ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ClioSport Rep - Progress thread

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Thought I'd dig out some of the old pics and details of my car & create a progress thread for you to see the transformation(s).

I bought the car in April last year (7 days after I was 17) and was on a provisional license, only got to drive the car twice before I'd passed my test though.

Pics of how it looked standard (curtesy of my younger brother), obviously at this point it had dynamique interior etc:

P200409_074101.gif

s
P200409_0741.gif

P170409_1440.gif

After owning the car for a couple of weeks I got it booked into a local garage and got it serviced, at the time I went away with the missus on the jetskis and got a phone call from my Dad telling me that the service had accumulated to over £300 :( Obviously I had to pay this but was gutted.
Also got some genuine "Clio" mats from Ren as the standard ones were sh*t.

After a month or so I decided it was time to "make the car my own", I couldn't stand having a boring standard car that was the same as my mates.

First mod on the list was a set of new wheels, I got them from a member on here, ace guy and he even dropped them off. Again I was away so my Dad fitted them lol.

Before:

P170409_144001.gif

After:

S5001591.gif

As you can see, while changing the wheels over I decided I'd paint my calipers, so sanded them down to get rid of the cr@p on top and painted them yellow. Also painted the rear drums black to hide them.

S5001585.gif

Next I noticed that my number plates were cracked and had started to rust, so made myself some new plain ones :)

S5001594.gif

Soon after I decided to purchase some blue indicator bulbs for the front, made a huge difference imo!

S5001595.gif

S5001592.gif

I quickly became good friends with a lad off here, Steve_182. He lives just around the corner and is a sound lad. He helped me to fit my RenaultSport grille, this made a massive difference, completely transformed the front end and is one of the best (and cost effective) modifications you can make.

S5001598.gif

Shortly after paniting my calipers yellow, I thought I'd go for the "bumble bee" theme, so I took my badges into the body shop and sprayed them yellow.

S5001602.gif

S5001605.gif

The car pretty much stood like this for a couple of months, until I had saved enough cash to do anything else to it.

Then came the RS interior, made a 7 hour round trip (with Steve_182 as my co-driver) to County Durham to collect them from a member on here, included were front & rear seats & door cards. Got home and with help from Steve, got these fitted...At this point the car looked a million times better than it did previously, shortly after I sold my old seats to a member on here.

Pictures:

S5001611.gif

S5001617.gif

S5001612.gif

After a bit of intense thought, I decided that I'd move away from the "bumble bee" theme and make it a bit more subtle and stealthy. With this in mind I decided to rub down my badges and spray them graphite grey, I think that this made the car look a lot more mean and sportier.

S5002080.gif

After looking around the forums and reading countless "lower it" posts on my media threads, I decided that my available funds should be used to buy some springs. I bought some Apex -40mm springs from a lad on here and travelled to Clitheroe to meet Daz aka Da, he fitted the new springs himself and I was off home, the ride home was very "firm" compared to the standard springs, so as a result the handling was improved dramatically. After driving the car for a few days, I noticed that my car now sat much lower and looked fantastic, the ride height was perfect for what I wanted.
Thanks to Da for sorting this for me :)

P140909_123301.gif

Next on the list I decided to colour code a couple of bits, so took my spoiler & recently purchased "sport" side strips to the bodyshop where they were sprayed, as soon as I put them onto the car I knew that it was a fantastic change and made the car look cleaner (aesthetically). I also decided to spray the bullets & lettering black to match the strips.

Not the best pic but you get the idea...Also you can see how low it was at this point:

S5001879.gif

P140909_1232.gif

Soon after, I noticed that my MPG wasn't too good and throttle response was terrible, so decided to buy some new uprated spark plugs. Half way through fitting them I noticed that my HT leads were shot, so had to borrow one of my missus' step dad's cars while the parts were shipped to my local Renault. After fitting these and obviously the spark plugs, I took the car for a spin. Straight away I noticed an incredible difference, the accelleration had improved greatly and so had the MPG. While I was under the bonnet I decided to change my air filter, so did so.

