ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio running like a bag of sh*t, lots of smoke, and spluttering

Trafic 140dci
this weekend my car has got what i'm calling a cold lol, its playing up, but its really random, runs fine one minute, next things its spluttering, idling about 200rpm and then dying, starts back up fine.

power was down at least 10bhp the rollers today, and since it was last RR'd its had a few bits done so should be up on power, but this weekends problems is putting it down, its also blowing out blue smoke while revving up then when it got to high rev's on the rollers some black smoke.<br><br>was hoping for a good result today but this has really held my car back :/

next weekend i'm going to try a new coil pack, leads, plugs and give it an oil change (all needs doing anyway) but will eleminate the obvious first.

everything seems alright under the bonnet, nothings moved etc.

just randomly started happening yesterday lol.

any help appreciated.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Blue smoke is generally considered bad mmmkay! How much are we talking about and when does it do it; at idle or under any kind of load?

Start simple before forking out on parts you potentially dont need as a coilpack, faulty or not, will not cause a blue smoke. Your first port of call should be inspect your inlet track for any signs of oil being picked up and sucked in (Cheap/saturated air filters can cause this). Then, if all is nice and clean, compression test and leak down test the lump.

Mink

Temp sender? Not uncommon. Causes the ECU to over fuel. The needle on the water temp gauge will swing around when it's happening. Worth a look.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
BLUE smoke is oil burning Roy and unlikely to be caused by any electrical item. If theres ring damage then this may account for the poor running. Coilpacks, CTS's, etc are all (IMO) going to be a waste of money at this stage.

Given he said he also has black smoke at high rpm but if he's got a cylinder down this will also cause black smoke as unburnt fuel is sent thru the hot CAT.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
burning oil yes and they are the most likely causes however i've seen a few sports cough up there guts into the inlet track before so this also needs checking first as it takes 10mins and costs nothing.

Stem seals don't normally leak enough to drop a cylinder though... compression test will rule this out though or possibly explain the smoke and poor running/loss of power.

Yeah I did wonder about the blue smoke comment. Just an idea, as it sounds like very similar symptoms otherwise.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
what ECU do you run? sounds like there's some setup issues. Could be out of balance ITB's, or even a sensor down.

Trafic 140dci
its only blue smoke when i really drive it hard, i'm running a an omex 600, mapping did cross my mind as since its been mapped i had a decat, 182 manifold, different exhaust fitted so i dont know if the lamba sensors on the exhaust could be causing an issues?

i'm sure it isn't connected and is only a coinsedence, but it happened after i fitted solid top mounts, car is absolutly fine driving casually, it just goes down hill when i put my foot down, will have a look at my throttle bodies at the weekend

thanks

lewis

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
was it mapped with the wideband stuck up the tailpipe, but still with the cat fitted? This will make a very big difference, and it's a mistake I've seen numerous times.

Did they do AFR readings at the RR day? happy to take a look for you if you wanted to come over at some point. Regardless of issues, ITB's need a little maintenance anyway. Got to keep them in balance or it can all turn to crap

Evo 5 RS
Sounds pretty sick to me :( for the record fella mine only blew out smoke on the limiter and the compression was quite low on one cylinder.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
bit of a puff on the limiter isn't too much to worry about. usually have fuel and ignition cut limiters set at different points

Trafic 140dci
was it mapped with the wideband stuck up the tailpipe, but still with the cat fitted? This will make a very big difference, and it's a mistake I've seen numerous times.

Did they do AFR readings at the RR day? happy to take a look for you if you wanted to come over at some point. Regardless of issues, ITB's need a little maintenance anyway. Got to keep them in balance or it can all turn to crap
Cat was still fitted when it was mapped , no idea about wide band as Matt mapped it while I wasn't there, on the rolling road meet I didn't get an AFR reading, not using the car for a few weeks now, so gonna service it this weekend then I think I will get in touch Danny so you can have a look :)

Trafic 140dci
done a service, oil, plugs, new leads and fitted a mocal oil cooler i'd bought a while back, car seems to be running spot on now, oil was filthy, really black, there was some spec's of oil on the trumpets of the throttle bodies, but cleaned that up and the car is running well for now :) need to do a better test but seem's alot better