easier option, it also looks attractive.
Tell me more about thos volvo engine.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Mechanically it was a piece of piss, dropped straight in very easily. Electrically was a nightmare! Had to run 3 ecu's, the original Renault one and 2 Volvo ones. Dave ended up paying scoff to come all the way up and do it for him, no one else was able to help!

And remember, standard they don't even have that much power, you have to spend money on them just to get them up to valver pace.

The second Clio engine conversion we did we did a f7p, in a day. Literally drove home from work on a Friday in a 1.4 and in on a Monday in a 1.8 16v.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Mechanically it was a piece of piss, dropped straight in very easily. Electrically was a nightmare! Had to run 3 ecu's, the original Renault one and 2 Volvo ones. Dave ended up paying scoff to come all the way up and do it for him, no one else was able to help!

And remember, standard they don't even have that much power, you have to spend money on them just to get them up to valver pace.

The second Clio engine conversion we did we did a f7p, in a day. Literally drove home from work on a Friday in a 1.4 and in on a Monday in a 1.8 16v.

What do I actually need to replace in my 1.4 to put this 1.8 in? Im pretty sure that the trans will be fine, but wiring, ecu, looms etc? What do I need, any advice would be most grateful! Especially from someone who has had the conversion.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Budget / expectations ?

.. you never actually answered any of my questions ?

I think the f7p engine is my cheaper and easier option, it also looks attractive.
Tell me more about thos volvo engine.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
.. you never actually answered any of my questions ?

my budget is around £500 i should expect as work will be done myself. A volvo engine isnt my thing, as lumping a 1.8 16v in will just change the car to a willaims on inurance. Im not fussed on my insurance as I have a 2.2l max. I dont want to be swapping heads, porting, or being awkward will ECU's as I know the volvo ones can be a pain in the a**

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If your budget is £500 I'd be on the look out for a rotten valver, either ph1 or find a ph1 ecu and do the swap. A doner car is much better than a box of bits.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
If your budget is £500 I'd be on the look out for a rotten valver, either ph1 or find a ph1 ecu and do the swap. A doner car is much better than a box of bits.
Thats what I was thinking to be honest, why a ph1? or does that mean mk1? I get confused with the phase bit lol.

94' Valver F4R'd
Get on Clio16Valver
F7P's can be picked up for peanuts! Ignore ebay they're not £500!!!!
F7R's are harder to come by and will be more expensive.

A decent F7P + JB3 box (Valver running gear too, driveshafts, hubs, brakes ect...) Won't set you back that much and you'll get 130Bhp if it's a strong engine :)

Straight swap into your car with the valver loom ect...

Don't go for an F4R unless you have really deep pockets and are good at making your own wiring looms!

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Get on Clio16Valver
F7P's can be picked up for peanuts! Ignore ebay they're not £500!!!!
F7R's are harder to come by and will be more expensive.

A decent F7P + JB3 box (Valver running gear too, driveshafts, hubs, brakes ect...) Won't set you back that much and you'll get 130Bhp if it's a strong engine :)

Straight swap into your car with the valver loom ect...

Don't go for an F4R unless you have really deep pockets and are good at making your own wiring looms!

Thank you, I will look now, I was thinking of replacing all the running gear for the valver stuff, as I know its stronger. I was thinking of getting a rear ended valvers but their really hard to come by becuase no-one ever wants to sell them whole. Such an annoyance, else I would have done it by now. I think this summer i'll lock the clio up and start the project. Whats the economy of the F7P engine 30 to the gallon? Im not fussed just wanna know.
Also I recently fitted a 57i to my clio to add a bit of performance and for some reason no matter how hard I try it wont sit correctly in replacement of the old box. any ideas?

94' Valver F4R'd
Yeah replace everything from the front end of a valver basically, You will have to cut a small part of your bonnet skin out to clear the engine too if you're not putting the valver bonnet on.
Should be able to pick up all the parts cheap on clio16valver also a better place to be for MK1's :)
Depends on how you drive the car and where, around town being nice to mine i get 30ISH. Hammering it it's more like 20!

TAKE THAT '57i' KIT OFF RIGHT NOW. IT WILL SLOW YOUR CAR DOWN.
You will be sucking in HOT and DIRTY air from in the engine bay.
Get yourself a K&N panel filter and run some ducting from the front bumper to the airbox. MUCH BETTER!!
I did it on my 1.4, check it here:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?655416-MK1-Long-Term-Project!-Thoughts-and-Ideas!!-)

57i kit's make a silly induction noise and do not add performance sucking in hot dirty air.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Yeah replace everything from the front end of a valver basically, You will have to cut a small part of your bonnet skin out to clear the engine too if you're not putting the valver bonnet on.
Should be able to pick up all the parts cheap on clio16valver also a better place to be for MK1's :)
Depends on how you drive the car and where, around town being nice to mine i get 30ISH. Hammering it it's more like 20!

TAKE THAT '57i' KIT OFF RIGHT NOW. IT WILL SLOW YOUR CAR DOWN.
You will be sucking in HOT and DIRTY air from in the engine bay.
Get yourself a K&N panel filter and run some ducting from the front bumper to the airbox. MUCH BETTER!!
I did it on my 1.4, check it here:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?655416-MK1-Long-Term-Project!-Thoughts-and-Ideas!!-)

57i kit's make a silly induction noise and do not add performance sucking in hot dirty air.

Ive got filtered cold air going to the filter, ive double filtered the air inducts that lead from my bumper, i have two induction pipes 86mm each, and ive already got the valver bonnet, tooks months to find at a decent price. As i got pissed off with my manifold feeding the air box air... Stupid idea i think. I drive at approx 30mpg i think then, oh well might aswell drop a 1.8 in its place lol.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Trust us that 57i is wrecking it...

As said before check with your insurance, they are VERY picky with engine swaps.... it would be cheaper tbh to find and insure a valver. Than doing this.

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
hi again guys, ive recently been looking for an engine and wondered how hard is it to fit a renault 5 gt turbk engine instead of the valver.im nust thinking of other things to do with the engine. I know the valaver seems the safer option but how hard is it to drop the 5 turbo in its place?

This car is my show car project and the rt engine is hidious amd sluggish. I want something different. Also im im the process of spraying my interior and came to an abrupt halt. I cant seem to remove the cover for the steering column because of a dial for my lights? Honestly i dont even know what it does lol. It seems to be connected to two hoses that are difficult to remove, and the dial just doesnt pop off. How is it removed and what is it?

I will post picture soon of progress!

Clio Mk1 + Clio DCI
Got myself and full renault 5 engine and turbo, with a 16v Subframe and full kit! CHUFFED to say the least, should be an overnight swap, just need to service the engine, any recomendations of plugs for the 5 engine, wanna get this engine running nicely just want to advice for what plugs and leads to use.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
on a previous comment it is stated... Trade Insurance, and I got confused between engines, but either way make no difference to me. Either way now I have a renault 5 engine

Happy time with that - one thing I will say is be careful with the standard intercooler... they had a nasty habit of going pop even on standard boost, might be worth having a look at...