ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Road Rally Car

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Thought I should take the clio out today and take some pix as my 2nd
post was my Avenger lol
Anyway this is my Rsi I got as it was cheap and looked like a lot of fun
the lad I got it off could be a member but I dont know!
26032010029.jpg

26032010030.gif

26032010031.jpg

Rally Cinquecento
Looks good mate, where about do you compete? I do a lot of navigating in Wales. Have you got the rear seats in? cant really see if there folded down in the pictures.

Here's mine when I was competing on a novice rally last November

Photo0097.jpg

Finished 13th o/a (50 starters) 4th in Beginner class and best Under 1400, not bad for a shagged 1.2!

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Up in the north east I dont think road rallying is at the same level
as in wales:dapprove:. No rear seats and nothing was sed so hay ho!
But then again I only do it for the fun lol. We are in the expert class
so we in with the realy quick lads in mk2's protons ect so we have a good
battle!!!!
Your car looks good:clap:

Rally Cinquecento
Yeah it is pretty big here! The fact that last years Cilwendeg received almost 200 entry's in 2 weeks for 75 spaces says enough I think!
Might jest not be as keen your end then! the scruts would jest laugh at you here, there pretty keen!

Thanks! Was pretty proud of it, got home from university a week before the event and prepped it during the week and it was ready Friday night. Jest through a clock, strip light, spots and a spare wheel post and we were away!
Don't have the car any more though sadly, sold it a while after the event, only because I've got another project though :evil:

Here's me on the event in November.
IMG_0086.jpg

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
How are you finding it so far? I used to compete in a few before in the 197 it got crashed into on an event.

Trying to find a suitable event next month for the MINI to try out.

Rally bus
Lonsdale Belt rally next month in Cumbria if you fancy another event, an excellent route has been planned, all on map 97 :)

Rally Cinquecento
Road Rallying is a navigation based event that's timed on an average of 30 MPH, and roll cage's bucket seats etc are not compulsory, this is because you should be able to compete in the same car you pop to the shops in. Speeding and driving aggressively is discouraged and you would be prosecuted in the same way as if you did it on any other night if the police catch you. And helmates and intercom etc is not allowed, as it should not be any more dangerous than driving normally.

BTW I know I look like a dick lol, that car had a non PAS rack! 4 turns lock to lock is not nice on these events!

Clio 220 lpg
Did the Weardale rally few weeks ago 7 o/a and 4 in class.
Car is doing an auto solo on sunday :D[/quote]
You started from my garage, did you have some cake?

i dont get it? so if its not about speed what is the reason for doing it? (genuine questions not sarcasm) is it endurance or what?
He said its navigation based. I guess you are given some instructions at the start of the event and have to go through some checkpoints. Maybe?

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
They give you clues to which you plot your route from one time control to the next. Clues vary depending on your skill level. There are also boards on the side of the road which you have to note down to prove you were on the right route.

You get mins added on to your timeif you drop a board, arrive early or late.

Qashcow
is ti like the one they did in corsica on top gear? you lose time for being too early or late etc?

Rally Cinquecento
Right at the start of an event you are give route instructions, witch are give as 6 figure plots to put on an Ordnance Survey map. The route is comprised of simply Time Controls (TC's) and Passage Controls (PC's) that lead to each other and you have to visit them in the correct order and in the right direction.

You have a TC at the start and end with clocks on them (and sometimes ITC inbetween them) and you are give a start time, say 00:00 and given 5 minuets to do a 2.5 mile section, so your due time for the end control is 00:05. You try and get to that control by that time if your late that's the time you drop on that section, if your early you have to wait, and you have 'cleaned' the section.

Inbetween the start and finish controls you have the PC's where you have to stop and obtain a signature from the marshal, confirming that you have visited the control correctly. If you enter the control the wrong way or obtain a time earlyer than you wanted (got a 00:04 at the finish control mentioned earlier) you get a fail.

So when you think about it, obtaining a 30MPH average, down some twisty/muddy/narrow lanes/tracks, while having to stop for signatures etc is hard.

The winners are decided first by the least number of fails, not amount of time dropped, so if someone has dropped no time all night but got 5 fails, and someone has dropped 10 mins and got no fails, the one who dropped 10 mins wins. If no one has got a fail, then the amount of time dropped is used to determine the winner.

That's why its a navigational based thing, the navigator has to make sure your going the right way, on the right time and make sure the signatures are all obtained.

