ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

conversion to a 1.8 16v

looking at a clio
hiya everyone

i have got a really slow clio (1.2) and i went inmy mates one today and it was f**king fast and how hard is it and what would i need please helpme

cheers craig

340i
this has been asked a thouand times matey, try using the search function

But its quite an easy job to change an engine in a MK1 youll need...

Off the top of my head you would need:

Engine
Ecu
Engine loom
Radiotor
driveshafts

i am sure theres a few more bits somebody else will list for you

looking at a clio
sorry about that but i just wanted some quick replies on it and how much would u say it would costed

craig

p.s what is the 0-60 time on them

0-60 is around 8.5 i think and if your doing the conversion yourself around 4-500 quid if you change the cambelt,oil,plugs etc.

looking at a clio
so it is quite cheap then but i thought they was abit quicker than that but hay it is quicker eunf and what could u do to them to get them quicker and yes i will bedoing the conversion my self or my m8 will be

craig

so it is quite cheap then but i thought they was abit quicker than that but hay it is quicker eunf and what could u do to them to get them quicker and yes i will bedoing the conversion my self or my m8 will be

craig

2.0 bottom end from a Megan or a Williams engine etc as that more power than a 2.0 bottom end (Williams has different head plus cams).

Often best finding a whole doner 1.8 16V and sell the bits you don't want for the conversion.

looking at a clio
what has the 2litre bottom end got more power and more strenght to take the power and what will that give me then and how much does this all cost?

craig

looking at a clio
i no this sound stupid but what are the valvers and that quick and what gearbox could i put of it aswel because i would like a quite good top end to

craig

MK1 Clio 16v
Just sell your 1.2 and buy a 1.8 16v clio. Much less hassle.

They are cheap enough to buy now anyway.

S2000
you can re-use the gearbox and driveshafts off the 1.4. You would need a 16v fuel pump, suspension and brakes as well as engine, loom and ECU. You could re-use the 1.4 engine mounts, but not really the best idea tbh - better with the 16v ones.

what has the 2litre bottom end got more power and more strenght to take the power and what will that give me then and how much does this all cost?
Yep plus more low end revs power. Is more CC so more power won't take the high rpm though as well but the extra CC account for more.

Cost depends you can somtimes pick up Megan 2.0 bottom ends for £200 whole Willaims engines depends where you go upto £750 I'd say.
i no this sound stupid but what are the valvers and that quick and what gearbox could i put of it aswel because i would like a quite good top end to
1.8 16V the valver 137hp when new officialy

Gearbox loads of choice valver ones fine most peple do use them WIlliams one is a bit stronger. No point bothering with top end you'll neer use it 145mph cannot be used much anywhere takes long enough to get there.

so in sum way u r better off buying one then but how much would it all cost to do it?
craig
Depends what you change and what price you can buy whole valver for 1.8 16V sometimes £250 other time you won't find any under £1.5k

looking at a clio
fair doz so the 0-60 is quiet quick then in the end so i am looking at about 750 pound to do the conversion or many more does the megane bottom end just slide in or is it abit of a b***h. is it true what i hear you can put a gt turbo in there?

craig

looking at a clio
i no but i dunno what i am goin to do like some of my mates are now say put the gt turbo lump in there and it is buyin a 1.8 16v

craig

fair doz so the 0-60 is quiet quick then in the end so i am looking at about 750 pound to do the conversion or many more does the megane bottom end just slide in or is it abit of a b***h. is it true what i hear you can put a gt turbo in there?
Depends how much you get your bits for £750 bot an bad guesstimate.

What do you men by slide in the has to come off new head gasget and cambelt use the 2.0 alternator and flywhell i think best do a search.

Difficulty depends on our skill level being as you seem not to know what it is I'd say get someone else to do the swop only a few hours work to do. Need to have the ECU remapped to take account of the 2.0 bottom end.

i no but i dunno what i am goin to do like some of my mates are now say put the gt turbo lump in there and it is buyin a 1.8 16v

Gtt isn't a bad engine but people don't tune them properly just wack the boost up instead and blow them to pieces. Rebuilt one with new rings etc and ther'll be fine.

As for 0-60 depends these engine are 10 years+ old they get weeker with age often hence why rebuilding its the best idea.

looking at a clio
i no i wouldnt be doin the conversion but my m8 wanted to know if all the engine mount line up with the megane bottom end and the gt5 what about that do they all line up. i was going to rebuilt the engine anyway.

craig

i no i wouldnt be doin the conversion but my m8 wanted to know if all the engine mount line up with the megane bottom end and the gt5 what about that do they all line up. i was going to rebuilt the engine anyway.

craig

Yep Megan 2.0 bottom end mounts are the same.#
Engine type you want are F7R The new Megans 2.0 won't fit the 1.8 16v head (F4R code engines) as there different.

looking at a clio
what about the gtt engine because i was only goin to running it at about 185BHP but getting the re-build done professionally. does all the mount match and is there any other gearboxs i could use on it. the megane just sould like a good idea but i have alwayz like the gtt lump.

craig

looking at a clio
what about the gtt engine because i was only goin to running it at about 185BHP but getting the re-build done professionally. does all the mount match and is there any other gearboxs i could use on it. the megane just sould like a good idea but i have alwayz like the gtt lump becuase i like the turbo.

craig

what about the gtt engine because i was only goin to running it at about 185BHP but getting the re-build done professionally. does all the mount match and is there any other gearboxs i could use on it. the megane just sould like a good idea but i have alwayz like the gtt lump.

craig

You have to use the 1.1 day and night engine mounts I belive.

