ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cliosport legal advice team!

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I need a bit of advice basically, I've had my current insurance policy with Admiral for four years now, always paid up front in full with my mods declared ect...

I've always had my mum and dad as named drivers on my insurance dispite them never driving my car, as it brings it down by a fair bit, now I re-insured my car last month, paid the £700 odd up front and forgot about it, i get home last night to a email saying due to a discrepancy I now owe them another £340.

I ring them up and get told that in 2009 my mum made a claim on her insurance and I failed to tell Admiral that one of my named drivers had made a claim, their records have just noticed this, fair enough thats my fault I honestly forgot (she hit some debris on the motorway and there was no one involved so made a small claim for a bumper re-spray) but now they want me to pay the difference that it will effect it by for this current year, which i have no problem with but also for the past few years where I failed to notify them on insurance that is in the past, this doesn't seem very fair to me, surely they can't demand money for insurance that is no longer valid?

I tried to explain that i've always been honest and declared my mods and my previous claim to keep my insurance 100% legit and its obviously a oversight on my (and theirs if its taken three years to notice) so its not something i would avoid telling them on purpose.

I asked if I had chose to go elsewhere this year would they still be chasing the money and they replied well no but as your still a customer now they need the payment back, where do i stand? I appreciate its my fault for neglecting to tell them but the years in the past should be swept under the carpet as far as i'm concered and the debt that is owed for the past years should be wiped off?

Cheers guys

SQ5
If you've only had the insurance 14 days cancel, get a full refund and go elsewhere. Threaten that and they'll soon clear it. Admiral are retarded like that. Hence my Girlfriend insured her 172 at 18 with 1 year NCB for £300 with them due to them having a s**t system and people that can't talk English.

Admiral are wicked tbf, if you get the right person. I just plain and simply asked for discount on my insurance and they gave it LOL. No other competitive quotes needed either.

I wouldn't be paying that. I'm sure that you've already given them enough of your money. Do as Danny says.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I've had this years policy more than the 14 days, i thought of that but i assume they'd just take the £340 out of any money that they'd pay me back :(

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Nope its only a extra £40 for this year which i said i have no problem paying, afterall its my fault for forgetting to tell them, I just don't think its fair that the past three years difference adds up to £300 and they want that back paying!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Be careful that you dont end up black listed for dishonesty, insurance companies can be a law unto themselves and if that happens you could see future policies increase by far more.

TBH I would probably have a bit of a moan, see if they will do a deal and then if not just cough up as for the sake of the cost of half a dozen tanks of fuel its not worth the aggro, bottom line is you (unintentionally) did mislead them and its only what you should have paid anyway.

Nope its only a extra £40 for this year which i said i have no problem paying, afterall its my fault for forgetting to tell them, I just don't think its fair that the past three years difference adds up to £300 and they want that back paying!

Why is it unfair? In their eyes you have been dishonest in order to seek a discount. If anything you have committed fraud by not disclosing it. You should have told them about it and now you must pay the penalty

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Debit card in full

Yeah i was worried about that, worst comes to worse i'll just pay in rather that can blacklisted. Yeah thats fair I tried to explain that although it was my fault I don't think its fair for them to charge me for insurance that has run its course, they're ringing me back monday so i'll see what they say, I just wondered if anyone had come across this themselfs and argued out of it.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Just pay it mate and when your policy comes up for renewal take you cash elsewhere. I found Admiral to be pretty expensive to be honest. Good old 'Sheilas wheels' FTW!

Astra (H) VXR
Why is it unfair? In their eyes you have been dishonest in order to seek a discount. If anything you have committed fraud by not disclosing it. You should have told them about it and now you must pay the penalty

Not quite. He said it was a genuine mistake. Very easy to do. Thy also have a duty to keep their records up to date an check them for things like this. It's 50/50 really.. I would call them
Up and start by asking to speak to someone who can understand you (i.e not someone from a middle eastern country reading a script) then explain what has happened and request a discount and say if this can't be resolved fairly you will take your custom elsewhere next year.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora

I sort of agree with that in but if I was trying to seek discount I wouldn't have bothered declaring my mods, yes I should have told but them but I honestly forgot and just renewed my insurance, I just don't agree with paying for past cover that has ran its course.

Not quite. He said it was a genuine mistake. Very easy to do. Thy also have a duty to keep their records up to date an check them for things like this. It's 50/50 really.. I would call them
Up and start by asking to speak to someone who can understand you (i.e not someone from a middle eastern country reading a script) then explain what has happened and request a discount and say if this can't be resolved fairly you will take your custom elsewhere next year.

I got through to a Indian chap first off then his manager was another Indian guy, I dunno wether its a call centre overseas or they just happen to work at Admiral over hear but they both pretty much said the same thing they are probably trained to say. I've used them for about 6 years now so and tried the whole i'll go elsewhere next year then, that is when they said they'd ring back monday and see what can be sorted.

I sort of agree with that in but if I was trying to seek discount I wouldn't have bothered declaring my mods, yes I should have told but them but I honestly forgot and just renewed my insurance, I just don't agree with paying for past cover that has ran its course.

Because you should have paid it in the first place and it is money they are entitled to, you have said yourself that you didnt add it which meant you got your insurance cheaper than you should have.

Not quite. He said it was a genuine mistake. Very easy to do.

Not really true is it? The questions are quite obvious. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

He lied (whether intentionally or not) to gain a cheaper price. Now he's been caught out. Time to pay up.

Ged

PD130 Peach
Well when I renew there's no questions. Just money out my account. Since he has been renewing for 3 years, and the accident only happened a year ago...

Very easy to do. See if you can pay a less amount. Best idea. And be sorry. Be the nice guy :)

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I didn't fill out the questions again as i just renewed but again yeah its my fault i'm not arguing that, if it comes to it i'll have to pay but I wondered if they had a right to chase money for insurance that has been and gone, they said if i had gone elsewhere they'd have forgot about it but my loyalty has now cost me £340

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
In the eyes of the law silence amounts to misrepresentation where insurance policies are concerned.

In other words, the fact you forgot to mention it is viewed as though you specifically lied or omitted the truth.

You have to pay it, you had full service from them, but didn't pay full price for it.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Admiral are very retarded. I went onto their site and did a quote based on modifications like a remap, lower, exhaust etc just out of curiosity. When I came to renew my insurance they wouldn't accept that my car was standard and demanded I get an inspection and a letter from Renault! How daft is that?!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just pay it mate and when your policy comes up for renewal take you cash elsewhere. I found Admiral to be pretty expensive to be honest. Good old 'Sheilas wheels' FTW!

Hate to tell you but Sheila's wheels are part of Eui ltd. who happen to be admiral :p