ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 (mk1) to Megane 225

Mark 1 Clio V6

I am seriously considering getting myself a 225. Saw an Inferno one at the dealer today and it is a sweet motor. Pretty well kitted as standard as well.

Has anyone on here got one that can give me their opinion and let me know if they managed to get a good deal?

I have seen one at newregcars.co.uk for a delivered price of £15,350.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

V6 to a 225? no thanks, Id take a mk1 v6 over the 225.

Unless I NEEDed the rear seats option etc.

Dont you find the totally UGLY back window/arse a total let down??

Most people I talk to hate the megane for just that reason, I wouldnt get one....ever

On a good note, they do look reasonable from the front and go fastish....

Simon.

Sorry to be negative to any megane owners here, its just my (and most people I know) opinion, You could hate the look of my V6 255 if you like.....lol

I think ur right Simon, its not nice at all at the back as many other people have said before, theres no way Id swap! Keep ur V6 Craig!! What other cars would u consider Craig?

Quote: Originally posted by shmall on 14 November 2004

Most people I talk to hate the megane for just that reason, I wouldnt get one....ever
Same here I dont like them but then again its because here not diesel I cannot drive one (peddles to close together) and for the list price there are other cars Id prefer ie the 1.9 Megan tdi.

But for £15k there good value and a decient car but not for the 19K or so there asking.

Id prefere a Megan though if I was looking for this sized car though due to its excellent safety record nothing can put a value on safety for the family.

Fair enough edde, for me a car has to get my heart pounding when I first look at it, the V6 does this for me, the Megane doesnt....its all in the eye of the beholder I guess, but if it dont look right first I will not even consider buying it....

Simon.

Not keen on the Meganes rear end. You can tell whos got taste and who hasnt, just by if they say they prefer the Megane or not!! ;)

GW Clio 200

forgive me if i am wrong but there isnt a lot of difference in speed between megane and v6? i agree that the v6 looks lovely but i think its very expensive for what it is. lets be honest, if your going to say the v6 goes this fast or that fast, you might as well have bought an evo or subaru for the same money which is much faster but not as nice looking. personally, i think you get a lot of car for your money with the megane turbo and i certainly wish i had bought one instead of my 172. just my opinion.

E91 M Sport

Id get a Cupra R or a Focus RS over the megane any day, thats if you needed the space (I assume thats why youre considering it?) Like the others say, the V6 is a badass unique motor and the Megane doesnt even come close...thats not say its bad, it just isnt the same.

well i was at k-tec yesterday getting an IK fitted, and david gave me the keys to his megane 225 which i was shocked at, but i took the offer and went for a min drive locally.

it was very quick and handled surprisingly well. i wouldnt swap the V6 for one, but the megane actually felt quicker probably due to its power delivery being more of a kick in the back.

Mark 1 Clio V6

I am looking for something that is more practical (hopefully starting a family in the next year or so), not so expensive to run (warranty/insurance/petrol etc), just as quick, Renaultsport (I am hooked), and not too common.

That led me to the Megane. I think it is a hell of a lot of car for the money. Also if I do decide I want more speed a chip is all thats required to blast past 255.

I can get a pre-reg Megane for not much more than I can sell the almost 4 year old V6 for. Yes the looks take a bit of getting used to, but I saw one in Inferno red yesterday and it was stunning. Well kitted out as well!

The V6 is constantly in and out of Renault (not saying that the Megane wont be) and that means a warranty every year is a must. I also want to be able to be far more flexible with my car - I dont want to be constantly concerned that it attracts too much attention.

I have loved owning a V6, but its time to move on..............................

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Do it....if it was a mk 1 id do it but if it was a mk2 then you would need a much better car for the money than a megane

JMHO ian

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 14 November 2004

I dont want to be constantly concerned that it attracts too much attention.

Well go for the 225 then because that wont attract any attention at all, apart from maybe "look at that ugly car" lol ;)

Simon.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Not everyone seeks attention.

The guy has had his time in a car that draws attention and maybe its time for him to move onto something a bit more subtle.The Megane 225 is a good choice.:)

my 5 min drive gave the impression that the megane is a great car for civilised use aslwell as balls out driving. it was very well made, and the brakes were amazing.

it is an ideal choice for your needs.

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 14 November 2004

Not everyone seeks attention.

I dont seek attention, I just want a car that make my heart beat every time I look at it. my V6 255 does that for me, the Meggane doesnt...thats all...;)

I have another car for my family needs......:D

Simon.