I also decided to change my discs & pads as upon inspection I noticed that the passenger side had a huge groove in the disc, so inevitably so had the pad.
I went to my local motor factors place and bought some Mintex discs & pads, fitted these the next day.
Again, I noticed a huge difference and the braking was much better.

Carrying on with the stealthy theme, I decided to spray my dash strips graphite grey to match the badges, they looked so much better than the old ones and would recommend doing the same to anyone, obviously depending on what your colour theme is.

I was browsing through the "For Sale" section on here when I stumbled accross a set of 182 alloys that were for sale, the lad was wanting to swap his for 15/16" wheels + cash naturally, I thought I'd try my luck and ask whether he'd be interested in 17s. The next day I was checking my emails, I'd even completely forgot I'd posted and I'd recieved an email from the lad, wanting my wheels + cash his way. I used my professional haggling skills to knock his cash price down and we finally agreed a price.
On the sunday I travelled down after work and did the dirty deed, I think that my wheels looked absolutely awesome on his 182 and his wheels looked awesome on mine, so we were both happy :)

Pics from the next day:

S5002077.gif

S5002076.gif

Next on the list were some flatblades from the lad doing the group buy on here, I paid him/his company and they arrived a few days later. They were easy to fit of course, they are so much better than normal blades and for the price they're a total bargain!

I decided to give my engine bay a good clean and spruce it up a bit by spraying my engine cover, it's not the greatest finish of all time but it's because it's the dreaded orange peel effect :mad:
Still looks much better than the standard colour anyway so I'm quite happy with it :)

*** MAJOR IDEA ALERT ***

I finally decided to turn my stealthy clio into a Rep, I'd recently gone through a stage where I wanted a new car, but after buying and fitting my 182 wheels I really did fall back in love with the car.

I got onto Ebay and started to shop around for the parts required for the transformation, I found a lad who was breaking a 172 Cup and had the rear bumper and skirts for sale, agreed a price with him & made the 2 hour journey in my Dad's car to pickup the parts. When I got there I noticed that he had a pasenger side wing that was broken but looked repairable, I asked him what he wanted for it and he said I can have it for free because he was going to bin it, I was made up naturally.
At this point I thought I'd see if I could get any other bits while I was there, so asked about the rear wiper cover & the dash clock, he chucked these bits in free of charge and after paying I made the drive home.
When i got home I quickly tried the rear bumper on the car and even though it was a different colour, it still looked awesome!

S5002087.gif

S5002088.gif

First of all I took apart the dash and fitted the new clock, I was majorly happy as I had never had this working previously (since I bought the car) so to have a clock was a novelty! Even now I keep looking at my watch to see what the time is haha!

Yesterday I took the bits into the bodyshop and I began to prep them, first job was to remove the rear bumper insert which was a bit fiddly but after a few minutes I did it. Next I used a machine with 400grit paper to sand down the imperfections, after the plastic was exposed at these bits I applied filler mixed with hardener, after drying, I used 180grit paper to rub the filled areas down and then 800grit over the whole bumper. Next I used a scotch pad over the whole bumper to provide the key along with the 800 grit paper. Finally I used the airgun and heatgun to dry the bumper, at this point I could see that the "shiny" effect had completely gone, leaving a "matt" finish, this could now be primed & sprayed, this will be done next week sometime.

Today I went into the bodyshop again and began the repair of the wing, it had a 5/6cm crack just above where the join is to the bumper. First of all it was plastic welded, then I applied a special glue over the whole crack. I then sanded this completely down to leave a rough finish, finally I used 180grit paper followed by 800grit to smooth it right down. After using 800grit over the whole bumper it is now ready to be primed & painted, however this and the side skirts will not be painted until I have managed to source the remaining parts required, these being the front bumper and driver's side wing.

