ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clios Cheap frills? Rubbish!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Bought my car back in october 06, for £4895 Since then i've spent £400 on cambelt then the water hose broke, grrr, was another £80, then tax at christmas, that was £190 then needed complete set of tyres, so opted to buy some 182 £450 wheels and sell the 172 (-£111) wheels, then a service at yozzasport for £201, now the wheel bearing had gone on the back so got new disk, pads and bearings, £175, changed the gearbox oil £40, hopefully getting a K-tec stealth (second hand) for £180,

4895+
400+
80+
190+
450-
111+
201+
175+
40+
180+

That equals £6500!!!!!

And the gearbox is fudged, est £330 for a refurb + £200 fitting
Need new disks and pads on the front soon, est £120

So when all thats sorted grand total will be £7150!

So since october my car has cost me £2255 just in maintanance, no fuel costs!

clio...
Should of spent more on the car in the first place ;)

At the end of the day though; Renault... French. Their reputation speaks for itself.

S-Max
Take it the car needed servicing and had a lot wrong when you bought? Did you buy cheap or not? Could just be bad luck

Ad

MK2 FRS
aye no point buying a cheaper car and then complaining about the service cost.. should balance that out.

Also some of that list are extras.

How come it was £400 for the belts and then a £200 service. thats renault money!!!

titanium 182,
most of that is general maintenance dude
bar the g/box and hose failing has the coolant been changed ever ?
do you spin your wheels all over the place or did the previous owner ?
chin up m8 your lucky it's mainly wear and tear items ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Nothing major has gone wrong apart from the box, was my fault. I never wheel spin it. None of them are extras, they are just needed for my car to be legal.

Bought my car back in october 06, for £4895 Since then i've spent £400 on cambelt then the water hose broke, grrr, was another £80, then tax at christmas, that was £190 then needed complete set of tyres, so opted to buy some 182 £450 wheels and sell the 172 (-£111) wheels, then a service at yozzasport for £201, now the wheel bearing had gone on the back so got new disk, pads and bearings, £175, changed the gearbox oil £40, hopefully getting a K-tec stealth (second hand) for £180,

And the gearbox is fudged, est £330 for a refurb + £200 fitting
Need new disks and pads on the front soon, est £120

Brakes, tyres, road tax there all wear and tear though.

Ad

MK2 FRS
but when viewing a car.. (i have done this too many times already. lol) you tot up what you likely to spend in the near future.. so for example, the tax is due so £190, new tyres in a few thousand... etc. and then compare the price to others..

if its cheaper.. great. if not then walk away. The majority of the above could have been anticipated at time of purchase.

Im not being funny at all.. tis just the way i see it.

also for the parts you have done, it is cheap, for a perfomance car, my workhorse which is a volvo would ave been substanially more for nearly all of those.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
but when viewing a car.. (i have done this too many times already. lol) you tot up what you likely to spend in the near future.. so for example, the tax is due so £190, new tyres in a few thousand... etc. and then compare the price to others..

if its cheaper.. great. if not then walk away. The majority of the above could have been anticipated at time of purchase.

Im not being funny at all.. tis just the way i see it.

I did, car was about £1k underpriced, and i've done 15k since i got it, think it's just cos everything has hit me at once, Service, wheels, disks and exhaust have all been this month.

Ad

MK2 FRS
lol fair do's in a month thats some whack.... but its pretty much all done now (except the clutch) so should be anymore wear and tear items for a while.

53 Clio's & counting
in cluding buying my 172 and buying new exhaust,n/s window reg and motor,6 months tax,2 new engine mounts and oil and filter change comes to £2570

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
christ rolllo just dont get a proper sports car!
Why are you complaining at tax and consumables? Did you not look into this before u got the car?
The gearbox is a bit unfortunate tho

Breaking A 172 Replica
What you have to remember is money will not be lost in the exhaust and little will be lost in the 182 alloys.

And 330 for a Gbox refurb?!

Whole engines + boxes go for 250 on eBay!

Sounds to me like you don't source the part very carefully!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What you have to remember is money will not be lost in the exhaust and little will be lost in the 182 alloys.

And 330 for a Gbox refurb?!

Whole engines + boxes go for 250 on eBay!

Sounds to me like you don't source the part very carefully!

Well i do actually have a spare gearbox, but do i run the risk of it being knackered?

R35 GTR
I have spent nearly 500 on mine since buying it a couple of weeks ago.

£250 for brakes
£80 on 2 oil changes
£100 on exhaust and other things
Got to spend over £200 getting exhaust manifold gasket changed on tuesday....

Then there is all the petrol spent driving it around.:rolleyes: I got 20mpg after the new brakes were fitted.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
It's not just renaults mate;

I bought a Golf Gti G60 Edition One, 3rd one into this country, back in the mid 90's.
After a pasting, brake fluid was pissing out of the abs unit.
Took car to VAG, they had never even seen such a car, let alone have any info on one.
Eventually traced fault to TC unit attached to ABS unit...........are sitting down £1400 for an item not much bigger than a fag packet :mad:
Anyway sent a letter to motorsport department in germany, local vag were supplying free fluid by the crate still pissing out, got a phone call just before xmas from the stealers to come into see them.

Parts manager handed me a box with letter translated, basically our cars 'should' not develope this fault have this FOC & merry xmas.

You get what you pay for beware!!!!!!!!!!!

ST
I bought my 182 brand spanking december 05...

All its cost me is....

Two standard exhaust systems - warranty.

ITG panel filter - £38, my choice.

Yozzasport cat back - £500, my choice.

Goodridge braided brake lines - £45, my choice.

Eibach sportline springs - £80, my choice.

12k service - £75, general maintenance.

2 new PE2's at 11k - £90, wear and tear.

