ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK2 Problem HELP!!!!

Clio 172 Mk2
I have a Clio 172 Mk2 on a 51 Plate. I got it out the garage the other day to find when I started it up it started to shake a bit plus it is backfiring and smells of eggs. I still tried to take it for a drive but there is just no power at all its only got 31k on the clock. Any one got any clues?

try the ht leads as i had a similar prob with another car , 1 of the leads was breakin down causing lack of power , and misfire , idea anyway

Clio 172 Mk2
How much would I New cat be you think?

Any body got any more ideas as to what it may be?

Mazda MX5 1.8
kullycliosport said:
try the ht leads as i had a similar prob with another car , 1 of the leads was breakin down causing lack of power , and misfire , idea anyway

that would make some sence as when one of my coils went it ran horrible and real eggy

Volvo S60 T5
Sounds like it missfiring.
Cat will stink if car missfires, have a look at you plugs and leads, on the RS the leads can fuse together causing missfiring, alos worth taking your plugs out.
If its anything more than the simple stuff above it will need to be checked out on a diagnostic machine.
Dont condem the cat straight away, its all to easy to jump in and spend loads of cash when you dont need to.

Clio 172 Mk2
Am going to the garage to day not a Renault garage and I will let you know if he find the problem. Cheers for you help guys

Clio 172 Mk2
Went to the local garage 2 day not a Renault one and the computer would not read the ECU so someone is coming to my house tomorrow with a better computer to read my ECU so ill have to pay £55 for the pleasure that’s just to see what the problem is. What a load of trouble.

Does any one think the problem I am having could be Spark Plugs?????????

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 18
if eggy smell it cat, misfire could be down to coil pack and or plugs, take em if if poss and see if diffence in colour on one plug to others. ie white on one but black on others

Renault clio 1.2 RT
Hey m8 ive got the exact problem right this min
i am going to call sum1 out the same as u home tune i think ther called tis only 45£ for me tho but if u find out the problem let me know wat it was coz ive got the exact same thing shakin and cuttin out
no power wen u put ya foot down and that ive changed my plugs and took me coil pack of and blown it all out lookin for water put it all back on still the same i think it mite just be buggers keep me updated wat the feller says m8

Clio 172 Mk2
The fella has been out it was misfiring on 1 & 4 as the spark plugs and leads where damaged after water had got in when I washed the engine. Replaced all 4 plugs and leads and all is well now am well happy.

Ph 2 172
Ive had the same problem on my Mk2, no power on acceleration, feels like it wants to cut out all the time. Took it for a service, spark plugs changed and new brake switch fitted. Runs fine now. No problems at all. Bloke at the garage said the problem was caused by water that had leaked in when i washed my engine down. Ooops!