ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio197 vs Toyota Prius...

And not its not a race!!

I have been offered a brand new Prius Hybrid T-Spirit with leather (£23k) as a company car but this would mean my R27 would have to go as i cant afford both.

The Prius is a suprisingly good car and drives reasonably well. It has loads of kit and will even park itself with a touch if a button. It has a 1.8 137hp engine with battery back up. Up to 31mph it doesnt even turn the engine on so no fuel costs when stuck in traffic.

Heres the quandry, if i opted for the Prius it would save me over £100 a month and thats before I take into account fuel, but could i live without the lack of performance?

Help me out!!!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
their fugly. imo you would end up getting bored and wan to come back to rs ownership. they all do. but if you want to save money go ahead

Clio 197 cup
How long would you have the Prius for? I know mates with company cars and they seem to be changing them all the time!

I don't like the prius and being a 197 owner I would say keep the 197 but sometimes you have just got to be realistic about things even if it's for a short while.

lol^^^

No competition really!! I keep changing my mind - Prius one minute then i come to my senses and want to stick with the R27.

I do a fait amount of miles in my car and the Prius would be more comfortable on the motorway, being an automatic an all, but its when you leave the motorway and hit those twisties

good point about how long i'll have it for - need to check. If its a year I might go electric!

Clio 182.
If i could save myself over £100 a month on running a car, by opting to take a s**t car, i would. So i could afford to run a Bike too.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
It's a really good option. I may take it. Esp as it's a low emission car and will qualify as such on your income tax comp, reducing your P11D benefits ordinarilly on Company Car Tax.

I would consider selling the 197 and spending a small element on a weekend car like a ph 1 172 or alike.

Would all running costs also be within the package?

If you want me to compare which option will cost you less pm me a few details and I will compare the cash flows as I see this fairly frequently.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
I hate the prius with a passion. Especially when i see one on the motorway.
Carrying those heavy batteries for no reason, infact i hate all these Hybrid cars.

get a proper "ECO" (which nothing is) car

I propose a ban for this fellow. Hopefully it'll make him reconsider posting such s**t on a car forum ever again. All those in favour?

RS RIP
I hate the prius with a passion. Especially when i see one on the motorway.
Carrying those heavy batteries for no reason, infact i hate all these Hybrid cars.

get a proper "ECO" (which nothing is) car

Indeed.

wait for the new + approved battery ; anyone heard of this yet ? It's supposed to be a battery the size of a suitcase able to give a car 500 km radius , charging only takes 5 MINUTES ! No energy-loss whatsoever , 100% in , 100% out.

This thing will be released soon, wait for it. When we get 10 years further we will all be buying an electric car :) Torque ftw !!!

btw; i would do it + get a weekend cheap RS

RS RIP
although i HAVE seen a very interesting doc on electrics being brought up by hydrogen ?

VERY powerfull and being water as a source , plenty available ?

It used to be a dangerously explosive thing to do , but they[ve managed it ?

Hydrogen fuel cells FTW. Either way, the industry won't allow any drastic changes until they have the means to make enough money out of it. That will require investing trillions to gradually replace the fossil fuel market. You can also bet a pound to a pinch of s**t that one way or another, governments will find ways to tax the s**t out of whatever does take its place. Motoring will not get cheaper.

All IMO of course.

RS RIP
^^ true

the fuel people being in power wo'nt allow these things on the market , they will suddenly come up with these themselves when the last drip of oil is extracted

I've spoken to people who know of all kinds of energysavers already being there , but it's the fuel mega$$$kings that have the power of the market

***hijack of topic***

Clio 172 Exclusive
How is the world going to charge these cars? Fossil fuels? Nuclear fission?

Quoted for truth! I loved the episode of Top Gear when they tested the Fastest electric car, and then they said, so how do we get the electricity to charge this? Zoom out from the car, to a big coal firing power station, to show it hooked up to electric power point, then mentioned the number of charging hours needed, plus how long the battery lasted on that charge. Short of the story, it wasn't worth charging it, as the battery didn't last long enough :eek:

Last edited:

Tav

Clio 197
The Prius may be able to run without an engine below 31mph but how long for? Answer...2 miles if you are lucky...normally a little less.

On a run @ 70-80mph (i.e. how people actually drive) something like 520d BMW saloon (hardly the worlds lightest car) will do better MPG. I think it was the times who tested the two from UK to Geneva.

The suitcase battery with 0% energy loss...well I was interested until I read 100% efficient. This is actually physically impossible. There has to be energy loses...it's the law...of physics.

High capacity capacitors are being made smaller in the near future. It may be possible to use these to run a car. 5 minute charge will get you current range of something like the Telsa roadster. You'll be able to charge a phone in 12seconds and run it for as long as a normal battery charge. Heard about this on Radio 5, yet to look into it, could be promising.

Would I buy a Prius? Ehhh no! It's just a marketing tool with a high 'early adopter' price. If you do big miles buy a 2litre diesel. Enjoy 170bhp, huge torque and decent performance as well as big MPG.

If you like driving...you know the odd b-road blast, long road trips to remote roads and maybe the odd track day then keep the R27. If you just use it for commuting it's wasted, get an econo-box.

RS RIP
^^ yeah, did do physics in school, not my strongest point. I hope the people who know will eventually kick the fuel-barons off their throne

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i laugh at people in prius's as i fly past on the motorway at 70mpg in the dci 100 riding the torque wave lol

however you are being offered a 23k car for free lol sell the R and you can always buy another or a cheap hot hatch to have fun with

i havnt driven my 172 in months and drive the dci100 every day and i love it its a riot and plenty fun, however a prius may not be too fun to drive? but i bet most other quick diesels are

Tbh i dint expect anything else than the comments i got!!

Dont get me wrong I dont love Prius's but its not a bad car, bar performance.

Unofrtunately its the only car on offer though. No running costs vs. running costs?

why not just put the r27 into the garage (if you have one) for the weekend and occasional b-road blast, and use the toyota for your work. All you would need is 6mths tax on the r27, tell your insurance company you're doing something like 4000 miles a year. That way, you are keeping running costs of the r27 to a minimum. Yes...it will depriciate in value but your also keeping the miles of the clock!

Suppose it depends on much deposable income you have