ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk2 Leak UNDER front seats

Renault Clio 1.6
Hi,

There has been similar threads about this i.e. "wet floor in my cup?? anyone experienced this?"

The possible answers seem to be endless. I do have this problem under (i.e. not in foot wells - front or back) - very wet! Has anyone come up with an answer? I have:

1. Looked under the the headlining round the sunroof (electronic sunroof on an Initiale) by removing trim strip and gently pulling down headlning - all dry there.
  2. Dry under interior light near aerial bolt
  3. Checked all sill drain points - all clear
  4. Drain pipe directly in front of bulkhead in engine bay - fine, although I haven't yet checked the interior of the bulkead i.e. directly under Windscreen wipers.
  5. Door seal on drivers side all clean and the B pillar - the pillar and interior sill area are dry.
It's a real mystery and defies logic, especially as the footwells are not wet!

A thought - there are 2 black funnel - type vents under the seats - I take it they are heating vents - they are in the right area, but surely water couldn't be coming down these could it ?!?

Perplexed and confused!

BMW M135i
Had something similar before, just get the seats, carpet, and foam out of the front and give it the big style hose treatment. You should hopefully be able to see where its coming in.

Last one was a block skuttle drain and it ran in through the heater and made a swimming pool under the seats but as you say you've already checked this.

Other thing to check is are the rubber bungs that cover the seat nuts under the car in place?

Renault Clio 1.6
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't checked all the scuttle drain points. I only checked the middle drain tube. Your comment was useful as it made me find out the whereabouts & number of other drain points so I will check these too.

Interestingly, when I first noticed the leak about 3 weeks ago, I stumbled across a rubber grommet being dislodged quite a bit from the floor pan underneath where the seat bolt goes and we had driven thorugh a bad rainstorm. When I spotted the dislodged bung I thought "yipee" that'll be the reason but I think my joy was premature! :( I'll keep looking...

Clio 172 Cup
Hello I've had exactly the same problem this last week. The passenger side footwell was soaking wet and when I pressed down on it my hand would get submerged with water.

I took up the passenger side carpets and foam dried it all off and had a mate shower the car with a hose and water started coming in from the top of the footwell from what appeared to be behind the glove box.

After a little more inspection, I had taken off the wipers and plastic panel trying to find a hole I found that the screenwash hose runs through the car through the footwell. This had a massive hole in the metal and nothing to spare the rubber hose from rubbing. More inspection showed that there is a little rubber gromit on the inside of the car which had come out of the hole. One awkward body position and more water showed that this was where the problem was. After 20 minutes of pushing with two big flat head screwdrivers I managed to get the gromit back into place. After another water test no more leak! Now I just need to wait for it to rain to see if it's really sorted.

The hose entry hole is located at the top left hand side of the footwell. It's a real b**ch to get underneath to see what you're doing and the gromit isn't exactly easy to push back in but it seems to have sorted the problem. If you can't find it easily detach the screenwash reservoir and you'll see where the hole is. If there isn't a rubber seal that'll be your problem.

Renault Clio 1.6
Thanks for that comprehensive tip.
Yesterday I explored had the scuttle behind the bulkhead. It's not that easy (in fact I found it impossible! )to get to the middle main drain to see if it's blocked - I checked it from the other end. I poured water into the middle and the sides to make sure water was draining away, along with the sunroof drain tubes. All appears to be fine there.
Today (what a way to spend part of your Bank Holiday - but the weather was poor here anyway) I did some more checking and horror of horrors It wasn't just the underneath of the front seats. The rear passenger (drivers side) was saturated! Then I thought I'd check the driver's footwell. Didn't expect to find that that was saturated as well! So, while I was at it I thought I'd check the passenger footwell and really didn't expect it, but you've guessed it!! The only footwell that was dry was the rear nearside. Anyway I've taken out the foam & felt (cut it to make that easier). They're all drying out in the shed, after me squeezing out as much out as I could.
I've dried out the floor pan and under the carpet. We'll see what happens next rainfall.

But your tip about the screenwash pipe is worth knowing and I will have look.
I wonder whether the rubber grommet that was dislodged from the floor pan underneath let though a lot of water when we drove through the rainstorm ( it was bad) and the foam has just soaked it up and it's just sat there. I don't know -I'd like to think it was that simple. I've just got to keep an open mind and patience!

Thanks again.

Renault Clio 1.6
Hello I've had exactly the same problem this last week. The passenger side footwell was soaking wet and when I pressed down on it my hand would get submerged with water.

I took up the passenger side carpets and foam dried it all off and had a mate shower the car with a hose and water started coming in from the top of the footwell from what appeared to be behind the glove box.

After a little more inspection, I had taken off the wipers and plastic panel trying to find a hole I found that the screenwash hose runs through the car through the footwell. This had a massive hole in the metal and nothing to spare the rubber hose from rubbing. More inspection showed that there is a little rubber gromit on the inside of the car which had come out of the hole. One awkward body position and more water showed that this was where the problem was. After 20 minutes of pushing with two big flat head screwdrivers I managed to get the gromit back into place. After another water test no more leak! Now I just need to wait for it to rain to see if it's really sorted.

