ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour choice.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I was reading a thread elsewhere the other day about a guy who repainted an RS Focus pink for his missus. The quality and attention to detail was spot on and for the most part, he was congratulated by fellow fast Ford owners. I suspect the RSF boys were less impressed, they're quite finicky about their motors.

So, my question is, given that 172 Cups are all blue (Barring the odd silver one) and Trohpies are all red, what would the general reaction be to one being painted a different colour?

If, like me, you don't care about the colour, what colour would you choose?

I'd go for BMW Techno Violet or Nissan Purplish Grey Mica. After all, the Cups and Trophies are defined by their driveability and quality chassis, not the colour of the body.

What say you?

Mini Cooper S sport
Erm, neither of those colours. Renault pay people lots of money to find the best colours for their cars and for the most part they get it right. They certainly did where 172 Cups are concerned, Mondial blue is stunning. In fact I'd argue Cups and Trophies ARE partly defined by their colours, especially since only Trophies are available in that red.

My ONLY alternative choice would be white.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
If i was to respray my 172 i'd go for either Porsche viper green, or white.

Not quite viper green...
green.jpg

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Erm, neither of those colours. Renault pay people lots of money to find the best colours for their cars and for the most part they get it right. They certainly did where 172 Cups are concerned, Mondial blue is stunning. In fact I'd argue Cups and Trophies ARE partly defined by their colours, especially since only Trophies are available in that red.

My ONLY alternative choice would be white.

Wasn't Capsicum Red available on lower spec Clios?

Mini Cooper S sport
Wasn't Capsicum Red available on lower spec Clios?

OK smartypants but not on the Renault sport range which is what I meant :)

Even Inferno is available on some other lower spec Clio isn't it?

BTW I like the alien green on the facelift 197, but I don't think it works on the Mk 2 Ph2.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sorry but i really agree with Liquid Yellow on this one.

Rarley do manufacturers get it wrong with there colour schemes with the hot hatches.

This is one of the reasons that you can tell them apart and have that appreciation for them, as for re spraying? Depreciation would cause you ball ache as it would lead potential new owners (for re-sale value) into thining the car has been crash-repaired etc so and so forth.

Leave it be imo

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Sorry but i really agree with Liquid Yellow on this one.

Rarley do manufacturers get it wrong with there colour schemes with the hot hatches.

This is one of the reasons that you can tell them apart and have that appreciation for them, as for re spraying? Depreciation would cause you ball ache as it would lead potential new owners (for re-sale value) into thining the car has been crash-repaired etc so and so forth.

Leave it be imo

What if you're not fussed about depreciation? My Cup is a keeper. A car is for driving, not an investment. A car is only worth what someone will pay for it anyway.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
If its a keeper then spray it white and get the wheels done lime green :eek:

Now that's just silly! :)

White is out of the question. Absolutely, postively, the worst colour to keep looking half decent. The only thing I hated about my Subaru and Astra GTE was the colour: Both white.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
What if you're not fussed about depreciation? My Cup is a keeper. A car is for driving, not an investment. A car is only worth what someone will pay for it anyway.

I feel the same way tbh.

My 172 is worth f**k all now, and i have a friend who has a spray shop so i'm quite tempted to go for a colour change.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
If I had the money, I'd definitely consider a different colour. I love the Cup blue, but I'm a bugger for doing things differently just to shake the tree.

A metallic purple Cup would look the pooches plums.

if i could afford it i would do something diffrent nothing loud be nice to know its a one off ;)

I was reading a thread elsewhere the other day about a guy who repainted an RS Focus pink for his missus. The quality and attention to detail was spot on and for the most part, he was congratulated by fellow fast Ford owners. I suspect the RSF boys were less impressed, they're quite finicky about their motors.

What say you?
got to admire the work thats gone into it
you failed to say miss kelly was a looker ;)

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S sport
If its a keeper then spray it white and get the wheels done lime green :eek:

Definitely, apart from green wheels...

Now that's just silly! :)
White is out of the question. Absolutely, postively, the worst colour to keep looking half decent. The only thing I hated about my Subaru and Astra GTE was the colour: Both white.

But it's one of the few non OE colours which really suits the Mk 2 Ph 2 shape. Black is as bad as white for keeping clean.

Mondial blue is lovely, why fix something which isn't broken?

Mini Cooper S sport

Well, because it's nice as it is. But if you buy one and want to change it, knock yourself out.

Lusty on here got his body-kitted monstrosity of a car painted sh*tty flippy-painted rainbow god-awful appalling-taste 'colour', but he liked it.

And ultimately, that's what counts.

If you want to waste your hard-earned and you like it, never mind what good taste says ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd love to Paint a trophy with satin black rattle cans and fit Apex springs on it.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Well, because it's nice as it is. But if you buy one and want to change it, knock yourself out.

Lusty on here got his body-kitted monstrosity of a car painted sh*tty flippy-painted rainbow god-awful appalling-taste 'colour', but he liked it.

And ultimately, that's what counts.

If you want to waste your hard-earned and you like it, never mind what good taste says ;)

What's taste got to do with it? One man's meat is another man's poison. Flip paint is the height of camp, I'd never do that. I just like the idea of doing something different just for the hell of it. And if it gets up people's noses, all the better. :cool:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I always thought an RS would look great in white, even all the blue in the interior replaced in white :p

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Why not try a vinal wrap, its cheaper than a full respray & if u dont like it u can easily change it.
It protects the paintwork & can be removed when its time to sell.
Here's some wrapped cars ive seen

15f99da264.jpg

867e9cc830.jpg

b16ae81c6b.jpg

cf7c6ce297.jpg

Audi TT
Loving the matte effects!

I want my roof, spoiler and mirrors done CF to match my bonnet. Funds is only issue stopping me