ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe for Sabelt Seat - Sparco?

Hello again everyone,

GSM are ignoring me so I'm going to vent on here and see if anyone has any similar experience.
On Saturday 23rd November I paid a visit to GSM in Nottingham to sort out the seat and harness for the 182 with a view to getting it race ready.
On their website it claims that "On a weekly basis the number of quotations we provide for Clio drivers means we know this car inside out. Need to know exactly what fits? We’ve got you covered."

So full of optimism I went in and spent an hour or two slowly speccing the car with the help of the guy there. I chose the Sabelt Racer Duo as it was in budget and felt easily the most comfortable and supportive. The guy there then added on the side mounts and the Sparco subframe along with the TRS harness and some eyes.
I specifically asked if everything I would need would be included and they said yes.

After saying everything would be with me by the end of the following week (November 29th) and a lot of back and forth and missed deadlines, everything finally arrived FOUR weeks later (December 20th).

Imagine then, my horror when not only did no bolts arrive (minor issue) but with the side mounts installed, the holes were way out of alignment with the subframe.
Having re-checked the details of the subframe they've sent me, it explicitly states no compatibility guaranteed with anything other than Sparco seats.
Now if I'd chosen everything under my steam I like to think I would have noticed this and checked more thoroughly. But because "we know this car inside out" I let them add the parts to basket, assuming they wouldn't c*ck it up.

Rant over.

Actual question;

Is anyone out there, in a MK2, using a Sabelt seat (Racer Duo)? And if so, what subframe are you using?
Follow up; did you have to modify any of the subframe hole pattern to get them to fit?

Not wanting to have a massive downer on GSM, but the service was fantastic right up until they took my money.
After that they seemed to stop caring.

Never mind.

Any help appreciated!!!

My subframe is covered in holes mate I wouldnt worry that its not perfect out the box. Seating position is very personal and such a hassle to get right.

I use @JON FOZ mounts, these are lower than omp or sparco, I use them with a seat slider and it allows me to keep my seat low, with omp Id be some inch higher..

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Unless you're quite short, i'd definitely use Jon Foz X-Low frames. He's also very helpful before and after sales, and has been selling on this forum and many others for a good number of years.

He's got a thread up on here with the product detailed and loads of pictures with different seats being used. Worth taking a look.

I've not personally seen anyone using sparco before in the clio. But the OMP subframes are notorious for sitting high and not level. I'd kick off and demand a return for a refund to be honest.

Hi guys, thanks for the input and the recommendation on Jon Foz. As it's now more than six weeks since the order and they've come up with no solution, I'm just going to ask for a refund as they've been absolutely useless. Really wanted to like them as the in-store service seemed excellent.

@JON FOZ are you okay for me to PM you to discuss or do you want me to put it on a thread?

Finally got a couple of coherent replies today.
After initially saying that it was physically impossible to side mount the clearly side-mountable seat to the vry standard subframe, they have now backtracked and admitted they c*cked up and recommended the wrong set of side mounts. Turns out I need the Sparco side mounts rather than the off brand units they recommended.
The sales support girl I've recently been talking to seems to actually want to help compared to the other two - offered me the currently £75 side mounts for £45.
This means sending back the originals and paying £15. For this amount to upgrade to proper Sparco over no-name and alloy over steel I'm happy.

Nice that they've finally rectified their mistake but such a shame the whole thing has taken such an incredibly long time.
Will advise when they arrive whether or not they fit, just in case anyone else wants to do this apparently not at all impossible Sparco-Sabelt combo.

Need to update the thread with some pics as well now the rollcage is here.