ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Low - slight leak?

I noticed that my coolant level was below the minimum level yesterday when doing my brakes. The engine temp is normal at the moment. I also spotted this inside the passenger arch:

20120930-kxp2f7sny1jxuk8c4h4258upnw.jpg

I was planning on topping up the coolant until I can get a garage to look at it but am not sure which type of coolant I should use. Reading around Renault Type D is the one? When I bought the car is had red/orange coolant.

Thanks,

Ben

Attachments

• 20120930-kxp2f7sny1jxuk8c4h4258upnw.jpg
    20120930-kxp2f7sny1jxuk8c4h4258upnw.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 47
Thats normal in the passenger arch iirc the drains from below the scuttle panel come out near there. unless the header tank or heater matrix hoses are split/leaking

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
with regards to the coolant type, if your planning on putting renault type D coolant in, you will have to flush the whole system out so no more of the red/orange coolant is left.

mixing coolants is a NO NO , unless you want to have fun removing sludge from coolant tanks ect.

get some radflush , flush the system, refill system with type D coolant after.

as for the levels, has it been like that for a while or have you just noticed?
check non of the hoses going to the block is leaking or the thermostat housing

Thats normal in the passenger arch iirc the drains from below the scuttle panel come out near there. unless the header tank or heater matrix hoses are split/leaking

I did think this could have been drainage from the scuttle panel. I'll have look and see if I can spot any splits or leaks.

with regards to the coolant type, if your planning on putting renault type D coolant in, you will have to flush the whole system out so no more of the red/orange coolant is left.

mixing coolants is a NO NO , unless you want to have fun removing sludge from coolant tanks ect.

get some radflush , flush the system, refill system with type D coolant after.

as for the levels, has it been like that for a while or have you just noticed?
check non of the hoses going to the block is leaking or the thermostat housing

About 3 or 4 months ago I topped the tank up with some water which has dropped a bit since. I'd prefer to top it up again and see how quickly it drops. Would some summer coolant (or whichever one is red) from Halfords be suitable?

ph2 Clio 172
id poor some water in, and put some stop leak stuff in along with it, you prob have a very small leak, this should patch it.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
fill it with water and watch the levels over a week or so and see how it gets on. check for any unusual wet patches in the engine bay