ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cliosport, lend me your ears!! What is this noise?? (Rear of the car, vios/sounds inside)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Its a loose, knocking noise and i dont know what it is or even where its coming from.

Car has had new discs (genuine) with all new spacers correctly fitted and done up to the correct setting. 175nm.

It has brand new Gaz "full" coilovers all round. I have fitted them fully, and i even removed the helper spring and tried again. Its now fitted normally again.

The exhaust mounts are powerflex ones. Ive even tweaked the exhaust and removed the mount washers. Its recently had a new genuine center mount fitted too.

These videos that im uploading are taken with me driving at 10-20ish mph with my missus in the back recording the sound. The rear seats are down and also the parcel shelf is removed. (It does it with these fitted normally).

Please help me decipher this sound!!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Video 1 & 2 is around our area, video 3 is around a nearby industrial estate then on the road and turning into our area.

You can hear it well on 40ish seconds upwards on video 3.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I've checked everything and it's all tight and as it should be.

Is there a chance it's actually the new shocks? This is the coilover type as opposed to the separate shock/spring.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Gaz aren't exactly known for there quality.

Have you got a pair of standard shocks and springs you could chuck on to see if it goes away?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Gaz aren't exactly known for there quality.

Have you got a pair of standard shocks and springs you could chuck on to see if it goes away?

Ive never had an issue with them before. I know there is better out there but i cant say its these for sure.

Check the lower strut bolts are tight too, any play at the bottom will travel through to the top mounts.

They are tight. Just out of interest do you now the correct torque setting?

dan's cast offs.
Am sure I remember someone saying about the new bottom bush/bearing can knock and having a spacer/shim made for it?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I suppose you've checked al the trim? Lights screwed in tight, nothing dropped in there? Boot shut tight? Or is it definitely a mechanical part knocking?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@bloke Yeah that has been mentioned. Also longer springs have also been mentioned.

I'm ging to swap the rears over with standard shocks/cooksports to see if it's still there. This will clarify if it's shock related or not.

@OssPoop It's definitely not the trim. That would be heard/seen from inside the boot and under the car. This noise only happens when driving on uneven surfaces.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Ed's gaz coilovers used to knock on his E21. It is seen as normal for them in the e21 scene and there's nothing can be done.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Something different, exhaust mounts or even wiper motor, give the boot lid a shake

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It's definitely shocks related. I put standard shocks and cooksports on last night and no noise. So I put the Gaz's back on and the noise is there. Doesn't seem as loud mind, but it's still there.

Also the allen key top for the rear top mounts has split. Not good. I'm going to Gaz in the morning and they are sorting it out for me.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Should have bought a set of Billies mate. [emoji106]

Why anyone buys Gaz is beyond me. Wait until they start to rust in a couple of weeks. [emoji23]

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Wow finally found someone with the same problem! But yours is a bit louder than mine though..
I was suspecting the rear exhaust mounts in mine as they are a bit loose and I have the milltek dual 90 mm exhaust tips and they do touch a little on the bumper trim but if you said that with normal shocks the sound is gone then there's clearly something shock related.
I bought my gaz kit in december 2015 and I suppose it's under warranty still.
Please update this after the reply from GAZ!
Thanks!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I know Scott! It just seemed such good value for money at the time and I really don't want to spend big bucks on the RB, it's not that kind of of car this time round.

I will get some coilover covers for them. I will stick with them for the time being my obviously get this issue sorted.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@ripp I will keep you updated mate. I saw your thread last night actually. Seems to be a few like it then. Mine isn't so loud as the video now but it still knocks.

I will speak to him about various things regarding the kit. They do come with a 2yr warrenty but I'll give it will say that the customer service so far has been good.

I will report back once I've seen them in the morning.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
OK, so I still had the knocking noise last week. After a bit of investigation it was due to the shocks. This was clarified by using another set of cup shocks and cooksports. By fitting these the noise disappeared. So the coilovers went back on.

A few messages to Gaz and I went to see them Saturday. Turned out the knocking was due to the valveing. They fixed it all free of charge. Not even a question or anything, was all totally hassle free.

Drove around the block, all the way home and the missus took it to work today, all with no issues. 80ish miles in total. So yeah that was the noise.

As for what ones to get, that's down to circumstances, preference and cost.

I'm sure bilsteins are the better quality but are more money. These come with damping adjustments but bilsteins have been proven to be great on both road and track. The good thing about these is you can spec your spring rates, should you want to something softer/harder. It's all swings and roundabouts really mate.

What I will say is that Gaz's customer service was excellent. I spoke to the MD over the phone and email and was assured that it would be sorted asap and smoothly. On the day, the chaps who sorted me out was great. It was simple and easy, no dramas. They was informative on what was wrong, what was needed and what they did. One even gave me a text in the evening to double check everything was OK. That goes a long way for me. I don't know if you'd get that from a bilstein supplier?

That's just my input and experience.

Bit better description and pics in here:

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/dr-jekylls-rb182-progress-thread.792956/page-9#post-11202104

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
That's quite true. I don't know of anybody either. They are a nice bit of kit.

The bilsteins are back up in price Scott. With this in mind, and Tyringham to not speed too much, I chose the Gaz's.

What I do like is that Gaz's aren't a million miles from me if I want to speak to them direct. I'm glad it's sorted now too though.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That's quite true. I don't know of anybody either. They are a nice bit of kit.

The bilsteins are back up in price Scott. With this in mind, and Tyringham to not speed too much, I chose the Gaz's.

What I do like is that Gaz's aren't a million miles from me if I want to speak to them direct. I'm glad it's sorted now too though.
I uderstand mate and im not being a ass, im glad you got it sorted mate. X

I did lol @ the not trying to spend to much!!

Awesome write up Mark, and pleased to hear you've got it sorted

Their customer service sounds awesome, and nice to see they explained it to you and didn't try to hide the issue - Yes having the problem in the first place wasn't ideal, but having it solved without a fuss is the main thing

Also there is some horror stories on Bilsteins and them creaking, even some as soon as 1000 miles, and the solution being to have to get them rebuilt - so they're certainly not perfect

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I have not heard that James about the bilsteins. But saying that, I've never really looked into them as such so I've only seen praise.

Yeah they was totally honest about it all. I think that helps because the customer (me in this instanc) knows there car and the noises it makes so sometimes it's hard to describe the sounds to someone on the other end. They suggested a few options but not once did they not believe me.

The MD assured me it would get sorted hassle free and he stuck to he's word.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Guess what, I emailed GAZ and explained my problem, gave them a link to this thread and kindly asked if they could send me the parts needed for the rear shocks to get fixed (since I don't live in the UK) and they were very nice, replied within half hour and said that they will dispatch the goods this day!
I'm very happy with their customer service! ;)
To be honest, I was thinking of billies last december when I bought the GAZ but they were unavailable in my country at that time so I went for the GAZ once again (had gaz before) but now it looks like a good decision tbh. I really like the idea of having them refurbed easily and at a decent cost and the fact that you can build them at your own desire.
I highly doubt that Bilstein have such a good customer service (well they are supposed to be better but who knows?)