ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold Air Feeds - 172 ph2

1.8 Civic EX
Currently got an open induction kit, sounds good but thought it's time I helped it out a bit with a bit more cold air instead of it just sitting there sucking in all the warmth lol Might get a Samco bend on there too.

What have you got and how have you fitted it? Pics would be good too please. All existing/standard cold air pipes have already been removed including the accustic valve.

P.S - I'm not interested in the actual air filter talk and the arguments that come with it just want to know about the cold air feeds so keep on topic please.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Search through the posts on how people have fed it up from the lower grille or foglight up towards the battery/ headlight area.

IMO you're probably better off making some sort of heat shield from the engine first.

1.8 Civic EX
tried searching, loads of threads come up all over the place with it mentioned but no "guide" as such.

Heat sheild is ok as it's the Simota AeroForm that I have so it's already protected to a certain extent.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Is there much space with the simota to feed air to other than directly infront, it's been a while since I've one

1.8 Civic EX
Yeah if I get the samco hose as it will sit further back due to the bore of the samco, will be able to push the Simota right into it then rather than stopping at the ridge on the standard elbow.

clio 172 cup
ive got a 172 cup with pipercross viper, and bassically theres room for the pipe to go straight down to by the foglight, theres plastic there then which i then cut out and put it on the left hand side of the grill it was relatively easy, also ideal because of the twist in the pipe which would stop and potential water going up onto my filter, il take a pic later

clio 172 cup
the feed is held on by my filter tho at the top and it is secured in the front grill, ive cut some of the grill away and put a proper end! on it :)

1.8 Civic EX
sounds ideal. was it easy to do? I'm assuming jack the car up, take the wheel off and remove the arch lining to get in there?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
putting bends in a CAF reduces air flow, as will corrigated tubing, will need to be completely smooth on the inside to eraly benefit. so connecting it straight onto the filter will possibly reduce power, as mine did with the CAF from foglight straight onto my V6 airbox. better off directing the CAF towards the filter so it can suck in air from all around it.

clio 172 cup
yes but i had a normal pipercross on there and the temperature under the bonnet when the engine was up to temp is no good for the filter, my pp vipper is getting constant cold feed from the front, although u say it reduces air with a bend if its located in the front grill and ur driving into theres only one place the air is going to go under pressure,

and no i actually didnt remove the wheel or arch lining i fed the pipe down through the car then just lay on the floor and direct it to in front of the grill, there is a little bit of plastic that needs to be cut but its easy enough, id get a proper cold air feed though, it dosent really matter if its smooth or not because its under such force from the front, look up the pipercross vipers and save up for one im very happy with mine :) goes lovely with the ktec exhaust........

b/g 182, meg tourer
i think the simota's starve the engine of air, think the small cone filter that restricts it. but anyway, as its not a thread on filters... your best bet is to make a bigger heat shield to keep as much heat from the engine bay away from the filter as possible. remove the fog lights then run a large feed from the passanger fog light hole up to the filter, but not attatched to it.

1.8 Civic EX
lol i know what i need to do, i already have the tubing to use, 70mm diameter and a meter long. i just wanted pics and explanations of you guys have done it, like scotty has tried doing, cheers for that :) if you get a pic of the bit of plastic that needs removing that'd be great. I don't want to loose my fog lights, don't like the look and it's only being used on the road not a track toy.

Black Gold Trophy
to be honest Ryan I think you could spend a lot of money and time and not really achieve a lot.

But if you really want to do it I'd feed air from the lower grille, there are plastic bits either side of the radiator which you could easily attach a CAF which would feed from the lower grille

1.8 Civic EX
not too worried about the dolla tbh, had the simota for about a year maybe more, had the cold air feed since my old car, still in it's packet, never got round to using it so thats about 4/5 years old lol and the samco elbow is somthing i've wanted for while now if anything just to allow the filter to sit back in the bay a bit more as it's currently rubbing on the rubber bit across the front of the engine bay, it's so close it's alomost blocking the opening of the heatshield bit so just moving it back will probably make bit of an improvement.

Black Gold Trophy
you've had that air filter some time now as I remember seeing it at the RR day back in Oct '08!

It sounds like you've already got your mind made up on the samco bend, cant blame you, they look nice, I've got one on mine!