ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RSI/Pug 106 GTI/Saxo VTR?

Clio 182
I'm selling my clio in october for something quicker :D , depending if i get job in september first mind, and was wondering which of the above to get?!

Clio - got clio at the moment, good car to drive! bit heavy
106 - had one before clio, wrote off, go kart on wheels!!
Saxo - chav factor!?!

All of you lot would probably say the clio, but im towards the 106?! I would buy a mkII phI clio sport, but insurance is to high for me at t mo!

What are your views/opinions?! Any one owned any of above?!

Cheers

weighing up your odds ..................pug 106gti is the one you are getting , u looking for the reasurance of cliosport .........go for it :eek:

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I had the RSi, a phase 3 jobbie with all the gauges like on the Williams. Bit old now IMHO. Why a VTR rather than a VTS, same as the GTi? Go for the Pug if it was me.

Cheers, Rob669

Ph2 172
106 gti out of that lot but if money is a factor you will get a much better saxo vts for less money than a 106 gti and they are exactly the same car underneath.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I wouldn't go for an RSi.

Either a 106 GTi or a Saxo VTS. I had a VTS, excellent performance and handling. Very nearly as quick as a 172 (whereas an RSi isn't at all) and I'd say a VTS would out handle a 172. I've had both a VTS and a 172.

GTi same car as a VTS but more exclusive and expensive.

VTS all the way, screw the image snobs. Loads of Clios are plastic chav mobiles anyway.

Clio 182
I was looking at the VTR because the VTS is a lot, lot more and only for 8v more i can see!! I only have bout £3k tops, plus insurance!

Cheers for all your replies guys, still undecided, but got ages to go yet!

There is a fair gulf in performace between a VTR and S though. It's not just the extra 8v but it's the gear ratios and dual overhead cam.

Nissan 350Z
One of my mates has got a VTR and its a fair bit off the pace of a GTI / VTS. Think the VTR hits a ton in something like 28 seconds? The GTI / VTS is more like low 20's.

I'd go for the 106 out of those. After driving the VTR I can relate to the "go-kart with a roof" sensation it has, nice and light. With a GTI, you pay a bit more, but you get better looks, and nicer seats. Also 14" wheels which I prefer over the 15" wheels on the VTS - cheaper tyres and slightly better acceleration.

I actually miss the performance of my VTS. The 172 just doesn't feel as quick or as agile whether it is or not.

Vectra :(
For the price of a gti you could get a VTS and spend a bit of money on it.

VTS's are generally quite a bit cheaper than a gti. i know coz i am in the middle of trying to choose now once the 172 sells. Only thing putting me off a saxo is the image as someone else said, the 106 looks nicer. However for the price of a low mile gti (£3000-£5000) you can get a nice low mile ish VTS and have a thousand or so in your back pocket. Throw £1500 at it and you will be making circa 150bhp too which wont be far off the pace of a standard 172.

Chris1.4RT said:
I wouldn't go for an RSi.

Either a 106 GTi or a Saxo VTS. I had a VTS, excellent performance and handling. Very nearly as quick as a 172 (whereas an RSi isn't at all) and I'd say a VTS would out handle a 172. I've had both a VTS and a 172.

GTi same car as a VTS but more exclusive and expensive.

VTS all the way, screw the image snobs. Loads of Clios are plastic chav mobiles anyway.

Youve got a balance point of view Chris, cant say the same for alot of people! :D

Spot on tbh, if you can afford it, get a GTi! If you want to save a few quid and still go fast, get a VTS.

Depends how much youve got to spend, you're getting into mk1 172 prices!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
wud NEVER buy a saxo. about as original as...........er........ something thats not very original. 106 look nice and everythin and quick and well good fun but at end of day its a peugeot and pugs are trouble, ive had 5 of em. clio by far best of those 3 and im not bein biased!

106 GTi
Out of the 3 -106 GTi, nicer interior than the Saxo and slightly less of the image problem. Nowt in the drive of them though.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
Chris1.4RT said:
I actually miss the performance of my VTS. The 172 just doesn't feel as quick or as agile whether it is or not.

doesnt feel as sharp i reckon, but i can notice the performance between the 172 and vts and lot more after 80. but its the handling that makes the saxo what it is and take on bigger rivals.

M2 Competition
I was toying with the idea of a vts/ 106 gti for a bit.

Anyone else find the seating position in the vts too high? i hit the roof!

as for chav, any car can be chav if you bling it up, but if u strip it out, on motorsport style wheels, coilies, it'll look awesome, be stupid fast, and not look chav,
for not much outlay...

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
106gti is the best car in that list imo and is clearly quite a bit quicker than the other two and comes with a nice interior, bonus.
and it also doesnt have a chav/boyracer image like the vtr as well.

Clio 182
Sorry bout lateness, internet playing up! Thanks for all the coments guys, i don't want a punto, never have really liked them! Everyone to there own though! I'd agree with most of the comments, the 106 is better looking and have found a few for a round £1.5k?! But the saxo....same car basically for less?! Anyone had insurance on them before, if so what were the premiums?! Im a 18 yr old, driving 1 and half, one claim and TS10! Will be 19 when, if, i buy car and years no claims(hopefully)!!

Clio 182
Revels106Mine was £1300 TPFT with loadsa mods declared to Elephunk! 1yr NCB and 19!

dunno how you quote!

Yea, that sounds like me, done a qoute with elephant and was £1300 (tpft)! with claim and points! quite pleased actually! sorry guys if this is in wrong section!