ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Combating Parking Dings

172DD Cup
any good solutions other than don't drive or don't park near anything? :rasp:
i work for dhl and in the morning the car park becomes a bit of a loading bay, i seem to be picking up dings at a rapid pace. other than parking elsewhere, what can i do?

1. i thought about motion activated cameras. you use to be able to get those things built into rearview mirrors that activated in an accident. something thats sensitive enough to pick up someone hitting your car with their door, or goods trolley.

2. reinforcing just below the swage line, with something solid stuck behind the door. bit of a wild idea but in theory a strip of metal firm against the inside of the door should make it stronger.

3. accept it as part of life.

Last edited:
I had a couple in my Clio, but they came later in its life and I wasn't so worried. If I got one tomorrow on my current car, it would be repaired regardless of cost. I'm more worried about rims though. I HATE marked wheels. The slightest chink taken out of a wheel tomorrow, and I'd be straight in for a refurb. Probably park up there and then, jack the car up, remove the wheel, and walk to the nearest wheel place with it on my shoulder. Do NOT kerb your allows. EVER.

clio 182 'full fat'
I had a couple in my Clio, but they came later in its life and I wasn't so worried. If I got one tomorrow on my current car, it would be repaired regardless of cost. I'm more worried about rims though. I HATE marked wheels. The slightest chink taken out of a wheel tomorrow, and I'd be straight in for a refurb. Probably park up there and then, jack the car up, remove the wheel, and walk to the nearest wheel place with it on my shoulder. Do NOT kerb your allows. EVER.
LOL thought i was bad! most people dont give a f**k, they rally up curbs and park in the closest available space at supermarkets, im one for parking in the far corner away from all other cars and TROLLEYS! my lass hates me for it

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

Lol!

Megane 275 trophy006
my brothers solution was to get even.

he parked up waiting for my other brother who popped into the bank.
I was sitting in the back talking to him.
Indian fella parks next to him, swings his door open and a loud bang.
Brother gets out the car, walks around to passenger side. Nice crease in his front passenger door. paint is cracked a peeling where the crease now is.
He shouts at the fella, who laughs, says something in Indian (he does speak English as he had been speaking it to his passenger as he got out of his car) and walks away.
cue my brother and a well placed foot denting the other fella's front wing in.

No one has respect anymore.

172 Cup
Numero tres. Try to find the end bay and leave as much room as possible, apart from this there isnt much you can do about other people's actions :(

1.2 16v clio
In agreement with pretty much everyone else, number three im afraid I get mine either at work or outside my appartment (we have numbered bays) got proximity sensors as part of my alarm but some people are just too careless...lost a wing mirror too once in a shopping car park over the Christmas period :mad:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I am the same. The Clio has it's fair share of car parking dings and dents 133k worth in fact, but they don't bother me TBH.....

However I cannot stand kerbed wheels, and if one was damaged it would be replaced or refurbed ASAP!

Westy. MX5
Parking dings to seem to affect French cars more than others, it's all down to the thin and soft panels. The wife parks at Tesco all day as she works there and with the Golf never had a ding in 5 years, the Peugeot had many in her 2 year ownership and the Fabia after 3 years has one ding. I have only visited supermarket car parks two or three times in the Clio and had 2 dings, I'm sure the poor old Clio only has to see a car park and gets a ding.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Parking dings to seem to affect French cars more than others, it's all down to the thin and soft panels. The wife parks at Tesco all day as she works there and with the Golf never had a ding in 5 years, the Peugeot had many in her 2 year ownership and the Fabia after 3 years has one ding.

Yeah our Fabia vrs doors do seem 'tougher' than the Clios

I park else where. I don't think you'd prevent it from the suggestions you've given unless you stick massive bits of foam on your doors in the day

I watch people open their doors on peoples cars all day long where I work.
I saw some lady do it to a brand new audi a4 last week, massive dent it made. I've noticed old people do it alot.

I don't really go many places but when I go to my local shopping centre I park right at the end where nobody parks and take up two spaces (every two spaces there's a pole inbetween)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I also take up 2 spaces when I park. All the time, everywhere unless i'm in a parent-child space with the little un'.

I couldn't give a f**k what people think. I'll continue to do it with every car I own in the future aswell.

I also always take up two spaces when I park, anybody who doesn't like it can kiss my hairy Scottish balls.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I also take up 2 spaces when I park. All the time, everywhere unless i'm in a parent-child space with the little un'.

I couldn't give a f**k what people think. I'll continue to do it with every car I own in the future aswell.

Snap and guess what, I don't get dings.

An orange one

This...lol ive only ever kerbed one wheel on my old R26 in 10 years of driving, i went straight home and ordered a brand new wheel from renault lol

couldnt stand it! i would be sitting at traffic lights and thinking that other people in the other lanes were commenting on my kerbed wheel...lol...crazy!

clio 1.8 16v
I parked covering 2 bays in a multistorey car park but asked the carpark warden if that was ok, he said if i put 2 tickets on he wasnt bothered. What a sound chap. Dont think it would work everywhere though. spoony

park.JPG

Aimed at me ?

Like I said, I park right at the end of the car park where nobody parks.

I'd be scared parking in Spain, the spanish don't give two s**t's. I sat on a bench to watch a woman park in a space 10cm bigger than her car and hit both cars about 18 times :/

I don't really have a problem with people taking up 2 spaces as long as there's plenty of room and they do it away in a corner somewhere. However if there's no spaces left and some inconsiderate c**t parks in 2 spaces leaving me nowhere to park then I'm gonna try and cram my car in there anyway. If I have to climb out the boot to get out then so be it. If I take your wing mirror off or accidently clip your car then... *shrug*... "I couldn't give a f**k what people think".

350z, Subaru Legacy
I always park in 2 bays, have even been known to buy a second ticket (as a parking attendant got moany) , unless it's at work as I don't need to - lot's of like minded enthusiasts in our underground car park :)

Sit in the car and give anyone parking near me a Mexican stare down. They tend to be more careful if you make eye cotact

182, 6r GTi

i like your take on that. why should we pay money for nice things for others to f*ck up for us.

Sit in the car and give anyone parking near me a Mexican stare down. They tend to be more careful if you make eye cotact

I had this before.

I was sitting in my car parked outside a cheapo chinese shop, this big fat Spanish woman squeezed in between my car and another, I just stared her in the eyes.

Watching her get out was a laugh, I know she would have just flung her door on mine if I wasn't sitting in the car.

Passat
Take up 2 parking spaces?! You arrogant f**ks! Nothing winds me up quite like that. You're not driving a Veyron you know.

Slightly off topic but I used to live on a street where it was really hard to see when you were pulling out. There was a 'keep clear' marking on the road but I'd seen this blue Jag parked over the markings a few times. I asked her to move her car politely and she flat refused. I drove off, choosing not to get into a public argument with a 45 yr old woman. When I came back an hour later she was still there. So in a moment of pretty rash logic I went home, got some treacle and lobbed the stuff all over her windscreen. Sweet justice

Take up 2 parking spaces?! You arrogant f**ks! Nothing winds me up quite like that. You're not driving a Veyron you know.

Slightly off topic but I used to live on a street where it was really hard to see when you were pulling out. There was a 'keep clear' marking on the road but I'd seen this blue Jag parked over the markings a few times. I asked her to move her car politely and she flat refused. I drove off, choosing not to get into a public argument with a 45 yr old woman. When I came back an hour later she was still there. So in a moment of pretty rash logic I went home, got some treacle and lobbed the stuff all over her windscreen. Sweet justice

Do you have any parking dings ?