In addition I decided to buy some new exterior door handles that I could paint to match the colour of the car, rather than the horrible orange peel effect handles that are currently on the car. I've sanded these down and they are also ready to be primed & painted.

I hope to spray the rear bumper and handles early next week, these will be put onto the car a few days after being sprayed as no other parts are needed for these to fit :)

Thanks for reading so far, any updates in the future will be
put into this thread.
Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
  Fabia VRS Special Ed
** UPDATED **

Last week I saw a 1*2 steering wheel on here that Jon_r was selling, by the time I'd managed to contact him he'd already put it on Ebay...So I decided to have a punt, I came home later that evening to find I'd won it :D
I paid the man and a few days later I walked into my kitchen to find the parcel resting against my window :)

I set about removing my old one and fitting the new, I had to borrow a T50 Torx bit from work and on Saturday morning I fitted it, however whilst driving I noticed that it was way out of alignment.

MAJOR FAIL ALERT - The next day, I decided to take off the new wheel & rotate it anti-clockwise slightly to get better alignment, as I was pulling it off (and hitting myself in the nose lol) the airbag wires got caught and yanked, I thought nothing of it and continued to refit the wheel...Soon after I set off for a drive, when I turned right out of the front of my road I heard a "snap" noise, then a moment later the Aibag & SERV lights illuminate :( When I got home shortly after I took off the wheel yet again and went to diagnose the problem, the airbag wire had snapped :mad:

Luckily a sound guy off here (Jenic) offered to send me a replacement part for just a fiver, obviously I jumped at the offer and sent the man the money. Hopefully this should arrive tomorrow and I'll sort it.

S5002111.gif

Carrying on from my previous progress post anyway, I've now put my sport rear bumper on and I think it really has transformed the back end, pics will be uploaded in the morning :)

I also fitted my colour coded handles at the weekend, again I think they have made a huge difference to the look of the car:

S5002118.gif

S5002119.gif

I managed to source a thin Megane splitter last week too, paid £30 for it from a guy off here...I'm not overly impressed with the condition as it was described as "very good", but hey ho I'll try and clean it up. I'm not going to fit this to my current bumper, instead I'll keep it safe until I get a sport bumper :)

Looks worse than it is tbh, stupid flash!

S5002115.gif

S5002116.gif

Today I was giving it the weekly clean inside & out, unfortunatey whilst cleaning the carpets I noticed that the passanger footwell was damp...So I reomved various bits of trim and liften the carpet out, only to find the sponge was absolutely soaking wet! I really don't need this as I have no money at all to chuck away.

Anyway I've removed all of the sponge etc and I'll probably just leave it out permanently, unless someone thinks I should put it back when it's dried out?

S5002112.gif

I don't have a clue where the leak is coming from to be honest, also the bottom of the rear bench (passanger side) was wet...I took the rail off the top of the car and there were no visible holes :S

That's it for the moment anyway, I'll upload some pictures in the morning when it's light.

Thanks for looking
C & C welcome :)

320d
Looks good. Still don't think i've bumped into you at a meet. Met Ste_182 loads of times.

Cimate controls a rare option on the 1.2's, especially the early ones like yours. Makes it look more like a real RS though, shame about the sunroof.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Looks good. Still don't think i've bumped into you at a meet. Met Ste_182 loads of times.

Cimate controls a rare option on the 1.2's, especially the early ones like yours. Makes it look more like a real RS though, shame about the sunroof.

Don't think I have mate, tbh I've not been to loads...A few but most times the meets are organised I'm working :(

Shame about the sunroof yeah lol!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Good write up this mate. Put a thread up about the leaks and I'm sure someone will be along to help you out.

Cheers buddy, I'll stick one in the faults section in a min...Every day pretty much I've posted in there now haha!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Pics from this morning, please excuse the ice :(

S5002130.gif

S5002129.gif

S5002128.gif

S5002127.gif

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Looks cracking mate! Rear bumper is a big improvement!

