ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio williams or 16V

Ive finally decided to sell my little M reg clio rt (blue, 52k lowered 60mm on 15s if anyone wants to buy it!!?) and looking into buying either a valver or maybe a williams, is the williams really worth the extra money, especially about £700 difference in insurance!

Having never driven a williams can anyone give any advise?

Suppose the williams would have all the game standard which helps for insurance claims (hopefully none) and would hold its value when i come to sell it??

Not to mention the extra power and torqe.

Anybody advise me?

Cheers

220bhp octy VRS

Well I have never driven a 16v, but the williams is an awesome car. So much fun to drive. Go with your instincts mate.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

£700 difference in insurance?!? Bit steep!! I got quotes on a valver and willy, 500 quid for valver, 700 for Willy both fully comp and Im only 22 with full no claims and no speeding tickets. If it was 700 quid difference, sod the Willy and get a valver.

See, thats where im differant i guess, if u can afford the 700 quid - then a get a Willy, i love every second driving that motor...

How much would it cost in mods to get a valver as quick as a Willy???

id suggest you find a 16v with high miles, and slap in a willy engine,group12 insurance for williams performance! Thats what ive done.

16v has the power, but its right up there in the rev range, where as the Williams power comes in alot lower down. From my point of view, go for the Williams, but search around, see as many as you can and find the best example out of the bunch - You wont regret it, and as for insurance, have a talk to Liverpool Victoria (0800 608608) they should be able to do you a good quote on both the 16v and the Williams.)

The Williams has got a lot more status with it being limited in numbers and on paper should be the better car but consider this - very, very few 16v are standard any more so there is less of difference performance wise between them thesedays. However, both are totally different to drive - the 16v requires a bit more effort to go quickly (needs to sit at around 4500rpm to really move) wheras the williams is a bit more effortless - more torque so you dont need to gun it to so much. Equipment wise theyre also near identical...

Although id love a Williams (piece of history etc), i wouldnt swap my 16v for one because the valver just feels a bit less refined - that and its also less nickable!

Cheers guys, That quote was based on an AA online one. Its quite high because i only stopped scratching and got off my arris and passed my test last year. now 22 with one years no claims . Makes me sound like an arse but trying to make up for it.

ill have a gander around and see what i can find. I like the idea of a williams. what is the difference between the williams 1,2 and 3. appart from the age! i know they built 400 of the original and due to the demand shafted the original buyers by making more but is there much difference?

Thanks for the help

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

im asking myself the very same question! although i wont b gettin a new car until early next yr. however ive decided 2 get a valver mainly cos of the insurance...u c 4 me @ 19, 1yrs no claims + 1 crash countin against me which wasnt even my fault,...sum fuker drove in2 me an i had 2 claim off my insurance cos he had no insurance an was a bit pissed at the time even tho he had 2 go 2 court 4 dangerous driving which he was ordered 2 pay me £300 compo of which i have had £2.75 (this was ova a yr ago still extremly BITTER about it) the insurance on a willi2/3 is £1600 dearer than on a valver (3rd party)valver=900 3rd party willi=2500. also a good willi is as much as 5k wen u can get a mint valver 4 3.5k, it depends on how much money uve got 2 spend. that extra 200cc is very expensive. also wen lookin at the willi an valver standard there is v little performance diff especially in a straight line, it is more apparent wen racing down lanes mainly due to the lower ratio gear box n uprated chasis n suspension. if u are desperate 4 a willi u cud jus get ya valver 2 b resprayed an badged up 2 a willi 4 the kinda money extra u are lookin at an chances are u are gona get a better condition valver 4 ALOT less than a good condition willi. depends on how much u want the genuine article.

220bhp octy VRS

not just the power difference between the 16v and the williams.....

Its cos it IS a williams. The best things for me about owning a williams:

1) I have always wanted one...they have that image/feel about them.

2) The sound. I have a sweet sounding Magnex fitted. (although a 16v could have that). It really does feel like driving a sports/rally car. You dont have to be gunning it round a corner...its just a feel thing.

3) The feel good factor due to the awesome handling.

As you can tell I love my williams...didnt think I would liek it this much, but they are as good as all of the reports say.