Loads of gearbox choices however depends how your going about it etc I'd personally make and wire in an ABS system from a new Clio which gives the speedo output which means you cna use absolutly any clio box you want and power the speedo with the ABS system output.

I'd go for the Megan lump with some cams and a ported head.

looking at a clio
what do you mean by 1.1 day and night engine mount or are you joking about. what would i need for both the conversion i no like the engine but what wiring loom and what other parts for the 1.8 16v and the gtt? sorry for being a pain in the ass to everyone

craig

what do you mean by 1.1 day and night engine mount or are you joking about. what would i need for both the conversion i no like the engine but what wiring loom and what other parts for the 1.8 16v and the gtt? sorry for being a pain in the ass to everyone

craig

1.1 engine mounts are from memory the ones you need to make the GTT engine fit.

Idealy get a whole doner car and do the swop.

looking at a clio
so the 1.1 engine mount will be strong enuf to take the power of the gtt engine. what gearboxs could i use for the gtt engine beause whatever i am going to do it re build the engine.

craig

so the 1.1 engine mount will be strong enuf to take the power of the gtt engine. what gearboxs could i use for the gtt engine beause whatever i am going to do it re build the engine.

craig

Loads of gearboxes to use JC1 is supposed to be ok Jc3 ie valver type is fine or there always the Jc5 boxes you could use like the WIlliams has.

craig

Loads of gearboxes to use JC1 is supposed to be OK although I woouldn't. JB3 ie Valver type is fine or there always the Jc5 boxes you could use like the WIlliams has.

You want to ensure you've got speedo input one though.

looking at a clio
what do u mean if i have the speedo input edde. you with the re-build would u put new piston in.

craig

what do u mean if i have the speedo input edde. you with the re-build would u put new piston in.

craig

You could resue the pistons but if your rebuilidng why not go for some lighter ones and a ballenced bottom end.

The early gearbox all have speedo output sensors so the spedo works the Mk2 cars more often have the Abs system powering the speedo. You'd ned to check the gearbox your using was the right type ie has the hole in it for the sensor.

looking at a clio
kl cheers edde so would the gtt reliable if i dont go stupid with the mods and i would have the bottom end balance n lighten and the flywheel to. do you think i should do the main and big end shells to thou?

craig

kl cheers edde so would the gtt reliable if i dont go stupid with the mods and i would have the bottom end balance n lighten and the flywheel to. do you think i should do the main and big end shells to thou?
Yep GTT will be reiable put people arn't ever happy with the stock 120hp or so and just wack the boost up.

No point ballenced bottom end on one ballenced bttom end for engine which rev the GTT makes power with boost not revs.

looking at a clio
edde i have been in contact k-tec and what they said it is quite an easy conversion but the hard part are wiring and making it run why is that.
so what do u think i should do to it because i mate has gone on holiday for 2 weeks so i cant ask him what part would be best to make is a reiable engine but with the power i want.

cheers craig

saxo
if you use the gtt lump it is carb aswell not injection.
youl be better off getting the 1.8 16v or 2 liter lump.
iam doing an engine conversion williams and megane and have done alot of research.
get as much stuff that fits that engine as possible is best [gearbox,loom ecu etc],although lower engine stuff may fit probably wont be upto the job engine mounts etc.
to do a straight conversion all you need basicly
engine loom ecu gearbox and possibly upgrade fuel pump.
if you want performance then install the standard engine make sure it works etc then mod it fuel system,cams bottom end head etc.

edde i have been in contact k-tec and what they said it is quite an easy conversion but the hard part are wiring and making it run why is that.
so what do u think i should do to it because i mate has gone on holiday for 2 weeks so i cant ask him what part would be best to make is a reiable engine but with the power i want.
Wiring will be difficult its just the way it is the 5GTT shouldn't be to bad realy as theres not many wires for it.

You'd need a rebuilt engine lowered CR pistons maybe then a speced tutbo ideal head work and cams would make for a nicer driver but thats costly.

get as much stuff that fits that engine as possible is best [gearbox,loom ecu etc],although lower engine stuff may fit probably wont be upto the job engine mounts etc.
to do a straight conversion all you need basicly
engine loom ecu gearbox and possibly upgrade fuel pump.
if you want performance then install the standard engine make sure it works etc then mod it fuel system,cams bottom end head etc.

Enigne mounts you have to use the 1.8 etc or 2.0 ones so there up to the job realy there the same as what sold with the car.