The hose entry hole is located at the top left hand side of the footwell. It's a real b**ch to get underneath to see what you're doing and the gromit isn't exactly easy to push back in but it seems to have sorted the problem. If you can't find it easily detach the screenwash reservoir and you'll see where the hole is. If there isn't a rubber seal that'll be your problem.

Had a look today for where the screenwash tube goes through the bulkhead and the grommet appears to be in place O.K. Whilst in the convoluted position :) I checked other grommets etc. All looks well as far as I can see.
We'll wait for the rains and see what happens. Thanks again for the tip. It's always good to have informed advice.

Renault Clio 1.6
Just a bit of an update. I am of the opinion that the sunroof may be the issue.I'm guessing that wont be a surprise to some! I really gave it a very good clean, getting rid of all the moss build-up etc. Made sure the drain holes were clear by poking them with a flexible piece of plastic and then carefully pouring somewater down the channels. All was OK. However, when it rained the next few times I was still getting some water in the front nearside footwell. However, it seemed to settle down after week or so, providing I didn't open the sunroof, which, by the way is the electric variety. I might be wrong, but I tend to think that the sunroof doesn't particularly like being dislodged i.e. used! and doesn't seal well,unless left. Sounds bizarre and I might still be wrong.

May be of use to someone, though.

A.N. Other
I managed to revive an old seal on an old car by using the silicon lubricant spray I had lying around - obviously not a true fix, but as long as I didn't open it then it didn't leak!

Iceburg 172 cup
helo! I have the same problem and its soo frustrating!!! Cant fugure out why it can be leaking.. The whole driver side was saturated and it took an age to dry out then it happend again :mad:.. By this time aye was really loosing the head lol.. Ive not got a sunroof so it cant be that,, any ideas????

clio 200
I've had the same problem... i found that all the drain points were clear, however, water was getting in through the pollen filter box, and was filling up so much it was going into the heater matrix and blowing through the heaters.
As a result, what i've done is drill a hole in the bottom of the pollen filter box, so the water can escape if it still leaks into there (not the most professional fix, but id prefer that than puddles in the footwell) Up to now, seems to have done the trick!

Hope it helps someone else!

Must read my front driver side water pool leaks fix:

My car: 2001 Clio RS Mk2 in silver (milage: 70,000 KM)

what happen:
Started when one day I parked my car under trees when the heavily rain and storm were happening. 2 days after, the storm was gone, I went to my car and opened the door. "OH my fxxking god" I screamed! I found this big pool of water built up (approx 2 CM high from carpet) on the driver side foot area... also the passaenger carpet and was all soaked thru. With bad mood i used my vaccum cleaner to suck the water out as best as I could and opened all the windows for couple days to dry the carpet...(even though the underneath form could take months to dry out). Just the starting of Nightmare, since that time, same thing happened after the car exposed to heavy rain. I know i have to do something...

Fix: Thanks to Cliosoprt.net i found some buddies here have had the same problem as mine. And i concluded that it must be the 3 blocked drain holes under the windshield scuttle (becuz the problem started after I parked under the trees). And i am going to give some tips on the fixing here, hope to save your time in the futures~!

-Yes there is 3 drian holes under the scuttle as many buddies have told, but if your water leaks symptoms is focusing on the driver side, the blocked one should be on the drvier's side scuttle hole! In fact, it is the only hole which does not required you to take off the wipers for reach and clean. SO try that hole first.

Step 1)
There is a rubber clip on top corner, pls pull the scuttle's corner directly up to upclip. Then, one more rubber pin you need to push the centre to release. There will be sealant between the scuttle and windshield you may need a cutter to help do the job. There you go, you should be able to take out this small part of the scuttle plastic out of the way.

Step 2)

Where is hell is the drain hole? This is the tricky part - you will not see it ! Go ahead put your hand into it and search by using your fingers! (Just like search for the secret spot on your Gf!) Pls take out the dirt and leaves which have built up while you search. Be patient! The size of the hole is almost like my thumb, mine was completely blocked...

you may stop here, pull some water into the area, and you should see the water comes out instantly from that bottom side of the car!

Step 3)

If you wanna check the middle and passager side hole as well, you need to take off the bigger part of the scutter, which involving the wipers de-assemble. To take off the wipers. Pop the 3 protective plastic caps by hand, unbolt the 3 bolts. the wipers itselves are difficult to pull off, therefore a small 3 point puller is recommended for separation. The following procedure are similar to the smaller plastic scuttle.

Step4)

the middle hole is hidden right behind the metal plate, again you must use your fingers to feel and search for it, the hole is not circle but in oval sharp...but be patient, this hole is even harder to find....

Step5)

for the passenger side hole, you need to remove the big-ass water bottle as the hole is hidden under it.

conclusion:

So the problem was gone ever since I cleaned the holes (actually only the diver hole was blocked in my case), I have no idea how easy it was to clean it before. I would definitly do the job much earlier if I knew it was only a 15mins job. Please pass on to others! Good luck! Thank you!

:eek:

421 Cammed 172
Easier way to do the 2 side ones is to remove the wheel arch linings, you can also clean behind the skirts while these are off too which is another root cause of the leaking.

Re Centre Hole : I can't find this, has anyone got any easy tips on finding it?

Thanks