ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 vs Trophy Round the Ring

I know it wont mean anything to most of you, but what the hell as FWD?RWD got to do with ultimately how fast either is round a track.

The v6 imo isnt my favourite of any drivers car because its just not built to be abused. It doesnt rev fast, it doesnt react fast, you cant chuck it about, the polar moment is copletely in the wrong place, there isnt enough power to really use a rwd chassis with the engine in the back. Its flawed as a drivers car.

The fwd clios, i took them every day when i had access to both 172 and v6, simple because it was faster point A to B. The manner in which you can abuse those little hatches is like nothing else, you wring its neck and throw it around by the scuff of its neck aswell.

Power round the ring on long sections, sure the v6 will have it down the really really long parts, but we still have 147 corners to play with. Not to mention the V6s brakes are apalling.

Calling a V6 is trues sports car is like, well.....jesus im gonna get flamed, calling an audi TT a true sports car.

Just my opnion, but id have far more fun in a trophy.

Not saying the V6 isnt nice, but im not interested in looks by any means.

Quote: Originally posted by toonboy on 15 July 2005

im not bashing the v6, i think they are mental but i would have to win the lottery before i could justify buying one. If i was going to spend 26k on a car i think my eyes would wander towards all the other possibilities if you know what i mean ;)

£26k is nothing fo a car these days mate (imho), If I won the lottery I wouldnt be spending a mear £26k on a Car...lol;) Id have an ENZO

RWD, btw ;)

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Steve V6 255 on 14 July 2005
Why dont you KIDS get real for a change, I now own a V6 and love it to bits, why cant you children accept that the V6 is an awsome car instead of trying to put it down against its own brand. I have owned Lotus elises and exiges which are probably the best handling production cars in the world, and I kid you not the V6 would live with an exige on the ring, simply because the V6 has much much more straight line grunt than the exige and the ring is full of straights. I dont doubt the Trophy is also an awesome car but I feel pretty confident I would get to the finish line before you. Give us V6 owners a break, lets face it , if you could afford a V6 over a Trophy you would have one. Cant believe since owning a V6 how many immature Clio owners there are out there. We should all be sticking together as RENAULT CLIO owners and not judging all the different models, unless in a decent and honest manner!  

Agreed, get the blinkers off lads a v6 would spank a trophy on the ring. The rings more or less a pure horsepower track, the v6 would pull a massive distance on the trophy along the straights and loose virtually nothing in most of the corners

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 15 July 2005

Why dont you KIDS get real for a change, I now own a V6 and love it to bits, why cant you children accept that the V6 is an awsome car instead of trying to put it down against its own brand. I have owned Lotus elises and exiges which are probably the best handling production cars in the world, and I kid you not the V6 would live with an exige on the ring, simply because the V6 has much much more straight line grunt than the exige and the ring is full of straights. I dont doubt the Trophy is also an awesome car but I feel pretty confident I would get to the finish line before you. Give us V6 owners a break, lets face it , if you could afford a V6 over a Trophy you would have one. Cant believe since owning a V6 how many immature Clio owners there are out there. We should all be sticking together as RENAULT CLIO owners and not judging all the different models, unless in a decent and honest manner!

Agreed, get the blinkers off lads a v6 would spank a trophy on the ring. The rings more or less a pure horsepower track, the v6 would pull a massive distance on the trophy along the straights and loose virtually nothing in most of the corners
nah sorry m8 your wrong.

the v6 as mentioned above has poor brakes isnt balanced and although has lots of grip once you exceed those limits your in trouble.

a v6 is a show car. a funny concept put into production (and rightly so) its a car used to ironically boost sales of the standard clio. its not wroth the cash i.e i can get a 210hp laguna 3.0v6 and with a remap, zorst, induction have 230 like the MKI same noise same engine.

it isnt a proper sports car not because the ingredients arent right but because there mixed poorly.

imo a standard BMW 3series is more of a proper sports car than a V6 its got 50:50 weight distribution, RWD, straight sixes and engine in the front.

