ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coil spring compressors

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if this is the right place but the coil spring snapped on our lasses fiesta, I’ve stripped it all, bought some coil springs but how the f**k do I use them safely, the springs are on such an angle the compressors just spin to one side etc.

many tips?

9B4DBB0F-5511-4892-90F4-7516011D8BE7.jpeg
C794A292-B682-45D4-9C60-3EC14789BF95.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Any way to put some weight on the spring? When it's compressed down a touch the angle will be lower and the tool shouldn't move.

Springs do look weird though, it's like they've already snapped a coil off :D

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Got any ratchet straps?

They look like el'cheapo compressors.

In the past Ive also used a hose clamp/small Jubilee Clio on the spring to stop the spring compressor from shifting about. Once they are fairly tight they stop moving. But cheap compressors give me the heeby jeebies.

You doing both springs or just the one?

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
The claws/hooks are usually shaped so they don't slide also make sure you do them a small amount and then do the other side repeating untill you have the spring compressed enough to get the top mount on the shock.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've used those ones a few times, no problem.

Easier with an impact gun as it's a bit quicker.

The first pic looks like you've tightened the left side too much first as it's pulling it over to one side.

Start compressing the side which is higher up on the spring, so that it brings that side down to the level of the lower one. If you get what I mean.

You want them fully extended to begin with, so you're compressing as much spring as possible.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I've used those ones a few times, no problem.

Easier with an impact gun as it's a bit quicker.

The first pic looks like you've tightened the left side too much first as it's pulling it over to one side.

Start compressing the side which is higher up on the spring, so that it bringsthat side down to the level of the lower one. If you get what I mean.

You want them fully extended to begin with, so you're compressing as much spring as possible.
The first pic they were quite level u til the right clamp jus slid round to the left 😂

going to give it one last go in the morning.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to get it compressed, stuck some rubber pads on the clamps to stop it slipping.

I haven’t fully tightened / uncompressed yet. I’ve never done this, only ever fitted coilovers but does this seem right, I expected a perfect fit at the top of the shock. I can move it so it’s perfect bet ur feels like it’s going to spring straight off when I release the tension. I did check it’s not upside down but the other way around it literally points sideways 😂

hope they haven’t given me a duff.

sketchy as f**k compressing springs tho!

this pic show what it sits like at the min
5A4ABCC4-7749-478C-9561-6668ED428FCA.jpeg
5BC3702F-FB35-45F7-B1F7-A8AECBEFF373.jpeg

F391F3CB-D571-48FA-8773-20603E3727D4.jpeg

this pic shows I can push it correct. Guess I’ll just release pressure n see what it looks like!

pics have uploaded backwards but you get the idea.