ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clip Cup on Fifth Gear

197 Cup (JAWS)
Hi,

Did anyone manage to watch it ?

Forgot totally.........

Only place where I can find info is on the fifth gear website but theres no info apart from the mini not being able to touch the lap time of the cup !!

Anyone got any resources ?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It wont be on the 'Tube until later in the week!

Was excellent, cups a far better car!

I reckon its probaly got a higher centre of gravity but its far more race orientated than the S, better all rounder!

Mark 1 Clio V6
Yeah I was sure there was a lengthy thread about this last night, but when it wasn't here this morning I doubted my sanity......................

Haha, my mini owning mate rang me to demand I watch it. Was expecting the JCW to come out on top after the reviews I've read but needless to say I was grinning at the end. Texted him back to see if he's planning an upgrade to a cup ;)

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
never in doubt on track. 1 second is a larger gaqp than i expected though, considering the clio is heavier than the mini that was a eye opener.

I'm yet to drive the 197 cup but my experience of the R27 and FF197 is that they are slightly slower than the 182 cup and trophy. Whether the 197 cup varient has levelled the playing field or not i'll find out soon enough no doubt.

Still that means that the latest that beveria can through at the hot hatch market is still out gunned by 6 year old machinery. :)

RS 172
Looked really lovely in there. Gorgeous in white with the black wheels. Still, for everyday road usage I think I'd probably take the Works, just because its not so stripped out and hardcore :D.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Vicky had it over a second ahead - same day, same place, same driver.

Regardless of ability that a fair comparison imo.

Turbos.
Did look great on tv, still not sure the spoiler would work in the flesh though, every one i have seen makes me giggle.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
never in doubt on track. 1 second is a larger gaqp than i expected though, considering the clio is heavier than the mini that was a eye opener.

I'm yet to drive the 197 cup but my experience of the R27 and FF197 is that they are slightly slower than the 182 cup and trophy. Whether the 197 cup varient has levelled the playing field or not i'll find out soon enough no doubt.

Still that means that the latest that beveria can through at the hot hatch market is still out gunned by 6 year old machinery. :)

Nah they have plenty of grunt as shown, and are not 'slow' like peeps on here would believe. I've had a 172 Cup, a FF cup-packed 182 and now a 197.There is no marked speed difference between the 182 and 197........

DC5
Is the spoiler on the Cup standard? Car looked very nice!

Was surprised to hear to stripped down Cup was still heavier than the Mini. The Mini has got a bit of a reputation for being a bit heavy. Just shows you what a porker the 197 really is!

Mazda RX8
The Mini looked a bit crap (to look at) in comparisson to the clio...the Cup looked great...be nice to see the proper Works (211bhp as opposed to the bolt on bits from the dealer 192bhp version).

Goes off to search the net for 197's for sale :)

PH1 172 Sport
Good comparrison though I do think the spoiler on the cup looks like its come from Halfords. Would be interesting to see if the Mini tested had the optional diff as my girlfriends standard Cooper S (Without Diff) has serious amounts of Torque steer and when pushed just spins the inside wheel the low down torque is impressive compaired to my PH1 though!!

alien green rs133
they only baisically decided plato was a better driver than tiff, its not really a fair comparison as much as i love the clio beeting the mini, mate with mini cooper s gutted lol

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
They both said in a straight line the cooper was the quicker car,but on a track with the right driver the clio was the best.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
The Clio Cup is not 'striped out' and lightweight....

It doesn't have aircon (but its an option) which makes it 20kg lighter than a FF....it has a cheapo steering wheel and dash, 2 CUP badges and a spoiler (which probably add back 20kg), cheapo door cards, no xenons and the cup chassis...etc

It is not the same comparison as the original 172 Cup and 172 FF

Wow....

Mark 1 Clio V6
But the 197 Cup is a better drive than a regular full fat 197 and cheaper than a 197 full fat with Cup pack.

I think Renault have given us great amounts of choice on a great car.

I have had numerous cars with lots of different toys and "luxuries". This time I wanted to get a cheap new car that had the right drive. That's what I got. £13k as well!

Why some people have a problem with a choice of going for the cheaper model and saving a couple of thousand £'s I have no idea?
Sure it isn't lightweight, nor stripped out, but it is cheaper and that money is better in my pocket rather than wasted on all those "luxuries".

It's good to have choice.