Thanks bud, I was waiting for someone to say "tyre shine", believe me I put this on about twice a week but my Missus lives in a converted barn which has a nice dusty stone path for about 200 yards :mad:

Charged Superleggera
cominng along nicely mate. i will be selling bits of my replica and returning it to standard soon mate so let me know if you need anything.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
*** UPDATE ***

Got the package today from the postman, opened it to find the replacement part that Jenic had sent to me :)

Straight away went outside and fitted it, and now...The steering wheel is fixed! I can't stress how thankful I am to Jenic - WHAT A LEGEND! :rasp:

Pics below of the steering wheel fitted...

S5002131.gif

S5002132.gif

Just need some thumbgrips and the inside is pretty much done :)

Navara, MGTF,307,KA
its getting there buddy!! i think silver door handles would finish inside off. other than that, your on the right track for a winner :)

Fabia VRS Special Ed
its getting there buddy!! i think silver door handles would finish inside off. other than that, your on the right track for a winner :)

Thanks mate!

I've just bought another 1*2 steering wheel that's in much better condition than my current one, at a bargain price too :)

That should arrive tomorrow and that'll be put on when I get time :rasp:

Had an absolutely hectic week this week due to one thing or another, hopefully next week will be a little calmer so I can progress.

Only a few weeks until my birthday, which should provide the funds for me to buy the remaining parts I need to complete the car, can't wait!!! :cool:

Fabia VRS Special Ed
lol where do you go around widnes?

We'll have to have a local meet btw and get some pics ;)

Fabia VRS Special Ed
** UPDATE **

A week ago I ordered a few of the remaining parts I need to finish my rep.

I ordered a sport front bumper from a guy off here, I got it for a good price and it arrived quickly.

016.gif

As I unwrapped the packaging I found a massive problem with it:

022.gif

It had split as you can see, I was absolutely sick!

Anyway I knew it was repairable (just about) so took it to my missus' step dad's bodyshop and began sorting it, while I was refurbing some alloys for a customer (David Moyes' son - tw@t lol) the father in law used his expert tools & knowledge to sort it.
First of all he riveted a plate onto the side for support, then he applied special bonding glue (£50 a pop) and sanded it down.

It was done perfectly and it will never come undone :)

Anyway I started preparing the bumper for paint, so I sanded it down with the buzzer (600 grit pad) until there were no sharp bits. Filler was applied to the stone chips and the area which had been damaged in transit (pictured previously). Finally I wet sanded the whole thing with 800 grit paper ready to be primed.

002.gif

004.gif

The bumper has now been fully primed but I don't have any pics at the moment :(

I hope to begin work on the sideskirts this week, I wanted to leave them for a while as I didn't see the point in letting them sit around in the dust as they are one of the last parts to go on.

In addition I have bought some new headlights (with grey inserts) as replacements, this is because mine have condensation inside and I don't fancy taking them to bits. These should arrive tomorrow/wednesday but will stay packaged until the car is ready.

I have also ordered a brand new wing from Renault which should arrive in a couple of days, obviously this will just need to be flatted and it can be sprayed to match my colour.

I also managed to source a cup splitter for a decent price, it has been sprayed (badly) but I'm sure I can salvage it, again this will wait until the car is almost ready until I begin work on it.

The only parts I require now are:
- washer blanks/jets
- lower RS grille
- fog surrounds

I do want to get some arch liners but I'm not willing to pay £200 +, so I'll fix the current ones until I can source some second hand ones for as cheap as possible.

The car also managed to pass it's MOT (first time) last week at Birchdown, it was checked over by the guys down the road and they said it was "perfect" so I'm over the moon!

* I'll update the thread with any developments and pictures so keep looking ;) *

alien green rs133
word of advise, bumper hasnt been painted yet, dad has a body shop, just smooth the washer holes over..

the blanks are pretty expensive and rare and the jets look rubbish

looking good though.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
word of advise, bumper hasnt been painted yet, dad has a body shop, just smooth the washer holes over..

the blanks are pretty expensive and rare and the jets look rubbish

looking good though.