Why do we do it? Its our hobby, same reason as people modify cars, attend cruises etc, the social side is massive in Wales, well over a 1000 people at the start venue of the rally I did last weekend.

P.S If you want to find out more, visit your local motor club, there usually always welcome to introduce new people to the sport :)

RB 182
Haven't done navigational rallies for quite some time now, mainly because we've progressed onto stage rallying, but could be tempted to give it a go again if time allows, was such good fun!

One of the best forms of motorsport to get involved in if you've never done anything like it before IMHO.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Its all good fun and a good way to spend a sat night lol
A nice steddy 30 mph all night;)

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
We do ours on fri night.;) I love it when there are water splashes with togs there.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
I did one last night, 1st with the new engine

270320101445.jpg

270320101446.jpg

270320101447.jpg

270320101449.jpg

Always looks better covered in mud lol....,didnt miss a beat, which is good as doing a stage rally at Caerwent in Wales tomorrow:)

Rally Cinquecento
Dont worry, my car 'the frog' as it was kindly named by my mates was only a last minuet thing cos I didn't (and still haven't) finish my proper rally car. But still, the 1.2 litres of fury didn't let me down! :D

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
How did you do?

We came 2nd as we got lost on a section near the start, but then easily cleaned the rest where as nobody else did....,Caerwent on sunday was brilliant, never done it before and was seeded at 91 of the maximum 100, finished 36th, not bad considering we are even still on standard suspension:D lost 1st gear on the 1st stage mind:(

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
What sort of spec cars you lads running in your cars and any tips?
As I have never had a clio befor and got it in a moment of madness lol

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Well I think its time to revive this old thred.
The cars been off the road and in the back off the garage but a few weeks ago I decided to get her back on the road.
She passed her mot with no problems and is back on the road. Have a good run out with some cs members up to tan hill
and was quite imprested with the car and how quick she is for an old girl!
So the plan now is to get her a sump gaurd and do some tweeks and do the Durham and Hexham championships and see how
we get on.

LY182/NHB CTR
Right at the start of an event you are give route instructions, witch are give as 6 figure plots to put on an Ordnance Survey map. The route is comprised of simply Time Controls (TC's) and Passage Controls (PC's) that lead to each other and you have to visit them in the correct order and in the right direction.

You have a TC at the start and end with clocks on them (and sometimes ITC inbetween them) and you are give a start time, say 00:00 and given 5 minuets to do a 2.5 mile section, so your due time for the end control is 00:05. You try and get to that control by that time if your late that's the time you drop on that section, if your early you have to wait, and you have 'cleaned' the section.

Inbetween the start and finish controls you have the PC's where you have to stop and obtain a signature from the marshal, confirming that you have visited the control correctly. If you enter the control the wrong way or obtain a time earlyer than you wanted (got a 00:04 at the finish control mentioned earlier) you get a fail.

So when you think about it, obtaining a 30MPH average, down some twisty/muddy/narrow lanes/tracks, while having to stop for signatures etc is hard.

The winners are decided first by the least number of fails, not amount of time dropped, so if someone has dropped no time all night but got 5 fails, and someone has dropped 10 mins and got no fails, the one who dropped 10 mins wins. If no one has got a fail, then the amount of time dropped is used to determine the winner.

That's why its a navigational based thing, the navigator has to make sure your going the right way, on the right time and make sure the signatures are all obtained.

Why do we do it? Its our hobby, same reason as people modify cars, attend cruises etc, the social side is massive in Wales, well over a 1000 people at the start venue of the rally I did last weekend.

P.S If you want to find out more, visit your local motor club, there usually always welcome to introduce new people to the sport :)

I have probably met you then as I have marshalled a couple of these events in the past.. I also run an MSA and WAMC reg site ;)

What club are you with?

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Well bit of an update this morning been outside and sorted a few things.
The exaust kept moving and hitting at the back so now stopped it moveing with a good old handy tie:)
01042012531.jpg

Exaust is noisy now know why a Fooking Powerflow!
01042012532.jpg

Give the ajusters a spray on the rear dampers.
01042012533.gif

Engine bay shot, nothing fancy needs a new engine mount imo.
01042012534.gif

But have got this to slot in there it came with the car but never got chance to put it on.
01042012535.gif

Shot of that the inside rear is like.
01042012536.gif