ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio ph2 172 oil filter disaster

Black clio ph2 172
Hi
I'am new to the cliosport forum and thought i would share my tale of woe

Recently i done a oil filter change on my clio 172 and kinda got into trouble removing the oil filter

the last owner must of kranked the filter on so tight it would not undo by hand

i tried sticking a screwdriver through the filter and tried to turn it still no joy........ cut a long story short ( after loads of swearing and bruised arms)

the filter was F***ed..... the only thing left was the oil base plate stuck on the engine block...... I even tried tapping the oil filter base with a chizel still no joy

P***ed right off i knew i should of taken it to a garage.....

Anyways after a crappy night sleep worrying about the clio i decided to have another go...

i had a look through my dads tool box and found the removal tool you use to take off angle grinder discs with

http://i34.tinypic.com/2cpye5u.jpg

this fitted spot on in the oil filter base plate holes....after plenty of wd40 and loads of swearing the base plate started to turn........... and eventually came off

So if you ever get in this s**tty situation dont give up get your self an angle grinder removal tool and all your oil filer troubles will be gone

Last edited:
  Clio 197
Glad you got it sorted, I admit I have used the screwdriver method before in the past without problems however when I last did it on my mates mg it "nearly" didn't come loose before the filter was fooked. Best bet is to get a proper filter removal tool for future. However if you only did it up hand tight then it won't be an issue in future

Ph1
I remember once having real bother getting a filter off. Wouldn't move for love nor money and started to bend............then i realised the golden rule....WARM THE CAR UP FIRST lol - Came off a piece of piss then

Clio 197
I remember once having real bother getting a filter off. Wouldn't move for love nor money and started to bend............then i realised the golden rule....WARM THE CAR UP FIRST lol - Came off a piece of piss then

Yeah as long as you hadn't already stabbed the oil filter :)

Clio 172 cup
Also dont get any oil on the alternator when u remove the filter.

I did and 4 days later the alternator burnt out