ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Comparing my 197 and a Focus ST

Clio 1970000000
A friend of mine is going to tour Europe for a few months and wanted to buy a car to have fun with (driving over the alps etc) that he would sell in about 6 months. He had around £9k to spend and top of his list was a Clio 197. I let him take mine out for a spin and he loved it. He thought the suspension was very hard even without the cup pack and although the car was fun he found it a bit more skittish on uneven roads that he was expecting. BTW this has nothing to do with his driving skills as he is extremely talented on both road and track. He was going to see a 197 but ended up buying a Focus ST.

He brought it round today so I could have a drive of that. My first impressions were, quiet, compliant and bloody fast in a straight line. It didn’t feel that fast but the speedo was telling a different story!!! The seats were lovely, the car felt very well built and it was very relaxing to drive quickly or slowly. On the negative side, the steering had a fair amount of play in it and didn’t inspire the same amount of confidence in corners. This is fair enough as I only drove about 10 miles in it but the car was simply not as exciting to drive as my 197.

This really surprised me as I was thinking about a Focus ST before I bought my 197 and it has really brought home to me what a driver’s car the Clio Sports are. Now this might be my age talking (42 today :D) and I’ve had turbo cars before, but I have had thoughts that for most of my driving, I would probably have preferred a LCR which I have always liked and is a great drive. I was really close to buying a LCR too. Thing is, it’s not until you drive 2 different cars (even in the same class) back to back that you really appreciate the differences between them and having read so many posts about CS owners going away from their CS only to return, I finally understand and realise why I like my 197 so much. Yes my 197 is harder work to drive and yes it rattles and kangeroos when cold but even on short journeys it is exciting to drive even slowly. I never had any real intention of selling my 197 and having driven the Focus ST today, great car that it is, I still have no intention of selling up :D.

Z4
very true, it's hard to understand until you've experienced it first hand!

I used to love my 172 cup, but got bored of having to rag it to get the power out, rattles, poor build etc so I got an Audi tt with intention of getting a bit more power out of it.

Now I have 280bhp, lots of torque, excellent build quality, comfort, and I miss the french tin can!

Now I'm on a constant autotrader bender searching for 'drivers cars'! frs mk1, s2k, e46 m3, dc5, r26 etc. As much as I loved the clio, I won't get another now.

Petrol Blue Clio182FF
I drove a Focus ST the other week, only for a couple of mins though. It just didn't feel that quick to me and I thought it felt like a normal focus but the speedo just moved quicker. I'd much rather have the 'rougher edge' that a clio 182 has any day.

Iceberg 172
very true, it's hard to understand until you've experienced it first hand!

I used to love my 172 cup, but got bored of having to rag it to get the power out, rattles, poor build etc so I got an Audi tt with intention of getting a bit more power out of it.

Now I have 280bhp, lots of torque, excellent build quality, comfort, and I miss the french tin can!

Now I'm on a constant autotrader bender searching for 'drivers cars'! frs mk1, s2k, e46 m3, dc5, r26 etc. As much as I loved the clio, I won't get another now.

I remember you from the tt forum... They really are s**t drivers cars aren't they! Drive a DC5... you'll like that!

Megane R26
Wise words. I changed mine for a Meg R26, and tbh, I miss the NA engine and chuckability a fair bit. I'm looking at FD2 Civic's at the moment, and possibly 200's.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I bought my 172 september 08 and have had so much fun driving it on all sorts of roads and on trackdays. Evo magazine are always banging on about how great the Renaultsport cars are and I have to agree. The Focus is a nice looking car and seems well put together from what I've seen of them but all reports seem to say they arent as involving to drive and nowhere near as much fun as an RS Clio or Megane.
Mine is a phase one 172 which is meant to be the lightest one of the RS range. I'd never driven a Clio before this car and hadnt even considered owning one but I am totally hooked on Renaultsport cars now!I intend to keep this one for a good few years unless something happens to it. I get the feeling the Phase1 172's will become collectable in a few years as less of them will still be around.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
This is so true, the sane feeling I got when I drove the golf Gti edition 30, didn't make me smile at all, went down the same road in my 200 grinning and laughing my tits off, with sofaboy next to me laughing his head off aswell

Renault sports ftw

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same problem with the fst. Great looking and nice inside but it was just boring. Found the same was true with the lcr, 225 trophy.
Now i want an r26 but ive never driven one and wonder if a 197 would be the better bet?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Did you get my reply to your pm about fuel consumption?

Yeh I did mate, nice one, big problem though, my insurane won't cover me till I'm 21 on a focus rs but he's locked up for 5 years and said he isn't gona sell it until someone he trusts wants it so hopefully It will still be avalible in 2 years.

Bit gutted though

Z4
I remember you from the tt forum... They really are s**t drivers cars aren't they! Drive a DC5... you'll like that!

lol, they're not brilliant no...depends how you drive tbh.

Dc5 was fairly high on my list, I had a race with one the other day mind and gave it a bit of a hiding! Flashed the hazzards etc afterwards with the nod of 'fair play'!

Yeh I did mate, nice one, big problem though, my insurane won't cover me till I'm 21 on a focus rs but he's locked up for 5 years and said he isn't gona sell it until someone he trusts wants it so hopefully It will still be avalible in 2 years.

Bit gutted though

Ah righto. I expect you'll still have to bend over at 21.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Ah righto. I expect you'll still have to bend over at 21.

yeh i assume so, will be worth it though, his dad took me out in it last week!
wow!!!

awesome car u have got there roy

even if the haterz hate on you lol :cool:

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
One of my mates will disagree with you on that, his is back at ford having an engine rebuild, only done 9K!

ok then.......when it works its an amazing car. in a straight line it blows the clios away

BMW E92/Audi S3
Hmm.. I'm a boost man, myself.
I can see the 197 being good in corners/roundabouts/alleyways..

200 Silverstone #41
i had a race with a focus st on the nurburgring! wiped the floor with it round the corners in my 200!