Depends on yer point of view. £2500 gets you a good condition 16v and at that they are a sh*t hot car for the money. For a williams your looking at about twice as much for the same condition (as well as the extra insurance). £5000 opens up a lot more doors for cars you can afford, (GTi-R Sunny anyone). I dont think id be temped to have williams for that kind of money.

Dont get me wrong, williams are cool and are a significant improvement over a 16v. But the value for money side is nowhere near.

Cause ive never actually driven a williams as such...............but based on what ive heard etc etc........dribble dribble................

Hmm - its a hard one. Williams have come down in price to an extent that I would say the Williams. I have a 16v owner drooling over my car for 20mins yesterday - I went out to see what he wanted (Thought he was going to nick it), just to look he said LOL He said the difference between the cars wasnt enough to make him buy a Williams - thats why he got a 16v! Why all the fuss from him then LOL

On the power thing - A lot of Willies have more than 150bhp as standard and the difference between my Willie and my sisters mates 16v is defo more than 14bhp.

Why not buy a RG5GTT if you want cheap tunability?

I would pay £700 more for insurance but at thats me - I want a Williams - not a Valver.

its all down to you - no-one else can decide. The 16v is better value for money, then again a 5 turbo is better value than a 16v! but will you regret never buying a Williams - if the answer is yes then buy one - if the answer is no then try and find a pre-modded 16v.

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

Defo get the Williams if u can afford it, but if ur plan is to do loads of bodywork on the car, please dont do it to a Williams. Dont know what everyone elses views are??? But I feel that Williams are rare as, and should be kept standard looks wise :D

williams and trophy

dont know where u get the most valvers are modified now, to be as quik as a willy from

i raced probably the most tuned valver on the list at the time 3 times n beat it twice in my standard williams...(heh no dig intended mr read)..on paper therez hardly any dif between the valver n willys.......but the papers full of sh*t........my old valver(the quickest on the list at the time) was nowhere near as quik/agile/much fun to drive as my willy is/are lol

willy all the way for me

320d M Sport

yeah me too, there summat about them that just makes it more than a Clio. Imagine some bird asking u what car u drive, would u rather say Clio 16v, or Williams Clio!:)

I rest my case, damn im good. :D

if youve got the cash defo buy a williams, ive always wanted one all my days and to finally get one was such a great feeling, i handed over my 4 and a half grand with great pleasure and never regretted it since, they are simply awesome!!

its such a great feeling too driving up the street and everyone staring at you, and as michaelelder said,the sound is awesome, a magnex along with a decat and k+n, it sounds so powerful when you put the foot down!

get yourself a williams you know you want to!

my valver is modded ans has about 150 at the fly so u would thing it as quick as a standard williams but not a chance i have been side buy side to a standard williams and got left behind so i dunno where u got the idea that a modded valver is as fast as a williams coz it aint !!!

and my advise is go for the williams !!!!!!!!!! ask gti girl she made the choice and went for a williams

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 11 September 2003

dont know where u get the most valvers are modified now, to be as quik as a willy from
if thats meant at me then i think i said something along the lines of theres hardly any performance difference between the two - not that the valver is better / quiker etc..

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 11 September 2003

The Williams has got a lot more status with it being limited in numbers and on paper should be the better car but consider this - very, very few 16v are standard any more so there is less of difference performance wise between them thesedays. However, both are totally different to drive - the 16v requires a bit more effort to go quickly (needs to sit at around 4500rpm to really move) wheras the williams is a bit more effortless - more torque so you dont need to gun it to so much. Equipment wise theyre also near identical...

Although id love a Williams (piece of history etc), i wouldnt swap my 16v for one because the valver just feels a bit less refined - that and its also less nickable!

errrrr thatd be exactly wot u sed lol

and like i said before .....ive yet to see a modded 1800 stay with even a standard 2.0, let alone a modded one

and theres a lot of peeps tried ;)

even both me n my mate drove my valver n willy head to head back to back........result...............where the fuks the valver gone?

has he crashed?

i wasnt even pushin it lol

Get the Willy! Ive driven both and the Willy just seems so much quicker with so much less effort - plus the chassis is a bit more special too (I think?)