Could...but it'll just sink eventually so I'll get some blanks when I get paid.

I know they're a lot but don't want to cut corners :(

DCi 100
May have some fog inserts for you in afew weeks time if you can't find any dude. Glad to see it's coming along!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
May have some fog inserts for you in afew weeks time if you can't find any dude. Glad to see it's coming along!

Should be able to source some dude, they have them in AC down the road for £25 :)

Only problem at the moment is time & funds, I've just paid my insurance in full (£1600) which was a huge decrease in price from last year, but at least now each pay cheque can be used for useful things lol.

I'm almost tempted to drag the project on into the summer where I'll be doing fcuk all haha!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
No problem,

You want it sorted for summer so you can enjoy it dude!

true lol!

I'm toying with the idea of buying a second (s**t) car as a runaround, then putting the clio in the shop and stripping it to the bare metal...Get a newer engine in, get everything cleaned up so its like new...The only thing that is making me think twice is the fact that its only ever goin to be a 51 reg 1.2 :(

DCi 100
Exactly why I don't like the whole rep thing. Waste of money in my eyes.

Going crazy on a little 1.2 is pointless as it is on a 172/182 etc in my eyes. It's all relative though I guess. If you have a ITB Renaultsport if it breaks your going to pay however much to fix it, it's only ever going to be so fast. If you have a supercharged DC5 then it's going to be alot faster, but it's also going to cost alot more to fix.

Such a piggle IMO.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Lol i could easily afford a sport, but i'm not payin £5000 for insurance haha! I'd happily pay £3000 though but no prices are anywhere near :(

DCi 100
No point paying so much for a car tbh. Yeah it's fast but, save the cash. Would you pay £20 for a cucumber at tesco?

You'd think you were getting raped. Same with insurance.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
** UPDATE **

Yesterday I got home to find a couple of packages, first one I opened to find my new headlights and the second I opened to find a wing.

The wing turned out to be second hand, mint condition but still second hand (ebay bullsh*tter) but I wasn't at all bothered because it's getting sprayed anyway.

Sneaky pic of the headlights (courtesy of davis88 and has to be said, what awesome packaging skills!)

003-1.gif

I took my new wing into the shop today to do some work, I used 800 grit paper to flat the paint and there were no imperfections such as stone chips etc so there was no need to apply filler. I used a scotch pad to do the edges too.

Pic of before (how it came):
001.gif

Pics of what it looked like after I sanded it down:
017.gif

016-1.gif

Notice how the paint is matt....You don't want any shine as that will mean there is laquor.

In addition, I flatted the primer on my front bumper.
I used 800 grit paper again and used it with a block on the main surfaces to ensure that it was perfectly straight. Once I had gone over the whole bumper a few times and ensured that were no "orange peel" effects from the primer, I could feel that it was like silk and ready to be sprayed.

Here are a few pics of the development...

These pics are from when i first got into the shop and the bumper had dried from the primer, I had just started flatting it here:

005.gif

006.gif

Here are a few pics of what it looks like now it is ready to be painted:
013.gif

014.gif

This picture shows the area which the bumper was damaged (see previous update post). There is absolutely no sign that the bumper has ever been damaged.

015.gif

Finally I got my sideskirts down from on top of the oven and prepared them for paint, first of all I used the buzzer with 400 grit pad attached to get rid of some of the stone chips, I then used a scotch pad over the whole things. I didn't get chance to fill the stone chips in but this will be done next week (hopefully).

Pictures:
022-1.gif

021-1.gif

020-1.gif

019-1.gif

Thats all for today folks but the bumper and wing should be painted over the next few days, so hopefully by the end of next week I'll have them on the car :)

Thanks for reading.
Liam

Audi TT 3.2
glad the lights got there in one peice, i made sure they were wrapped up nicely didnt want any brakeages! :approve: