ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Williams won't tick over???

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hello.

I've got a clio williams, the f**king thing WILL NOT tick over. Today I changed the plugs, leads, distributer cap, rotor arm and cleaned out the throttle body as it was about an inch thick in crap. The bonus it it now drives 100% better but still it refuses to tick over. It sounds like its running on three cylinders but when you rev it or drive it, its absolutely fine. The only problem is the fact it refuses to tick over on its own. Proper lumpy and cutting out.

Anything else I need to check??

Cheers.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cleaned the ISCV? Rediculously common problem with them.

I'm assuming you mean the idle control valve? I'm new to these Williams engines! Do I just remove the throttle body and it stares back at me? I've done loads on 16v vauxhalls and 8v clio's, but not on a F7p/r engine.

Come on chris, its not like I haven't helped you out loads in the past..... ;)

BMW M5 & E36
HA!

Idle control valve yeah. No need to take the T/B off, it sits just to the left of it. Grey plug on the top, cylindrical looking thing, pipe to the inlet manifold just to the left again.

Take it off and soak it in brake cleaner or similar and/or hit it with a hammer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I like hitting things...

Put another beer on the tab my love. x

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Now now Antoine, I am fixing the problems, not creating them....

Hopefully...

53 Clio's & counting
Pah, chuck the battery back in and she'll run!

Or give me a shout once you want it looked at and il shoot over you big ghey x

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Again, not a lot of point, seeing as i'm going to drive it into Bristol Docks tomorrow dinnertime.

53 Clio's & counting
Now come on, thats unfair to the harbour lol

On a serious note, let me know if you want me to and il come have a look mate, I replaced the icv on all 3 of my mk1 's lol, and if its not that a fresh pair of eyes can always help

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ok, seriously fcuked off now!!

Just done the idle control valve on it and its exactly the same. The car drives completely different now i've done a complete service on it, its like its gained 20hp!

But it still won't idle and i'm getting angrier! lol.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Interesting one, possibly a fault crank sensor as Budge'ster mentioned?

On my 1.2 when the crank sensor was on it's way out, it could get a reading if the revs were going some, but when they dropped down to idle it kept cutting out. (although if this was the case, it'd also be a bugger to start).

Checked fuel pump?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fuel pumps perfect.

I'm going to buy a gallon of unleaded and a box of matches in a minute...

53 Clio's & counting
lol right Saturday ok for you mate? Il shoot over in the morning if thats good for you?

Saves me keeping you late one evening lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That is very kind of you Russel, but i'm not here saturday. Unless you want a few hours with Dangerous dave and hismindless chit-chat. LOL!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fitted a new (secondhand) idle control valve, cleaned it all with brake cleaner then put it back together again. Its been fine ever since.

Did you fix it m8 my bro has got a 1.2 clio ph2 and its got the exact same problem?
1.2 phase 2 is a wholes different engine and potential problem/fixes

On the 1.2's check the throttle body give them a good clean out alos check the plugs.

You don't have an idle control valve.