ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant - system near minimum!!!

Hi,

Filled up my screenwash bottle today, and noticed that my header tank has minimun and maximum marks. The coolent is above the minimum mark and I wondered what to do.

Can I just add half a litre of filtered tap water, or a bottle of still water? or do I need to add some special chemicals or something?

Sorry for the stupid question, but i really dont have any mechanical knowledge... i was really impressed with myself when I managed to swap my indicator bulbs for the silver ones. Thats my extent of knowledge :-(

Thanks for the help,

face

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Normal water will do, but you could put anti-freeze/summer coolant in aswell as it acts as an anti rust agent too, make sure you get the mixture right though.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 26 January 2003

Normal water will do, but you could put anti-freeze/summer coolant in aswell as it acts as an anti rust agent too, make sure you get the mixture right though.
Dont put anti-freeze in your screen washer container, it will damage your paintwork!

you dont need to go to renault, pop down to halfords and buy an antifreeze tester. That will tell you what your mixtures like, then act accordingly. If you have any queries ask someone there, theyll usually help.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 26 January 2003

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 26 January 2003

Dont put anti-freeze in your screen washer container, it will damage your paintwork!

re-read what he said...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by jaspa on 27 January 2003

Dont put water in, go to renault and get some proper coolant, otherwise you will have problems later
you HAVE to put water in, In the correct amount to mix with the anti-freeze/coolant

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by wado on 27 January 2003

you dont need to go to renault, pop down to halfords and buy an antifreeze tester. That will tell you what your mixtures like, then act accordingly. If you have any queries ask someone there, theyll usually help.
Yes get a tester and see if you need more or less anti-freeze, then top up accordingly with the correct mixture of cooland and water

Rang reno today, and they sell a 1litre bottle of coolant for £5.88, all ready mixed to correct strength etc. so you just top it up.

Nice and easy, thats how I like it!

Face

a fiver for a litre from reno, rip off, go to any car parts shop and ask for mixable ethylene glycol anti freeze, mix it 50/50 with water and pur it in till max mark (when engine is cool), should be able to get 5 litres (which will do 10 litres mixed) for a fiver or so. Dont let Renault rob you for stuff like that! As everybody says dont put water in alone, as it can cause problems in the long term.

Id take your car to the dealer - & them do a pressure test, as its possible your head gasket could be on the way out - you dont want a warped head.