I know I an a V6 255 fanboy....cant help it....sorry....lol

Astra VXR 17/05/07

shmall,

Sorry if i misread your comment but saying ...

Well go for the 225 then because that wont attract any attention at all, apart from maybe "look at that ugly car"

suggests you prefer a car that seeks attention ;)

Good on you for loving your V6 though.I like you have another car for "family needs" allthough i must admit its nice for us all to be able to go out in the 182 occasionaly as a family.The Megane is a good choice for an all round car though and some of us non extreme cars owners actually think it looks ok :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 14 November 2004
I am looking for something that is more practical (hopefully starting a family in the next year or so), not so expensive to run (warranty/insurance/petrol etc), just as quick, Renaultsport (I am hooked), and not too common.

Only problem with every model in the renaultsport range (apart from the V6) is that unless you know what it is, it looks exactly like its lesser siblings - i.e very common!

Id imagine to most people a megane 225 looks like every other new megane on the road!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Thats the attraction for some of us though,oh some of the fun ive had in my 182 from people assuming its "Just a normal little Clio" ;)

Clio 1.4, SV650S

i didnt like the arse on the new megane, but having seen them close up and having a test drive in one (admittedly a 1.6) id deffo have a 225. the only thing for me is the price, perhaps in a few years when theyve depreciated a bit.

you could get a fiat coupe 20v turbo for 1/3 of the price, it looks better and i imagine goes better. but it would be at least a 5 year old car! but then this isnt the issue because the guy at the top of the thread has got the cash to buy one new...

i say go for it!

shmall,

Sorry if i misread your comment but saying ...

Well go for the 225 then because that wont attract any attention at all, apart from maybe "look at that ugly car"

suggests you prefer a car that seeks attention ;)

Well I do like a car that looks good..... :)

Simon.

TBH I prefer the looks of the clio over the megane but times change i suppose - there was a time i didnt like clios! I have seen a kitted 225 and that looked HARD. That pic was posted on here is anyone remembers it...?

Mark 1 Clio V6

Cheers for the opinions guys. I am 90% sure I am going to get one.

Need to see if I can get Renault to do me a deal on one or whether I sell the V privately and get it from newregcars.

If anyone on here has one and is reading this after the main discussion, then Id appreciate your comments.

So you dont like the arse end of the Megane then shmall ??? :p

damn you found me out, how did you manage that?? ;)

I tend to like clio;s, that why I joined a clio site, strange that,eh??? :p;)

Simon.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 14 November 2004
supercar to warmed-up family hatch? Your choice, but I wouldnt dream of it to be honest.

HA HA HA supercar ??? are you on crack ?

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

I like the 225 Meganes. And I like the design, Ive got a diesel in the blue similar to my V6. Love it.

And it does 60mpg

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 15 November 2004

supercar to warmed-up family hatch? Your choice, but I wouldnt dream of it to be honest.
I think Mike is refering to the original design of the car...the Megane has never been thought of as anything other than a small family car, but the Clio V6 was essentially rebuilt from the ground up, with the layout that many supercars adopt.

The V6 also gets as many looks as a supercar, while the Megane will blend in to any motorway like a flattened rabbit.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 15 November 2004

OK point taken, but according to Clarkson, "Its as mid-engined as a supercar; it sounds like a supercar; it goes like a supercar"

.. and thats good enough for me :cool:

Came into this late, but I recently changed my 182 for a Megane 225.

I got an ex demo with every possible extra, and a 5 door chassis for 18K.

I love it, even the rear end. Its got luxury (leather seats), speed (225 bhp 300NM torque) and it does get a lot of looks, (mainly from people i approach)!! The handling is not brilliant, and the speed sensitive power steering does take some feel away, but its quick enough!!

I am a renault sport nut, but would not go back to a clio

gary.

I like them, they do have a great hand brake that looks like an airplane throttle.

however the start/stop button is in the wrong place, when i had one every time i stopped (lights/junction) my passenger hit the button and left me looking like a fool that couldnt drive properly. grrrrr

I currently have a Cup (great smile factor, but ownership too often interrupted by trips back to the dealer - lost count of technical problems and design oversights that have come to light).

Ive always had the urge to own a V6, if only for a couple of years - Ive heard quite a few people say theyre always in and out of the dealer for warranty work - any opinions on the ownership experience would be appreciated - Im currently of the opinion that Renault Sport motors just aint up to the job (not helped by the chimps that do the warranty work)

Other option is Leon Cupra R (plus Jabbasport treatment) - just love turbos and thought this would be a great motor for the motorway commuting Ill be doing once Ive moved house. Any thoughts ?

Cheers.