ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio wont start

2002 1.2 16V
I was out cleaning the car all day and had the doors open. I was also wiring up my sub again so i was at the battery.

Went to start it when i was done and there was nothing. everything has been connected back up right but it wont even turn over. when i turn the key round all the needles sort of vibrate quickly and the service light is flashing this was still the case even when i tried to jump it.

Im assume that its just a dead battery as it has died before and been jumped so i reckon it has just had enough of being jumped. I will buy a new battery in the morning and see if it starts but if not has anyone had any similar problems that isnt the battery??

Its an 02 mk2 1.2 16v btw

Cheers
Chris

CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
Engines fucked mate - hardly worth scrap value now. Tell you what i'll give you £200 and save you from scraping it. Will pick it up tomorrow send me your address.

2002 1.2 16V
i put a new battery in this morning and there is power somewhere.

the cd player is working no other electrics seem to be working though.

So you think youve got a flat battery, Do you have a volt meter so you can test what voltage the battery is giving out? You will probably need a new one, So get one and install it.

But before you do that do the volt meter check if you can.

Also im not sure, But whilst doing your amp etc you may have blown a fuse. Not sure which one it could be, But best to have a check over them all once in a while.

2002 1.2 16V
I got a new battery and it made no difference the car still wont start.

Checked all the fuses and they seem to be ok. There is electrics working such as the cd player lights etc but the car just wont start.

2002 1.2 16V
@rich only checked the interior fuses and they seem fine. havent checked the ones under the bonnet yet

@armani the car isnt even turning over

Ph 1 172
did you tough the positive terminal on any bear metal...i did this on my old car and it tripped the fuel cut/engine cut off switch!!! just inbetween the battery and ecu should be a red topped button just press thatin and see if it works.....resets the sytem if i rember rightly

2002 1.2 16V
i could have touched metal.

is this on an 02 ph2 clio?? i dont see a red button around the battry area?

does anyone know where there is a reset button?

2002 1.2 16V
STA60599.gif

theres a pick there mate

cheers for all the help :)

Ph 1 172
right the first pic is a pic of your engine of where the button will be or should be either the place i have ringed or if you follow the fuel rail it will be along there somewhere.
n616405022_5987039_3951486.jpg

this pic is off the4 red button you are looking for its in exactly the same place as my old 1.2 8v clio so it should in theory be somewhere around there cant really make out your pic. if not folloow the fuel rail it must be somewhere around there hope this helps dude if not message me back some more photos of closer in the engine bay and ill try and se if i can spot it in the photos
n616405022_5987038_7188680.jpg

Ph 1 172
if you go into your manual that you got with the car it tells you how to reset the fuel as well mate shows you exactly where it is as well

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
it's slightly concerning that you don't appear to have a fuel cut off button!! when u said earlier the service light was flashing, do you mean the red led in the middle of the display? that's your immobiliser light, and that flashing lots when you turn the key means there's a prob with it.

2002 1.2 16V
there appears to be no kind of button at all in there I have searched high and low.

is there a chance that the newer clios all run through the diagnostics port for any kind of reset?

2002 1.2 16V
@tremor its not the red light its the actual service light "SERV" light that is flashing.

I know there should be a fuel cut off but i really dont see it anywhere.

anyone any idea where the fuel cut off in a 2002 1.2 16v clio is?

Last edited:
  Ph 1 172
according to other threads mate your car dont have a reset switch and alot of threads simply say undo your battery for an hour :S either that or it should tell you how to reset it in your user manual

2002 1.2 16V
well i have disconnected the battery for an hour to see if that helps and hoepfully i have a mate coming down later with a diagnostics machine.

2002 1.2 16V
Im in armagh mikey

I checked all of the fuses and fuse blocks under the bonnet and swapped them all out for the ones out of my mums clio and it still wouldnt start so i really dont know what is wrong.

2002 1.2 16V
Ok this is definatly some kind of electrical problem that wont let me start my car. Some things are working like:
Cd player
clock
electric mirrors
headlights/taillights.
And then there are things not working like:
electric windows
indicators
interior lights.
So im really struggling to pin point where the problem is that wont let me start the car.

Anyone any ideas?

Evo 8 MR
The fact that some things work and some things don't points to a fuse.

You say you have checked them all but have you checked them properly ie with use of a tool where you touch each point on the fuses and it lights up if its working. Even then it's still like finding a needle in a haystack.

I changed my headunit the other week and managed to blow a fuse whilst removing the old unit, turned out it was the fuse for the door mirrors that went so it could be any one.

clio 1.2 16v
is this sorted yet, i'm having the exact same problem with mine! all i was doing was fitting an amp, now it won't start!