Dont get me wrong i like the way the V6 looks, its a cool addition to the range they are still rare on the roads and still turn heads. But bottom line is its a £27k clio. A £27k one built on a chopped about shell, with a bodykit and the engine thrown in the back.

Its not a supercar nor is it the last word in handling or chassis dynamics as some people seem to think. Take the rose tinted shades off it looks nice but its still a clio. Would i spend £27k on a clio ? no, would i spend over £16k on one ? no. If i was spending £27k id buy a real car not a renault. As for which is faster round the track, id be interested to see, the gap the V would eek out on the longer straights i would personally think the Trophy would eat into on the bends. I wouldnt like to guess which would win but BenR has been racing cars since the age most of us were playing in sandpits so id take his opinion over that of a V6 owner trying to justify his purchase ;)

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 15 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 15 July 2005Quote: Originally posted by Steve V6 255 on 14 July 2005 Why dont you KIDS get real for a change, I now own a V6 and love it to bits, why cant you children accept that the V6 is an awsome car instead of trying to put it down against its own brand. I have owned Lotus elises and exiges which are probably the best handling production cars in the world, and I kid you not the V6 would live with an exige on the ring, simply because the V6 has much much more straight line grunt than the exige and the ring is full of straights. I dont doubt the Trophy is also an awesome car but I feel pretty confident I would get to the finish line before you. Give us V6 owners a break, lets face it , if you could afford a V6 over a Trophy you would have one. Cant believe since owning a V6 how many immature Clio owners there are out there. We should all be sticking together as RENAULT CLIO owners and not judging all the different models, unless in a decent and honest manner!  
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]nah sorry m8 your wrong.the v6 as mentioned above has poor brakes isnt balanced and although has lots of grip once you exceed those limits your in trouble. a v6 is a show car. a funny concept put into production (and rightly so) its a car used to ironically boost sales of the standard clio. its not wroth the cash i.e i can get a 210hp laguna 3.0v6 and with a remap, zorst, induction have 230 like the MKI same noise same engine. it isnt a proper sports car not because the ingredients arent right but because there mixed poorly. imo a standard BMW 3series is more of a proper sports car than a V6 its got 50:50 weight distribution, RWD, straight sixes and engine in the front.

Evo magazine and Jeremy clarkson might disagree its a show car. In fact the mk2 has a reputation for being one of the best handling hatches ever made?

Evo and jeremy clarkson......the last 2 places i would look for anything related to handling advice lol.

"can you slide and make smoke"

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 15 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 15 July 2005

Why dont you KIDS get real for a change, I now own a V6 and love it to bits, why cant you children accept that the V6 is an awsome car instead of trying to put it down against its own brand. I have owned Lotus elises and exiges which are probably the best handling production cars in the world, and I kid you not the V6 would live with an exige on the ring, simply because the V6 has much much more straight line grunt than the exige and the ring is full of straights. I dont doubt the Trophy is also an awesome car but I feel pretty confident I would get to the finish line before you. Give us V6 owners a break, lets face it , if you could afford a V6 over a Trophy you would have one. Cant believe since owning a V6 how many immature Clio owners there are out there. We should all be sticking together as RENAULT CLIO owners and not judging all the different models, unless in a decent and honest manner!

nah sorry m8 your wrong.

and you know because you have driven thousands of miles in one, yes??? NO

just opinions at the end of the day guys.

Why doesnt someone lend both a V6 and a trophy for a ring trip then, would settle it no problems.

V

v6Max

Ben the argument about FWD/RWD was more about what the average joe is familiar with. Its just a suggestion that most people are capable of pushing FWD harder just because its what theyre familiar with.

I spend most (if not all) of my time driving RWD and because its what Im familiar with Im more comfortable in a RWD drive - put me in a FWD and Im definitely slower, less smooth etc.

Combine this FWD familiarity with the fact that V as standard is a GT not a track car and it seems obvious that the Trophy would have the advantage.

Again all IMHO

Agreed, the V6 isnt a car to thrash the pants off.

But my reference was to people who expect the V6 to be more sporting simply because its RWD, rather than peoples familiarity with the driving wheels.