ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cobra x-low subframe question?

Clio 172 Cup
I agree safety is paramount but to be honest there are other parts of the mounting system that are as weak as the subframe using only 4 bolts to the floor, the four bolts that locate the sliders to the subframe (my nuts were flush so nothing to be gained by fitted bigger bolts or removing the spaces, I did check having read about previous problems) or the sliders to the seat would therefore be the weakest link if that side mount is used to the chassis, the standard seat is mounted with 4 bolts so I'm some what confused why Cobra felt the need to add addional support on the side.

Be great to see that side mount being utilised or a pic of the inner sill. Might pop the plastic cover off and have a look (thankfully my car's not used during the week so should this mount be essential I'm not risking anything by not having it bolted yet).

Unfortunately I've only 20 years motorsport experience :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah can you pop that sill off and have a look for us? would be nice to know as im getting these ordered on friday!

want to be prepared so there's no problems come fitment day - i have no experience with cars :)

i personally dont think that the outer lug is designed to bolt to inner sill, but if there is a hole behind there that lines up with that lug, then i presume you could screw a harness eyelet through the frame and into the sill?

Clio 172 Cup
Not sure about putting the harness eye through the lug and into the sill, not usually that much thread on those eyes to get through the 1/4" plate on the lug and into the sill I wouldn't think but who knows. The only other thing I can think is that the seat mounts to the floor are quite offset so it does mean the rear frame mount on the outer edge is quite well forward, putting this mount to the sill would give some additional support towards the rear of the frame.

Think I'll drop an email to Cobra and see what they think, I won't get chance to play again until the weekend due to work.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
You cant fit a eyelet in the tapped hole in the sill, the thread isnt a UNF.

There is a hole for that tab on the sill.

The inner tab is to mount your harness too.

You can mount the outer harness on the old seat belt rail bolt (torx head)

Cheers

Last edited:
  C63 AMG, F430 & 172
My non low frames for refrence, mine does not have the outer tab.

photo-101.jpg

The two holes

photo-102.jpg

Harness connection on the inner

photo-103.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
Great, good to see those tapped holes in the sill. Still seems a little strange why they add that extra lug, I presume just that little bit extra security of a 5th mount point.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Yeah seems strange. There made out of s**t anyway, the cheap steel will snap before it rips the shell!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
so ben would you say, if the lug fouls on the inner sill, it would be better to just cut out that section in the sill so it sits flush. and then undo that big torx bolt holding on the seat belt rail and screwing the harness eyelet into there?

Clio 172 Cup
I would have gone with the GT width and I checked with Cobra and they reckoned no problem fitting them both together.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
rich y2, did you talk to cobra yesterday at all about the frame / inner sill?

i asked them about it but they wasnt sure when i spoke to them.

340i
A woman at Cobra said, with the x-low frames you need adaption bars!

Priced at £32.50 each LOL....

I am just going to order the frames and make them fit ;)

Clio 172 Cup
I believe the adaptor plates are only needed if you want to mount a side-mount seat onto the base-mount slide runners, should bolt straight to the subframe if you are happy for it to be fixed in one place.

I've dropped Cobra an email about the extra chassis mounting/lug, waiting to hear back.

340i
Yeah I just want them fixed... not bothered about adjustment!

I am 6ft 2" so will want the seat pretty low/far back anyway :evil:

Just got the frames for a billy bargain price from Tweeks, WIN!

Clio 172 Cup
I'm 6ft but have a big backside (!) and I'm finding the lowered position with the Misano's much more hot-hatch now than the std 172 Cup seats and these are on top of the slide runners and a small spacer so you'll gain another 1" lower (maybe a bit more) without these plus side mounting the seat will give you some more flexibility, think you'll be pleased with the results - which seat have you gone with? I was looking at the Imola (GT version) which seemed a well put together bucket for the price.

172 Cup
ive been looking into subframes and that for a while now as i have a pair of cobra imola S's. If you just going to be mounting the side mounts driect to the subframes there is no need to pay the extra for the x-low subframes. The normal subframes will sit you plently low enough.

