ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering a freshen up, is it worth it?

PH1 iceburg
Having just got my lovely little ph1 off steve @r-sport i am considering spending a bit of money on it to tighten it up a bit. I am looking at replacing the front and rear shocks, front and rear disks, new wishbones and a set of sportlines.

Will it make alot of difference to the feel? Is spending over £400 just on parts silly on a car that i paid £1700?

How long is labour/cost gonna be for fitting these bits?

Its had all the belts done under a year ago so they are hopefully not an issue. Also had a new clutch. The only other things i see going are the driveshafts/cv joints. Its only on 78k and im hoping to keep it a while as a weekend toy but want it left reasonably standard.

I guess i know the answer that i should but i was just wondering wether its worth waiting for the bits to go or pre empting it?

I will stop drivelling now. :S

depends how tired said bits are, if they are good condition then no point and better spending the money on worn out bushes etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm just going to say something here mate. Nearly everthing about my car involves how good the suspension is. The gearchange, steering ect... all improved when I replaced all the suspension.

I wouldn't hesitate in doing that for that Price. The RRP on my parts were 1k roughly but when it's the cars best feature surely you want it to be perfect. We hardly have brand new cars anymore.

I think you'll be shocked by how much new suspension tightens up the car. Do it now.

davo172 has just done this he changed front and rear shocks new top mounts and a set of sportlines he has told me its the best thing he has done and wished he did it a few years back

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I recently did brand new cup shocks, sportlines, top mounts, poly wishbone, arb and dogbone bushes, ball joints and trackrods.

It's like driving a different car - the difference was awesome.

I could do with some engine mounts now, mind.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't replace brakes unless they are in need of replacing or you plan on doing lots of track work. Throwing your money away otherwise.

Polybush the whole front end, engine mounts, ball joints and new shocks/springs will make the car feel like a brand new one.

Oil & filter/plugs/air filter/fuel filter (if its outside the tank) and a coolant flush and change is all do-able yourself on the driveway and you will be happy knowing that you've done it all properly. Not to mention it will give the car a new lease of life.

Its worthwhile yep the whole driving experiance is affected by them. The brakes dopn't bopther unless they need it.

I refreshed the whole front of mine at 100k (some bits had already been chnaged more than once upto 100k ) and it was worthwhile however few of the bits had actualy done 100k in reality and I do/did treat my car hard.