Basically, put it this way - if you dont get the Williams, wont you always wonder what all the fuss is about? ;)

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 11 September 2003

errrrr thatd be exactly wot u sed lol

and like i said before .....ive yet to see a modded 1800 stay with even a standard 2.0, let alone a modded one

and theres a lot of peeps tried ;)

even both me n my mate drove my valver n willy head to head back to back........result...............where the fuks the valver gone?

has he crashed?

i wasnt even pushin it lol
Im sorry - i wasnt aware that less of a performance difference between the two thesedays meant that a modded 1800 could stay with even a standard 2.0. Maybe ive just lost my command of the english language or something m8 cos that to me that means that the 2.0 is still the slightly better car.

As for the willy being the quicker m8, id agree that on the whole it is but if youd actually paid attention to what i was saying about the valver having to rev more highly (ie the whole wiliams gets its power lower in the rev range thing), youd understand that this wouldnt be so evident in a straight line with modded 16V - only on a point-to-point run.

Ive driven both m8 and yes, i may be a bit biased because i own a 16v but the valver has got more value for money when considering the above facts and that makes it better in my mind. At the end of the day, it comes down to status - if it was all about getting more power than a valver then the willy isnt the best car to demonstrate that. Lets consider what 5k upwards for a willy could also get you.......

I have owned both cars at different times, the willy is quicker and handles better but it will cost you a lot to maintain. Parts are expensive and requirers servicing every 6000 miles as apposed to 12000 on the 16Valve. Personally i preffer the williams to the 16v but i loved my 16v too when i had it, its just i had always wanted a willy when i owned the 16v and finally bought one.

If you buy a willimas try and get a 3, i think the colour is better, if you go for a 16v go for a phase 2 as the alloys are much better than the phase 1s.

Clio 197

I would say that if you have the cash, buying the Willimas is the way to go. You can drive it for a year or two knowing that youll get most if not all of you money back.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Phase one wheels are soo much better than phase 2s- and they are functional too.

Quote: Originally posted by garyross on 12 September 2003

I have owned both cars at different times, the willy is quicker and handles better but it will cost you a lot to maintain. Parts are expensive and requirers servicing every 6000 miles as apposed to 12000 on the 16Valve. Personally i preffer the williams to the 16v but i loved my 16v too when i had it, its just i had always wanted a willy when i owned the 16v and finally bought one.

If you buy a willimas try and get a 3, i think the colour is better, if you go for a 16v go for a phase 2 as the alloys are much better than the phase 1s.
Why do you say the williams handles better?

Alloys are a matter of preferance i think - some peeps like phase 1s better (like me) then some peeps like phase 2 wheels. (the nissan micra style ones ;))

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say that if you have the cash, buying the Willimas is the way to go. You can drive it for a year or two knowing that youll get most if not all of you money back.

-----------

Id say if you had the cash, but a williams engine in the 16v. Id say that was better then owning a fullblown williams. Not that there is a lot between the 2.

Think he meant that the Williams has a slightly wider front track (30mm or so) and a different suspension setup. Apparently its supposed to be less twitchy on the edge but i suppose that comes down to driving style and preference....

the wider track has nothing to do with the car - its the williams alloys that give it a slightly wider track. The suspension is the same as the clio 16v, other then the front suspension on the willy uses the same as the renault 19 16v. You wouldnt notice a performance advantage between the 2 i dont think.

Quote: Originally posted by rockport on 12 September 2003

the wider track has nothing to do with the car - its the williams alloys that give it a slightly wider track. The suspension is the same as the clio 16v, other then the front suspension on the willy uses the same as the renault 19 16v. You wouldnt notice a performance advantage between the 2 i dont think.
No the wider track was down to a combination of the alloys and renault 19 lower wishbones. You will notice this is you stick willy wheels on a valver - they dont come out as far of the front arches.

I was parked next to a 16V on wednesday and the difference in width at the front was very noticable - it apparently makes a fair difference too.

Willy2

I have owned both too and second gear in the willy is much better than the 16v 2nd gear(or i may have had a friday gearbox in the valver), for me the power in the willy is the most noticable thing and both cars have had exhausts and the same panel filter, i wouldnt look back. Also owning a willy for me is the best thing, im glad i upgraded rather than staying on the same level with the valver. These are my own opinions, there are valvers out there that are faster than the willy but i love the williams, i just miss the electric mirrors and the door pods in the front door cards, the willy does not have these!