ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold air feed came off... Car running better??

Faffing about with side lights last night and couldn't get to the passenger side one as my cold air feed was in the way... so I took it off and accessed it. Ran the car for the evening and noticed that it seemed to be pulling really well... just assumed it was having a 'good day', but it was noticably 'lively'.
Got home and remembered that I hadn't reattached the cold air feed, I mean it was still close... and aiming at the box I guess but the connection wasn't there. Currently the feed goes down to where the foglight used to be... It may me wonder whether its worth having the feed such a distance away?

Opinions?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ive removed my forced air feed into my airbox and left the oversize hole open in the bay with the airfeed near by but not directly in my airbox. Much louder under load now and 'feels' better. Only an RR will tell if its made any difference though.

Ive removed my forced air feed into my airbox and left the oversize hole open in the bay with the airfeed near by but not directly in my airbox. Much louder under load now and 'feels' better. Only an RR will tell if its made any difference though.

same as me. sounds lot better for standard airbox with itg panel

Golf GT & A4 Avant
CIMG2718.gif

I don't know if you can make it out but my CAF from the front fog runs staight into the rubber hose into the airfilter. Are you saying it'l run better if I just had the CAF directed upto this hose and not directly into it?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Im not using your airbox Dave but I want one :p

Not sure though, but mine was partly blocked when it was on the rollers plus people have said air feeds from fogs lights are normally not great. Much better from the grill which isnt possible for my 172 at least. Ive disconnected mine and left it near the oversized hole I made in my ph2 box so it can pickup air from behind the light and also the air being fed to it from the feed.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've heard that about the fog light feeds, but out on the road, once you've stopped from a quick blast the foglight feed feels cold from the wind chill affect and the entrance into the airfilter alwasys feels colder than when I didn't run it.

It might be down to the fact that when on a RR, the fan isn't always directed to the feed, where as on the road it will be. secondly, you only have a fan blowing on it, where as when driving you have the added pressure and increased wind the faster you go.

I told the operators of the RR I had a feed from the fog so they re-angled the fan to suit.

I might try altering the feed to aim in the direction of the airfilter instead of directly into it over the weekend

hmmm will have to look into this more. I had a new exhaust put on last week and it felt smoother since then but definately felt better last night...

Have you by any chance got a corrogated hose running from the fog to the airbox with about 7 different angles in it at various points?

Cheers
M

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What would you recommend using instead of the corragated feed?

Mine has 2 bends in the feed, 1 where it turns up from the fog, then a 2nd where it turns back horizontal and left towards the airfilter. No worse than the OE set up I guess

Corragated hose is absolutely rubbish for air flow. It's okay for brake cooling but thats about it. You'd be better off just using it to supply ambient temperature air to the area around the airbox rather than restricting the airbox by nailing it onto the airbox intake.

Cheers
M