You won't be able to use side mounted GT width seats with the xtra low frames unless you use adaption bars, Trust me I have tried! Even if you didnt wanna use the runners they are still to wide.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
A woman at Cobra said, with the x-low frames you need adaption bars!

Priced at £32.50 each LOL....

I am just going to order the frames and make them fit ;)

i was told that you didnt need adaption bars for: seat - side mount - xlow frame. that's it as far as i can gather.

rich y2, i sent an email and spoke to cobra again today, there looking into that issue with sill for me - what did they say to you?

Clio 172 Cup
About the same, she's replied and said she's waiting for her MD to return so they can double check, she was helpful pre me ordering the seats and frames so hopefully we should know more tomorrow maybe (she also mentioned you'd been asking, if you're Elliot?).

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah that's me! did you get your seats direct from cobra then? hopefully have more info tomorrow - or if mine turn out to be the same as yours when they arrive, ill just cut the piece out in the inner sill.

340i
I have Imola GT's....

That is annoying how they do not fit to the extra low frames :(

Anybody know why they do not, do they foul on any particular area?!

I will just order a set of standard sub frames... I don't think 1" will make much difference (In this situation anyway ;))

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
not sure why they wouldn't fit! im ordering the imola pro standard width so they can be used with x-low subframe :)

340i
If I had the dimensions of the frames, I could get one of the chaps at work to knock me up a set for a few £ £ £ (alot cheaper than Cobra prices LOL)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah thats the only prob i suppose. unless someone on here did you a favour and did some measurements of their frame and passed them on to you.

just hope when i order them there's no problems when i come to fit them. first thing i will have done to the car - bound to mess something up!

340i
yeah thats the only prob i suppose. unless someone on here did you a favour and did some measurements of their frame and passed them on to you.

just hope when i order them there's no problems when i come to fit them. first thing i will have done to the car - bound to mess something up!

yeah man... I will just end up buying a set myself, may measure them up to have it all on paper!

They are really easy to fit!

crawl under the car.... four nuts to undo (one each corner of original seat frame)

lift seat out.... drop new frame in place (with new bolts I imagine?)

Crawl under car.... tighten up new nuts and bolts

Bolt the side mounts onto the frame....

Drop your new seat in.... Bolt that to the side mounts

DONE!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
ha cool, ive been through how to do it so many times now its silly!! im sure it'll be all good, i just need to man up about it all :)

did you get good deal from tweeks in the end, did you order them today?

340i
The guy I deal with doesn't work today...

Shall be calling tomorrow, see what prices he can do on the "standard" frames

Will see what he cam do for me tomorrow :)

You shall have to post up some pics when youve fitted yours man

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah i will do once ive got them. will start a thread in project section too. done a bit too it now and when the seats are are sorted will be even more :)

is it john you speak to at tweeks?

cannot wait until i order them friday!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
cool, nice to get a bit of discount!

hoping to hear back from cobra today about these frames...

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah, the bolts are in effect welded to the seat frame on the standard seats so you need to undo 4 nuts under the car. The two at the sill edge are under a couple of rubber bungs and easy to get to but I needed to jack up my car and pop it on an axle stand to get a good view on the inner most nuts, these are accessed through a couple of holes in the cat shield but quite central to the car (my car's lowered slightly so would perhaps be easier if not). But not a difficult job, 13mm socket and away you go.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
rich y2 - have cobra asked you for any measurements on that outer lug on how far it's fouling on the inner sill?

i spoke to cobra again today, apparently they are going to change the length the outer lug sits out towards the inner sill so should sit flush.

jenny at cobra told me that the x-low frames i order on friday will be the ammended version so should hopefull sit snug.

Clio 172 Cup
Didn't have any email from them yesterday so they've not asked that, I presume this clears up what the intended use of that lug is? Sounds like Cobra's intention is that it is indeed for harness mounting and not chassis mounting?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yep thats definatly seems the way. That outer lug just needs to be shorter so it doesnt foul.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
ordered the seats today, due in 7-10 days time.

spec i bought:

cobra imola pro std black x2
cobra steel sidemounts x2
cobra x-low subframes x2
sabelt 3 point clip in black harness x2

cant wait!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
there the ones i thought look the best so i went for them. not a bad price, did you get any more progress with the frame fitting mate?