Its now on 14,100 so it'll prob need some new front pads soon, so a set of DS2500's - £101, i could get standard pads but its again its my choice to go for the Ferodo's.

Cars dont have to be expensive to run if general maintnenance is done on a weekly basis.

If you look after the car it'll look after you and your wallet.

Got my 1.2 16valve last July, since then:
£300 Cambelt change and waterpump replacement (Was starting to show signs of leaking so I thought I may as well get it done while the cambelt is off.)
£100 Road tax
£30 Oil and filter change, did it myself
£100ish 2x continentals for steel wheels, shortly after bought alloys
£25 tracking...

Think thats it, cars are expensive toys.
Nearly a year on and the clutch bites feckin high and I think it needs new front pads.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a expensive month coming up.

72k service
Cambelt change
Road tax
New brake discs

Thats life. At least mine is all paid up for, so not costing much a month.

Audi TT 225
pppffftttt thats nuffin!

Ph1 172 = £4500
Replaced springs because a rear was cracked £140
New standard rear pads?
LED dash conversion £60
Oil pressure sensor cant remember the cost
Tyres £60
New ICSV - £60
Pannel filter £40
Back box fell off, £317 for a prospeed
182 exhaust surround £18
Tarox discs and pads all round £400
Strut brace £60
ph2 rear clusters £30
Fancy headlight blubs £50 ish
New battery £60
Samco hoses £120
Gearbox rebuild, clutch, cam belt, cup setup, handbrake cable, service, labour £2000+ ish
Paint probably well over £200 for colour coding and alloys
2x MOT's £80?

Not mentioning many many £100's on cleaning products, polishing materials and bits, fuel, and other crap, headunit etc
I'm sure theres more Ive forgotten... with insurance, AA and other costs I guess well over 10k in a year and a half of ownership!

My ph-quicks gonna be one heck of a buy when I sell it on lol

Last edited:
  C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
ive spent 2500 in bills not inc tyres since i got my 172 in 01/05 that inc 450 cambelt.

done 45K since ive hadf it and 70k from new

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
alot of it my chioice but a lot of it isnt, theres probably £1500 of stuff ive missed on that list

2002 12 16v - £1700

new engine - £150
new gearbox - £100
cambelt kit - £80
driveshaft - £100
gearbox oil - £25
oil changes every 5k miles for 25k miles @ £40 a go!
2 sets of spark plugs £cant remember.
air filter £35
4 195/45/15 eagle f1s - £170
4x new dynamique wheels - £200
4X speedline turinis - £400
FK Coilovers - £700
Brakes (in total over 2 years) - £300
new interior - £400
ICE - £1200
couple of exterior bits - £200
insurance £1200
tax £200 (2 years)

Black Gold with cup packs
Drive it normally and don't hammer it everywhere you go guys. It will be kind to you then.

MKIII 138
you pay £4-5k on a cliosport you really pay £6-7k to get it sorted out.

i future you pay £2-3k for cliosport and you will again spend 5k to sort it out.

as one guy said, it balances out, no point getting a bargain if its faulty. but then again its very hard to tell either way.

try spending £6.5k in the first 6 months of ownership and you'll know the meaning of paying through your arse, my Williams cost me over £12k in maintenance in the time I ownded it... start adding mods and things and your looking near £16k on a car that cost me £5k...

Ad

MK2 FRS
you pay £4-5k on a cliosport you really pay £6-7k to get it sorted out.

i future you pay £2-3k for cliosport and you will again spend 5k to sort it out.

as one guy said, it balances out, no point getting a bargain if its faulty. but then again its very hard to tell either way.

dont completely disagree.. but a thorough look round will benefit you alot.

I looked a 5 172s before purchasing my current one.

Clio 172 mk2
All a bit scary when prices are added up

I've probably spent about 1k on mine in the two years I've owned it and 6/700 of that was on a stealth & sports cat.

Got to get new discs this month:(

air filter £35
4x new dynamique wheels - £200
4X speedline turinis - £400
FK Coilovers - £700
new interior - £400
ICE - £1200
couple of exterior bits - £200

You didn't need theser though did you.

Most of the other stuff was down to the age of the car brakes etc you have to change on any car so that not the cars fault.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
pppffftttt thats nuffin!

Ph1 172 = £4500
Replaced springs because a rear was cracked £140
New standard rear pads?
LED dash conversion £60
Oil pressure sensor cant remember the cost
Tyres £60
New ICSV - £60
Pannel filter £40
Back box fell off, £317 for a prospeed
182 exhaust surround £18
Tarox discs and pads all round £400
Strut brace £60
ph2 rear clusters £30
Fancy headlight blubs £50 ish
New battery £60
Samco hoses £120
Gearbox rebuild, clutch, cam belt, cup setup, handbrake cable, service, labour £2000+ ish
Paint probably well over £200 for colour coding and alloys
2x MOT's £80?

Not mentioning many many £100's on cleaning products, polishing materials and bits, fuel, and other crap, headunit etc
I'm sure theres more Ive forgotten... with insurance, AA and other costs I guess well over 10k in a year and a half of ownership!

My ph-quicks gonna be one heck of a buy when I sell it on lol

Remember i'm talking about things that need to be done! Not mods.

Audi TT 225
Errr yeah...I modded because things needed to be done. instead of replacing standard parts I got better ones instead.

Rear spring cracked, bought uprated
Oil pressure sensor leaking
Needed new ICSV
Needed tyres
Needed pannel filter because old one was dead
back box fell off so got prospeed
Discs and pads were needed but got uprated ones
Needed headlight bulbs
Needed new battery
Gearbox was screwed, clutch was gone, belts were worn out, handbrake cable snapped

Its all relevent with one or two exceptions!